Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prog Bands that had a great debut and a poor 2nd album

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's not 'poor' (but neither are several others mentioned here) but I think 'Family Entertainment' is a weaker album than 'Music In A Doll's House'. In the 'plus' column, it does have perhaps the definitive Family track- 'The Weaver's Answer'- but some of the other songs like 'Second Generation Woman' are pedestrian. It wasn't fatal- 'A Song For Me' is an improvement.

Disagree on 'Please Don't Touch'. Not as unified as its predecessor so I too wasn't so keen on it at first...but these days I really enjoy the variety on there. Richie Havens is also the best singer Steve Hackett ever had IMHO.
    JJ, I agree with you 100%.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I too think 'Time And A Word' isn't as good as the debut, which is generally the opposite of popular opinion.

Non-prog: Kula Shaker

Disillusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    UK is the winner here for me
    ...and contrary to popular opinion, I have always liked Danger Money much better than their debut

it seems to me that they took the template of Court and improved upon it for Poseidon
    I'd probably agree, each having different strengths of course.

I agree that the debuts are the best from Hillage, UK, Mangala Vallis and Yugen (add Sally Oldfield in there too) but with all of them I don't think the 2nd albums are poor by any means, just somewhat inferior to the debut. And I'm not even sure about Yugen, both are so good. And 'Danger Money' has one great song for me, Rendevous 6:02. And I think Fish Rising was better because of Dave Stewart.

when People mention Hillage, I think of Khan as his first
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

In fairness, I think my dislike of transatlantics' second album is that I soured on at least 50% of the band, tainting my view of the album, and those that followed. I knew it would come as a surprise on here

Quote Originally Posted by progsynth View Post
    ...and contrary to popular opinion, I have always liked Danger Money much better than their debut
    I've always put them on equal footing, but it's two different bands really.

when People mention Hillage, I think of Khan as his first
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I think my dislike of transatlantics' second album is that I soured on at least 50% of the band, tainting my view of the album, and those that followed.
    Hmmm... that's somewhat vague. Care to elaborate?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

When I saw this thread title, I knew someone would mention KC. The irony is, I actually prefer Poseidon, so ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Pink Floyd - end of list.

Nothing else qualifies IMO
    As much as I've tried to like more than half of PF Piper At The Gates of Dawn, I just can't. While also flawed, give me A Saucerful of Secrets any day. I wouldn't say either are great or poor.

While I'm at it and it's definitely a minority position, but I like PG2 better than the debut.

Quatermass - Quatermass II
    Astra - Galactic Vibes
    Music in a Dolls House - Entertainment
    Load of Rings - Mag's Hat
    Chapter 3 - Vol 2
    Pampered Dog - Bell Ring

GTR's 2nd album is better than the first, in that it does not exist

I really like Peter Gabriel's second album, and was surprised to discover that it wasn't that highly regarded in general (back in the day, it was harder to discover the conventional wisdom on these things).

King Crimson is an interesting case. I think that Poseidon is a more mature record than Court, and if I had to pick one to listen to I might pick it just because it feels less like a museum piece, but it definitely does suffer from seeming like an attempt to duplicate the first. I guess the band itself was a bit of a mess at that point, too, if it even could be said to exist. I think on its own terms it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by dfan View Post
    I really like Peter Gabriel's second album, and was surprised to discover that it wasn't that highly regarded in general (back in the day, it was harder to discover the conventional wisdom on these things).
    I've never heard the first one, apart from the songs he's done live, but I rather like the second one. Some good songs on that record, particularly On The Air (I still wish he had done this one when I saw him live) and Home Sweet Home. And I love Fripp's guitar solo on White Shadow. I remember it took me awhile to get into it initially, because it somehow didn't quite sound like I expected. But I think it's a pretty good record. Likewise, I think the third one is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    GTR's 2nd album is better than the first, in that it does not exist

and the winner is...

Seventh Wave
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Astra - Galactic Vibes
    Music in a Dolls House - Entertainment
    Agreed,Galactic Vibes is not as great as Astra.It's their third album though.

Freedoms Children - Battle Hymn of the Broken Hearted Horde 1969
    Freedoms Children -Astra 1970
    Freedoms Children - Galactic Vibe 1971

"Entertainment" is my fave Family album.

and the winner is...

Seventh Wave
    It’s not the whole package, but I think that the last two songs on Psi-Fi are better than anything on the debut. Make of that what you will. The rest isn’t a total frisbee, but it’s definitely quite poppy.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

well then...

Bourne

and the winner is...

Seventh Wave
    Star Palace of the Sombre Warrior is by far the best song they did, and Psi-Fi as a whole is far better than Things to Come.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Star Palace of the Sombre Warrior is by far the best song they did.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    OSI.
    Bah! Free is easily their best album.