Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest addition to the "Family"

Latest addition to the "Family"

Me and my new 11-string Hewett Harp-Guitar.

me&harpgtr.jpg

WTF

You'll have to explain that to us mere mortals...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    WTF

Agreed.

But that really looks cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    But that really looks cool.

...and expensive!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    WTF

Hewett harp-guitar...modeled off the Dyer model (Used by Michael Hedges)

The harp guitar has 5 sub-bass strings, normally tuned G, A, B, C, D. However, you can tune them to whatever notes are appropriate for the key you are playing in. With the large body size, the sound projection is enormous!

James Hewett builds approximately 1 harp guitar a year. Retail price is $6,500...I got my mint-condition gem from Ebay for SUBSTANTIALLY less.
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 10-08-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Obviously, the next step is to post a video of you playing it!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That is a gorgeous guitar. I have a friend out in California who is a harp guitarist. He goes to the big harp guitar festival every year in Connecticut and has made contributions to several harp guitar CDs put together by a guy out in California. He has a harp guitar custom built by Kathy Wingert, plus a couple of others, including a vintage German guitar. So I'm familiar with, and have had the pleasure to play, instruments like this.

A couple of things I particularly like about your guitar... First, I love the slotted headstock of the six string neck! That is such a great, vintage look. Second, the scrolled area that holds the pegs for the bass strings is absolutely stunning! I'm not certain I've ever seen a harp guitar like that, and it's really beautiful! In other respects, your guitar has an "elegant simplicity." It really does look like something that could have been built in the 1890s.

As best as I can tell, you did very well! Congratulations!

Bill

Bill,
    Well thank you for those comments. Yes the guitar does possess a "simplistic beauty" and is so surprisingly light, it also has an air of fragility to it too. I just wrote my first tune for the guitar and played it for a friend on Saturday. He was very impressed with the guitar's sound, especially how the bass strings ring out.

AWESOME!!

What is it?

And he's a Grand Funk fan ......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And he's a Grand Funk fan ......
    ...and proud of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    ...and proud of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (GFRR fan)

No reason not to be. I was a fan, up through E Pluribus Funk. They kind of lost me after that, as they seemed to abandon their original direction, wandering towards the pop world.

Back to the subject, I would like to try one of those harp-guitars one day. They seem like something that would jar me out of old habits, and provoke new and interesting directions. Sadly, at my current job, I won't be buying anything like that anytime soon...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

What a lovely harp guitar! Congrats!!

Harp guitars have a very long and storied history. There are books devoted to the subject. Many different designs have been tried over the decades. The sky is the limit. For something over the top, check out Linda Manzer's creations.

Most importantly, they can produce lovely music in the hands of the right person. Mr. Hedges was just such a person. What beautiful music he produced on his! And what a sad thing it was when he died so early.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    What a lovely harp guitar! Congrats!!

Most importantly, they can produce lovely music in the hands of the right person. Mr. Hedges was just such a person. What beautiful music he produced on his! And what a sad thing it was when he died so early.
    I was fortunate to see Michael Hedges perform on his harp guitar. He saw SOOoooo F-ing great!!! The music just flowed out of him like water.

Truly. Hedges was alien-like in his abilities.

So Supersonic, was Michael the only motivation for the harp guitar or did you watch/listen to other players of the harp guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Truly. Hedges was alien-like in his abilities.

So Supersonic, was Michael the only motivation for the harp guitar or did you watch/listen to other players of the harp guitar?
    Mostly him but I'm getting more into the early Renaissance music and the harp GTR should provide a great outlet for my original compositions in that style.

So, have you tried "I'm Your Captain" on it yet?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Mostly him but I'm getting more into the early Renaissance music and the harp GTR should provide a great outlet for my original compositions in that style.
    Very cool!

I'll grab all of my recorders and come on over! I'll bring the mead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    So, have you tried "I'm Your Captain" on it yet?

Ha....good one Mikhael !!! That made me laugh

I saw Iwan Hasan (Discus) playing his custom 21-string harp guitar live. That was a cool experience (that and the electric violinist yelling into the pickup of his instrument after his solo spot ).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A "luxury" treat with my recent inheritance money...2000 Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster...a dream guitar for me since the '80's when I first learned that these even existed...

ES-5.jpg

...maybe someday, I'll actually think about trying to play some respectable Jazz guitar...

A "luxury" treat with my recent inheritance money...2000 Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster...a dream guitar for me since the '80's when I first learned that these even existed...

ES-5.jpg

...maybe someday, I'll actually think about trying to play some respectable Jazz guitar...
    Sweet! Nice looking guitar! Screw the jazz licks, just learn all of Fragile.

Way cool, Supersonic! Congrats
    The only thing better than getting a dream instrument is being able to associate it with a loved one who is gone and thought enough of you to leave you the gift.
    Every time i play my Pearl drum set i think of my father.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I saw Iwan Hasan (Discus) playing his custom 21-string harp guitar live. That was a cool experience (that and the electric violinist yelling into the pickup of his instrument after his solo spot ).
    Harp guitars are amazing instruments!

That's a beautiful guitar!