Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Genesis BBC documentary causing 'controversy' in the British media.

New Genesis BBC documentary causing 'controversy' in the British media.

Seemingly the new documentary includes a recent interview with Jonathon King & the media are all over this.....no thought for his victims, incensitive, havn't the BBC learnt from the Jimmy Saville saga etc etc. Wouldn't be surprised if it's cut by the time it's aired due to certain lobbying groups???

Apparently it is only a brief interview where he talks about him naming the band as Genesis was his first venture into manageing artists!!!

I've not seen or heard anything. Googling genesis + king gives a grand total of four references.

Personally, I think they should have left him out. His importance in their history is way overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I've not seen or heard anything. Googling genesis + king gives a grand total of four references.

Personally, I think they should have left him out. His importance in their history is way overrated.
    ^^^mainly tabloids i.e. The Daily Mail etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ^^^mainly tabloids i.e. The Daily Mail etc
    Aye, well, they can f**k off, the hypocritical c**ts that they are.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/all-g...the-daily-mail
    Last edited by Halmyre; 09-27-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Edited for language

^Yes!

I agree that his importance is overrated, but I disagree that he should be left out, if the programme includes material about the making of the first album. He was integral at that point.

TV, Radio and Books are rife with stuff about Hitler, Stalin, Jack the Ripper and many other despicable characters from across recent and ancient history, but we are expected to airbrush Saville and King from our eyes and ears. I will not minimise what the latter two did, but I fail to see why the moral monitors want to bar them from our screens. King has always presented very badly (long before his conviction), so usually ends up worse-off once his ego and mouth get the better of him. I doubt his approval ratings will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    TV, Radio and Books are rife with stuff about Hitler, Stalin, Jack the Ripper and many other despicable characters from across recent and ancient history, but we are expected to airbrush Saville and King from our eyes and ears.
    Quite so.

Oh, they're all perverts anyhow, the whole lot of them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, they're all perverts anyhow, the whole lot of them.

I read the Wikipedia synopsis of King's conviction. I simply don't give a shit.

I don't get it - they interviewed King, but left Anthony Phillips out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I don't get it - they interviewed King, but left Anthony Phillips out?
    ^^^^Unbelievable

Well, Ant always wore a rubber.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I had never heard of Jimmy Saville before that whole ruckus. And did Jonathan King molest kids? I don't even remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I read the Wikipedia synopsis of King's conviction. I simply don't give a shit.
    How is this possible?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, King allegedly tried to groom as many as 20,000 boys for his purposes - how is THAT possible?

He get's quite a big interview in "Chapter and Verse" where the only mention of his conviction is his appeal against it. I think he's quite tight with the blokes in the band still.

^I don't think so. I've never got the impression that they have much contact with him- he had a brief association with an early line-up of the band, before they were famous. And Steve and Phil don't have any link with him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I had never heard of Jimmy Saville before that whole ruckus. And did Jonathan King molest kids? I don't even remember that.
    The Savile story dominated the news agenda over here when it emerged in 2012- funny to think that when Savile died in 2011 it was reported in 'national treasure' terms. The fall-out is ongoing.

Jonathan King was not linked to that, and hasn't been named in relation to the current investigations- his own conviction happened many years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ^^^^Unbelievable
    I get the impression Phillips isn't the type to do TV interviews.

I get the impression Phillips isn't the type to do TV interviews.
    My mistake - Phillips was interviewed for this documentary, just not along with rest of the guys.

This is a recent interview he did where he talks about it and being "bit of a sort of footnote in history, almost airbrushed out": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...beginning.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I knew who Jimmy Saville was because he was one of the Top Of The Pops presenters back in the day. Beyond that, I didn't know how significant he was.

In Rutherfords book, he said the guys in the band all thought King fancied Gabriel back in the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...ere-hated.html

Genesis interview: 'We were hated'

They're the rock pioneers who sold 130 million records. But they also spent
    years fighting snobby critics - and each other. Are Genesis finally getting
    along?

By Craig McLean7:00AM BST 30 Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Savile story dominated the news agenda over here when it emerged in 2012- funny to think that when Savile died in 2011 it was reported in 'national treasure' terms. The fall-out is ongoing.

Jonathan King was not linked to that, and hasn't been named in relation to the current investigations- his own conviction happened many years before.
    I tghink JKl meant that he'd never heard of Saville before the scandal... I know I didn't... He died an unknown to me...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.