Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prog Bands that had a great debut and a poor 2nd album

Prog Bands that had a great debut and a poor 2nd album

This is the opposite thread to the one asking for prog bands that had a poor debut and great 2nd album.

What prog bands had the "sophomore slump" - a great debut and poor 2nd album?

Fireballet - Night on Bald Mountain > Two Too (the cover of Two Too is a clue that something's gone horribly wrong)
    Peter Gabriel - PG1 > PG2 (don't like Fripp's production and the songs aren't as strong)
    Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte > Please Don't Touch (other than Vicarage I've never liked Please Don't Touch)
    Steve Howe - Beginnings > The Steve Howe Album (I know I know, but I actually like Steve Howe's voice)
    Shadowfax - Watercourse Way > Shadowfax (to be fair, a few years after the debut the band went Wyndham Hill label "New Age" so this is kinda apples and oranges)
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

PF
    ELP
    ELO
    Spirit
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Agree with the OP re Peter Gabriel's first 2 albums. Not sure if his debut was great but a very good effort. 2nd not so strong for me.

Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow - Song of Seven (though I do love the title track!)

Expect someone will nominate Mike Oldfield - but I think his debut is the weakest out of his opening 4 albums.

^^^Song of Seven is his best solo album IMO

Agree with PG
    Starcastle's 2nd album was poor though liked the first
    Though not prog, Phil Collins's second album was a massive improvement on the debut

Dedalus
    Nine Days Wonder
    Last edited by Modry Effekt; 09-25-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Astra. The Black Chord was a significant step down from The Weirding.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Astra. The Black Chord was a significant step down from The Weirding.
    I couldn't disagree more. I liked The Weirding well enough but The Black Chord was my top album of 2012. I found it harder, darker, and more streamlined... To each his own I guess..

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread was The Crucible. Tall Tales was, imo, a far superior release than Curtains.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

If I take "great" and "poor" at face value ("great" meaning an album I'd rate at least a 9/10; poor meaning something I'd rate at best, say, 3/10) I'm not sure much comes to mind.

First great, second mediocre - yes, there are some notables in that regard. Or, first is very good and the second is poor- I can think of a few of those offhand, too. But great to poor... I actually can't think of any at all, off the top of my head.

Maybe Journey. I much prefer their first album over their second.

Agree about Shadowfax but not about Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett.

Most would say Badger, but I like the second album (and Allen Toussaint's work in general). Sure was a left turn though.

Defo King Crimson

Poseidon is not a poor album by any stretch

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Canary View Post
    Poseidon is not a poor album by any stretch
    ...I know the point is (probably) moot, King Crimson really got going on Lizard, anyway.

Transatlantic

I suppose Mike Rutherford, and Journey

Can't really think of anyone else. I like the Sophomore albums from King Crimson, Fireballet, Hackett (tho prefer the debut in his case)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Transatlantic
    How different we all our - which makes this place interesting (usually)
    Bridge across Forever is my favourite album of theirs. It sounds, to my ears, as a far more cohesive record than the debut - though All of the Above has some great moments.

I like Poseidon MUCH better than In the Court of the Crimson King. Don't get me started on that rant. I also like Please Don't Touch about the same as Voyage of the Acolyte, maybe a *little* more. Nevertheless these are taste preferences, but I don't think anybody could make a quantitative argument that these second albums are "poor."

- Matt

Poseidon could be said to be an imitation of Court but I agree that that by itself doesn't make it poor.

I never heard Crucible's "curtains." I liked Tall Tales for the most part even though I felt it was somewhat over rated. If Curtains isn't as good then I think I'll stay away. I believe both are oop anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I never heard Crucible's "curtains." I liked Tall Tales for the most part even though I felt it was somewhat over rated. If Curtains isn't as good then I think I'll stay away. I believe both are oop anyway.
    A good contender for this thread. Tall Tales is a very strong debut and Curtains was a very disappointing followup, aside from a smashing cover of Crack The Sky's "Nuclear Apathy". I still would like to have seen what a third album would have been like.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Pink Floyd - end of list.

Nothing else qualifies IMO

Poseidon had a certain magic-with both this and Lizard, the cover was included in the magic, and the music matched the cover very well-there's a feeling there that is hard to convey in words. This might be there a bit on 'Court' too, but I think it is stronger on the next two. (Islands has its own mood too). Because of this I've never been convinced Poseidon is in any way inferior to Court.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte > Please Don't Touch (other than Vicarage I've never liked Please Don't Touch)
    I disagree with this. Sure Please Don't Touch doesn't reach the heights of Voyage but its nowhere near a slump. Its a fine collection of very different styles of songs, showcasing not only Hackett's guitar playing but his diverse interest in music.

^Maybe even a bit too diverse. To me it kind of sounds like he's spreading himself a bit thin on that one. Come on pick a style Steve. I do like the title track and "carry on up the vicarage" though. VOTA on the other hand is better than most Genesis albums. I do admit that PDT is not a weak album and I still wouldn't call it poor.

FM - Black Noise was awesome, Direct-To-Disk or Surveillance (depending or which you consider 2nd )not as much
    The Allan Parsons Project -Tales of Mystery and Imagination vs I Robot ( and pretty much most of what came afterwards )

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain