Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pink Floyd Album Cover Art- Thoughts?

Re: "Anisina" (name of a track on side 2)

While the word "Anisina" (name of a track on side 2) sounds like a person or place name or similar or whatever it is, "Anısına" (without the dots) actually has a meaning in Turkish FYI: "to the memory of" (aka "in memory of"). It's plausible that's what they were going for. On the album photos the track list isn't visible, so, to determine, I'll need to wait until later to see whether or not there are dots being printed in the song name on the actual album. In the computer realm like website text, not bothering to leave out dots is generally more convenient obviously (if you don't want to switch to another character set). If they meant Anısına (without dots) not Anisina, then on the print on the record itself they ought to not put dots. Hey PF management, are you listening?

dots

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    CD/Blu-ray preordered! I've got a good feeling about this album in 5.1.
    rtypically the type of album I will buy at a B&M record store, just to support them... Couldn't find elusive UZ and Fiori albums via them stores, but "mainstream stuff " like Floyd is almost mandatory record store buys, ILHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

We bitch and we fight
    But this thing that we do
    It's louder than words
    The sum of our parts
    The beat of our hearts
    It's louder than words
    I don't mind the cover but those lyrics are just awful. I remember Waters saying Gilmour wanted to call a compilation "Sum of the Parts" which Waters thought was tacky so he got it changed to "Echoes".
    Interesting to see that phrase re-used here.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Worst Floyd album cover EVER. It looks like some poster you would buy at a new age book store. It just needs some nauseating inspirational message. This could make for an interesting listen, but I think they are making one mistake in releasing this as a "new Pink Floyd album" and another mistake not getting Waters to contribute some small something.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I don't mind the cover but those lyrics are just awful. I remember Waters saying Gilmour wanted to call a compilation "Sum of the Parts" which Waters thought was tacky so he got it changed to "Echoes".
    Interesting to see that phrase re-used here.
    I've already slagged off the cover so I didn't want to be first to rip into the lyrics as well, but now you've broken the ice I think I'll join in. It's all a bit "moon june loon spoon".

Here's my take on the Turkish connection with the word "Anisina." I've read several interviews with Gilmour & Waters wherein Wright's keyboard playing style was christened "Rick's Turkish delight."
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Here's my take on the Turkish connection with the word "Anisina." I've read several interviews with Gilmour & Waters wherein Wright's keyboard playing style was christened "Rick's Turkish delight."
    Minor clarification (and hopefully I'm not smoking crack on this): It was a riff that Rick frequently used in the early days of the band, which they coined "Rick's Turkish Delight."
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't mind the cover, the four sides of suites does get me really interested.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't have much to say, apart that I very much appreciate Gilmour and Mason giving the band's history some closure. I'm sure whatever they put out will serve that function just fine.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Interesting to hear Charlie Rose of all people mention this upcoming release on the national CBS Morning news this AM

They showed the cover as well

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I would like this cover if it was a real photo of a dude in a boat hanging from a helicopter, with only the wires airbrushed out.

As stated above, i agree, the lyrics are lame. But since Waters left, they've almost ALL been lame, so its actually no surprise there. I'm just glad its only the one song. But lets face it, as much as Waters seems to be a huge fly in the PF ointment, honestly, who could replace him? Not for nothing, he wrote DSOTM when he was what, 28!? That's not quite carving the Pieta, but its awfully damned close! In addition, he didn't pay on the DB, they divorced long ago, so i have no issue he's not on the album.
    I'm looking forward to this, in SPITE of a shitty cover and one lame songs lyrics!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Worst Floyd album cover EVER.

I like this front cover very much. Looks really promising..

Worst Floyd album cover EVER.
    Yeah, that "what the fuck is that" cover of "Meddle," the "We couldn't be bothered" cover of "The Wall," and the "psychedelic vomit" cover of "Saucerful of Secrets" really put this to shame.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeah, that "what the fuck is that" cover of "Meddle," the "We couldn't be bothered" cover of "The Wall," and the "psychedelic vomit" cover of "Saucerful of Secrets" really put this to shame.
    This cover art isn't remotely close to being as good as those, IMO. It's that bland new-agey thing that I typically associate with 2nd-tier prog bands. It's not that the image is outright terrible, so much as general disappointment that a band with the stature of Floyd would do anything to associate themselves with that sort of thing.

Hey, it can happen to the best of them. The sub-par album covers for most of the latter-day albums by Genesis and Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson speak for themselves.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's better than the Obscured By Clouds cover.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I can't even say that.

It might be better than Atom Heart Mother, though.

Worst Floyd album cover EVER. It looks like some poster you would buy at a new age book store. It just needs some nauseating inspirational message. This could make for an interesting listen, but I think they are making one mistake in releasing this as a "new Pink Floyd album" and another mistake not getting Waters to contribute some small something.
    That is *so* 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I can't even say that.

It might be better than Atom Heart Mother, though.
    It trumps On An Island...which is probably the closest thing in terms of comparison, as DG likely had the strongest voice in how this was packaged.

IMHO Storm just nailed it with their covers...nothing any of them did away from his work ever quite compared (and I DO like the striking look of The Wall).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    I like this front cover very much. Looks really promising..
    I agree. What a tough crowd...geez

I think if you look at the message the cover may be trying to convey it might ease the disdain being thrown at it.

To me it may be representing a journey to the afterlife. Perhaps a tribute and a wave good-bye to Mr. Wright?
    Last edited by UnderAGlassMoon; 09-23-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Removed hatred, added disdain.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I would like this cover if it was a real photo of a dude in a boat hanging from a helicopter, with only the wires airbrushed out.
    And that is the exactly the way that Hipgnosis on their prime would have done it!

Meddle is great and so is Saucerful... Ummaguma is not, neither is Piper or Obscurred... Surely this new cover is no worse than AMLOR or TFC or The Wall

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    yup, though looking at it closely the back cover does better than the front one

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This cover art isn't remotely close to being as good as those, IMO. It's that bland new-agey thing that I typically associate with 2nd-tier prog bands. It's not that the image is outright terrible, so much as general disappointment that a band with the stature of Floyd would do anything to associate themselves with that sort of thing.
    it is a little cheesy, but the execution is more than OK

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It trumps On An Island...which is probably the closest thing in terms of comparison, as DG likely had the strongest voice in how this was packaged.

IMHO Storm just nailed it with their covers...nothing any of them did away from his work ever quite compared (and I DO like the striking look of The Wall).
    the design of OAI is ok (I kind of like these digibook formats), the album cover was on par with the music inside: boooring and soporific.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Meddle is great and so is Saucerful... Ummaguma is not, neither is Piper or Obscurred... Surely this new cover is no worse than AMLOR or TFC or The Wall
    What is wrong with The Wall? That is a brilliant cover. Simple and effective.

The Meddle cover is an ear, in case nobody ever noticed. Open it up and turn it sideways.

I do find it a bit humorous that we are all judging the cover without hearing the music. It likely is representative of the music. Or, at least it should be.

I also don't think it's quite fair to judge psychedelic covers 50 years after-the-fact. Context of the times is important.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"