Thread: New Phil Collins interview

New Phil Collins interview

I found this article pretty interesting and it certainly brings us up to date on some recent Phil/Genesis topics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/even...veals-all.html

Very interesting. I think Phil's more than earned his retirement. Seeing as he can no longer play drums or sing like he used to, I don't see much point in insisting on either a reunion with Genesis, or a return to touring as a solo artist. Let him be a full-time dad, and let us cherish the memories of the good old days.

It was an interesting article about his time in the 80's-90's, i loved that he apologized for his behavior! Genesis reunion etc. though this annoyed me:

He dismisses the idea that he remains afflicted by demons. The alcoholism was temporary, he says.

Riiiiiiiggggghhhhttttt...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/even...#ixzz3EifJhXe2
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

phil collins ruined nothing and nobody except himself it seems. a very sincere interview and atantalising read to boot.

Phil Collins ruined alcoholism. And the Alamo.

The Dailymail = National Enquirer.

Take any word they type as fictional, or quote taken completely out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    It was an interesting article about his time in the 80's-90's, i loved that he apologized for his behavior! Genesis reunion etc. though this annoyed me:

He dismisses the idea that he remains afflicted by demons. The alcoholism was temporary, he says.

Riiiiiiiggggghhhhttttt...
    Well, I suppose "alcoholism" comes in many flavors. He probably wasn't chemically addicted or have an addictive personality. I went through the same thing myself; went through a period of heavy heavy drinking brought on by boredom and loneliness, was 300 pounds and just decided to stop one day. I went to 2 AA meetings and it wasn't for me; I didn't feel like one of those people. That was 10 years ago, I drink socially on occasion; a glass of wine with the wife or whatever and it just isn't a big deal. I haven't been inebriated since that day I decided to quit. I do try and be conscious that it's a trap I could slide back into under certain circumstances but I don't consider myself an alcoholic by any stretch. That might not be the story for 95% of people but it can be the story for some people.

There was also one in the Daily Mirror, which actually says that he told the director of the BBC documentary that wanted all 5 of them in the same room at the same time, and when that subsequently happened, he felt that there was nothing to stop them writing together again and he would "never write anything off". The problem seems to be that Phil cannot play the drums any more, so he would be singing. And that means they'd have 2 lead singers, which is not going to work beyond a few songs. So, no Pete, which means no Steve, as the other 3 will only work as either the 3 piece or the full 5.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-might-4348317

[QUOTE=trurl;313875]Phil Collins ruined alcoholism. And the Alamo.

Lol-----wanted a one off classic line up of Lamb--but whatever---glad to see he is still with local Channel 2 news woman Dana Dyler---watch her every day. Interesting that he doesn't hook up with 21 year olds like most men his age.

[QUOTE=2steves;314277]
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Phil Collins ruined alcoholism. And the Alamo.

Lol-----wanted a one off classic line up of Lamb--but whatever---glad to see he is still with local Channel 2 news woman Dana Dyler---watch her every day. Interesting that he doesn't hook up with 21 year olds like most men his age.
    That's what he did with his last wife.

Good to see that Phil's bounced back. Do hope he considers a tour with the full lineup, perhaps something limited - like 20 dates total.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, I suppose "alcoholism" comes in many flavors. He probably wasn't chemically addicted or have an addictive personality. I went through the same thing myself; went through a period of heavy heavy drinking brought on by boredom and loneliness, was 300 pounds and just decided to stop one day. I went to 2 AA meetings and it wasn't for me; I didn't feel like one of those people. That was 10 years ago, I drink socially on occasion; a glass of wine with the wife or whatever and it just isn't a big deal. I haven't been inebriated since that day I decided to quit. I do try and be conscious that it's a trap I could slide back into under certain circumstances but I don't consider myself an alcoholic by any stretch. That might not be the story for 95% of people but it can be the story for some people.
    Interesting. For about a year, back in my late 20's, I smoked cigarettes and drank daily. I was working and hanging out with people who like to hit a bar just about every night. After my situation changed, new job / new locale, I just stopped. No withdrawal, no cravings, nothing. Just quit. I do still drink socially from time to time, but haven't had a cigarette for years. Some of my friends have been smoking since their teen years and have tried to quit multiple times, but failed, so I'm not suggesting anyone can just stop. I did have an uncle and aunt who smoked for 40+ years and quit cold turkey (for the simple reason that their insurance rates were going to go up if they didn't........they didn't even want to quit but just did it for cheaper insurance rates). They had no problems either, though both still drink, now in their early 80's.

Anyway, just agreeing with Fred that such things are certainly not unheard of and Phil could well be telling the truth (assuming the quotes are accurate from the rag that interviewed him).

As to the rest of the interview, I do not accept his apology for being so annoying in the 80's. His music was a constant source of irritation for me throughout the 80's and is probably responsible for my cynical and negative attitudes over the years (seriously though, it was pretty much impossible to escape his and Genesis' hits in America in the 80's)