Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you don't know Floyd boots, you don't know Floyd

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

If you don't know Floyd boots, you don't know Floyd

Whenever I hear someone say Pink Floyd isn't prog, I think about the amazing boots out there and how the studio Floyd is the minority of what's out there. I'm having another listen to the Extraction Tapes WYWH/Animals demos and being blown away all over again. I start this thread as a public service to those who have judged mid- 70's Floyd without knowing this kind of gem that's out there. Let's discuss.

I generally HATE all fan boots because of the shitty sound quality. (a single exception is made for Benedetti's Charlie Parker recordings because well, that's genius, right there. )

Now, professionally made and not re-issued FM radio broadcasts and such, those generally sound very decent. What are we talking about when it comes to the Pink Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post

Now, professionally made and not re-issued FM radio broadcasts and such, those generally sound very decent. What are we talking about when it comes to the Pink Floyd?
    You know, if you're that worried about sound quality, maybe bootlegs aren't for you.

The best sounding Pink Floyd bootlegs I know are the BBC recordings, particularly the two shows from 70 and 71. The one from 71 has a 13 minute version of Fat Old Sun with Gilmour and Wright both soloing their asses off. Why neither of those shows have ever been issued legitimately is beyond me.

The other two things I would mention are the KQED video (which I still say buries the Pompeii film) and the Fillmore West show from April 1970. Both were recorded on the same day, but are two different recordings.

KQED was shot at the PBS studio in San Francisco, and is a really cool presentation of the band playing about 50 minutes worth of music, including an early version of the quartet arrangement of Atom Heart Mother, Green Is The Colour/Careful With That Axe Eugene, Grantchester Meadows, Cymbaline and Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. And yes, it's a video, in case you couldn't tell.

The Fillmore West concert later that night was recorded from the soundboard, and sounds great. On this one, they open with Grantchester Meadows/Astronomy Domine, they do all the other songs that are on the KQED video, plus Saucerful Of Secrets, Interstellar Overdrive, and The Embryo.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I generally HATE all fan boots because of the shitty sound quality. (a single exception is made for Benedetti's Charlie Parker recordings because well, that's genius, right there. )

Like I said, if you don't know Floyd boots, you don't know Floyd. The one I mentioned, the Extraction Tapes, is from the studio. as they were working on WYWH and Animals. They are not fan boots. But, if you're not interested, feel free to pass.

Never heard of the "Extraction Tapes." I'm guessing that they're not the same thing as the "Immersion" products.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You know, if you're that worried about sound quality, maybe bootlegs aren't for you.

The best sounding Pink Floyd bootlegs I know are the BBC recordings, particularly the two shows from 70 and 71. The one from 71 has a 13 minute version of Fat Old Sun with Gilmour and Wright both soloing their asses off. Why neither of those shows have ever been issued legitimately is beyond me.

The other two things I would mention are the KQED video (which I still say buries the Pompeii film) and the Fillmore West show from April 1970. Both were recorded on the same day, but are two different recordings.

KQED was shot at the PBS studio in San Francisco, and is a really cool presentation of the band playing about 50 minutes worth of music, including an early version of the quartet arrangement of Atom Heart Mother, Green Is The Colour/Careful With That Axe Eugene, Grantchester Meadows, Cymbaline and Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun. And yes, it's a video, in case you couldn't tell.

The Fillmore West concert later that night was recorded from the soundboard, and sounds great. On this one, they open with Grantchester Meadows/Astronomy Domine, they do all the other songs that are on the KQED video, plus Saucerful Of Secrets, Interstellar Overdrive, and The Embryo.
    These are my favourites, really like the filmore west one with embryo, it is more "live" than the video.
    Also another great boot is "the man and the journey" from amsterdam concertgebou- also a radio broadcast which was recently re-broadcast and is available in perfect sbd quality.

Boots and shoes

Not all audience boots suck. I have a few that are very nice. Theres one from Radio City Music Hall in NY that's quite enjoyable from the early 70's. To make a blanket statement without a real exploration of whats out there is a short sighted view that can keep one from finding some real gems. Live Floyd was intense, beyond the studio material by far.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The other two things I would mention are the KQED video (which I still say buries the Pompeii film) and the Fillmore West show from April 1970. Both were recorded on the same day, but are two different recordings. .
    i have the PBS audio and the Fillmore show and a handful of other Floyd boots, mostly pre-Dark Side.

I love those two Paris Theatre BBC recordings, they have been around in several different guises over the decades, but a download is never too far away if anybody is interested to hear these.

I'm completely unfamiliar with these Extraction Tapes, please tell us more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I love those two Paris Theatre BBC recordings, they have been around in several different guises over the decades, but a download is never too far away if anybody is interested to hear these.

I love the Paris Theater recordings too. A lot of people just don't know what songs like Embryo, Green Is the Colour, etc. are like live.

I also like the one called Smoking Blues a lot.

Actually, I have a few pre-DSOTM boots and they're all of relatively giood nature and the music is rather good...

the only DSOTM boot (and post-DSOTM) is one of the DSOTM tour and I was quite taken aback of the stuuf on it... Sound quality was correct (given that it's a boot), but the music on it (all of DSOTM plus Echoes as an encore) sounded inc-credibly bluesy... almost a parody of DSOTM, really...

I heard it twice a few years ago (six or seven years) and never returned to it... still a WTF moment for me...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the only DSOTM boot (and post-DSOTM) is one of the DSOTM tour and I was quite taken aback of the stuff on it... Sound quality was correct (given that it's a boot), but the music on it (all of DSOTM plus Echoes as an encore) sounded inc-credibly bluesy... almost a parody of DSOTM, really...
    Well, to me the studio version of "Dark Side of the Moon" sounds like a parody of their former selves.

I love how they played this material live on their 1972 tours, where there was still room for improvisation. "Travel Sequence" is for me the last breath of the original Floyd - in studio they replaced it with "On the Run", which is a perfect summary of their new direction. Not that I totally reject what came next, but from my perspective the studio-polished arena-rock Floyd was an entirely different band.

Those curious should check either Rainbow Theater, Feb 20 or Hollywood Bowl, Sep 22, which circulate in a decent sound quality.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 09-30-2014 at 12:01 PM.

I happen to love a lot of the Floyd bootlegs I have - and I have a lot. Its not about sound being perfect - its about the sound of the instruments themselves for me - a tight snappy snare drum might make a recording awesome for me... or a Wetton overdriven bass - sometimes it a combination of ambience and instruments.

This one is a perfect combo of clean sound with most everything audible VVVV - but with ambience - with headphones or a loud stereo - it's like being in the club.

This isnt fantastic sound - but for this time and this show - it's a great performance. This 1970 period was awesome for experimentation and extra crazy Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

From my notes -- WOOPS. Saw JKL2000 already got this... but here they are without the link anyway

Pink Floyd
    From Abbey Road to Britannia Row - The Extraction Tapes
    Unissued Alternate Studio Recordings 1975 - 1976

01 Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-9)
    02 Welcome To The Machine
    03 Have A Cigar

04 Sheep (Raving and Drooling)
    05 Dogs
    06 Pigs (Three Different Ones)
    07 Sheep Sound Effects

--

I received these files from a collector friend in the last couple of days. It sounds to me like Animals has been taken from an improved copy of the source used for the earlier 'Extraction Tapes' vinyl release. Sources appear to have been speed corrected.

Unfortunately I don't have artwork, other than that I've found on the web and embedded into the FLACs.

Sound is way better than the vinyl transfers I've heard. All in all an amazing release.

Beechwoods, 2nd March 2014

I'm going to give the extraction tapes a try but what I'd really like is a soundboard off the Animals tour. I've got a few audience recordings from that tour but I'd love something with a little more clarity. The BBC Paris shows are phenomenal. That version of Fat Old Sun on the second show is superb.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Considering bands and governments make such a song and dance about bootlegging, it's strange that volume of stuff on Youtube grows year on year.
    Possibly my fave floyd boots are:

The Man / The Journey: Amsterdam 69 - The best unreleased album of all time (after SMiLE! obviously)
    In Celebration of the Comet (Remastered and Restored version): Rainbow, London 1972
    Hamilton, Canada: 1975 (Perhaps the most far-out, ferocious Raving and Drooling you'll ever here)

The extraction tapes are amazing. I'm hoping that this guy gets his hands on them and weaves his creative magic.

I've heard countless Floyd boots over the years, and there were not many that I would call "unlistenable", sound quality wise. I really don't recall most of them off hand, but I still have a CD of one that has the quartet Atom Heart Mother, Green is the Colour/Careful with that Axe Eugene, a 15 minute Fat Old Sun, Embryo, Set The Controls, 11 minute long Cymbaline, and something just called "Blues" (which is what it is, a slow blues instrumental number). I have the BBC material on my PC, used to have it on cassette but downloaded it from somewhere a few years ago. I still have a cassette that has a 1973 performance of Darkside on one side, and a show from the first leg of the Momentary Lapse tour on the other (featuring Echoes, in full..........sadly, it's an audience recording and there is chatter through the entire thing).

I did buy a boot once from a local record store that I ended up taking back because the sound was so terrible. They wouldn't let me return it so I had to sell it back to them for half what I paid for it (which I then turned around and used to buy Genesis Live, on a whim, since I'd never heard any pre-80's Genesis......what a revelation that was!!).

I recorded a bunch of them on cassettes from a guy who had dozens of them, back in the 90's, but I think the previously mentioned cassette is the only one I still have, which is a shame since there were quite extraordinary renditions of A Saucerful of Secrets and Echoes on a few of them. Also a complete Animals show from Oakland, CA, with pretty good sound quality.........it was the only time on that tour they played Careful With that Axe (as an encore) and the first time they had played it in 4 years (and the last time they ever played it, for that matter). Wish I still had that one, but a big chunk of that concert is on livearchive.com. Sadly missing most of the Animals album and the Careful with that Axe encore. Really wish I still had that one.

Finally, I still have a strange LP I bought in the late 80's, with a kind of Escher looking cover (not done by Escher) that has two LP's with one track on each side..........The Man/The Journey from 1969 (presumably the one referenced elsewhere on this thread), Corrosion/The Embryo from 1970 (not sure what Corrosion is, but it seems to be weird improv and stage antics leading into the familiar live version of Embryo), Allan's Psychedelic Breakfast from 1970, and Return Of The Son Of Nothing (early version of Echoes with different lyrics) from 1971. All tracks are at least 15 minutes, the longest being Echoes at about 23 minutes. The album is badly warped now, though I have a cassette copy that I'm afraid to play because it's so old. Anyone here know anything about this one? It had no information on it other than song titles and the year, not even the Pink Floyd name on it, and it is called "Lost In The Corridors". Even the LP's just had colored stickers with nothing printed on them at all. I only knew what it was because I recognized Allan's Psychedelic Breakfast and had heard of The Man/The Journey before. Anyway, the sound quality was not great as I recall, and there was often dead air with just sound effects and occasional laughter from the audience indicating something going on on stage.
    Last edited by infandous; 09-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.

I have a CD boot with "Alan" on it. I'll have to get back to you on the particulars.

The "stage antics" you're referring to is a recording of the band having fun with the audience courtesy of their quad sound system. It including footsteps meandering around the concert hall, spontaneous laughter, doors opening & closing, & then an explosion. It was played during "Cymbeline."
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I'm sure most everyone knows about the Oakland 77 boot, which is tremendous.... but are there any other Animals tour boots out there of equal quality and performance? I rarely hear about the others.... and the Radio City 73 show is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    I'm sure most everyone knows about the Oakland 77 boot, which is tremendous.... but are there any other Animals tour boots out there of equal quality and performance? I rarely hear about the others.... and the Radio City 73 show is amazing.
    The Montreal '77 recording, although not quite as sonically appealing as the Oakland show is my favorite from that tour. The second half of SOYCD is ferocious and a blues jam is played during the encore. Highly recommended.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm going to see The Pink Floyd Story this weekend and the're doing all of Animals. Anyone heard of 'em?

I'm going home and listening to Floyd bootlegs because of this thread. I have two shows that I attended: The Oakland Animals show (third row center seats!) and DSOTM tour from the LA Sports Arena. My partner was at the Hollywood Bowl show- I'm so jealous because I never got to see pre-Dark Side Floyd. I would have liked to see the Santa Monica Civic show but it was sold out when I went to Tickettron.

The hollywood bowl show is the one featured in the triple lp "crackers"?
    If thats the one, then indeed a killer setlist with excellent renditions.