Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pink Floyd Album Cover Art- Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I too am curious. With tracks that long they have to do more than noodle over a synth pad. Well, I hope so anyway....
    Tracklisting is much longer than just 4 titles...I'm guessing they are "suites" of music blended together. So it won't likely just be four 15-20 minute vamps.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It is work of 18-year old digital artist Ahmed Emad Eldin http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...k?CMP=soc_1945
    And looks exactly that.

This artwork could've been a Hypgonsis one... Too bad it isn't.

As for the music, I'm not really holding my breath in terms of adventurous (they were never that after waters was out), but I wish it will be more than refined jam sessions.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I did get reasonably positive feedback on the music from a friend who has heard the album, he is a music journalist and a friend of Martin Glover (Youth) who produced.

Seen this type of Art a zillion times

The Photoshop is really simple. Amateur hour. Blending of 2 stock images. The best Floyd covers are ones in which you get sucked into, and can gaze at for hours. This holds your attention for no longer than a glance. It's also too bright for Pink Floyd. Storm took a great amount of time, building, and orchestrating the shoots for his covers. This fails on all fronts. But wow... 18 years old and he gets a Floyd cover. That's amazing, if not the art itself.

I'm a bit out of the loop, but how can anyone take an album called "Pink Floyd" seriously. No Richard Wright, no Waters. It's Gilmour and friends (which indeed may be a fine record, but man Pink Floyd??? no).

They have their reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesola View Post
    I'm a bit out of the loop, but how can anyone take an album called "Pink Floyd" seriously. No Richard Wright, no Waters. It's Gilmour and friends (which indeed may be a fine record, but man Pink Floyd??? no).
    No Waters. Richard Wright will be all over this album - it's all about him.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nice cover art. I am cautiously optimistic regarding the material.

I like the cover. It's stripped down, it's iconic, it's not too artsy-fartsy.

Rather like the music, I'm expecting.

The LP is based on four different pieces each taking a side each.
    Hmm... a total of 18 tracks are listed across the 4 sides (3-7 tracks per side), but perhaps they flow together into side-long "pieces"? Anyway, anxious to hear this, too. Should be interesting.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver/deluxe_box

Info on the deluxe box and a snippet to hear^^^
    Holding out for the Immersion box.

I don't like it. It looks like one of those 'motivational' posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Hmm... a total of 18 tracks are listed across the 4 sides (3-7 tracks per side), but perhaps they flow together into side-long "pieces"? Anyway, anxious to hear this, too. Should be interesting.
    It looks like the structure of Rick Wright's Broken China.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    CD/Blu-ray preordered! I've got a good feeling about this album in 5.1.
    Chad

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Whatever you do, don't have your volume and subwoofer cranked up when you start playing the audio clip at work.

chalkpie
    This could be an advertisement for Dockers Khaki's if it had the little logo at the bottom of the picture.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 09-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    The side-long suites are broken out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End...#Track_listing
    Chad

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Agree it's reminiscent of the Dream Theater cover with the clown on the unicycle. Isn't this meant to harken back to the Momentary Lapse imagery, with the guy rowing on the river?

Looks great. Let's hope the music within is on par with it.
    The Prog Corner

nice enough cover

going for the deluxe edition seeing that this is the last music by Rick Wright

questions...
    wasnt this supposed to be based on Rick's work on The Big Spliff?
    that factoid about it being based around Rick's improvs from 1969?! is that a typo???
    is The Big Spliff mostly by another guy beside the 3 Pink Floyd members who recorded The Division Bell?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    wasnt this supposed to be based on Rick's work on The Big Spliff?
    that factoid about it being based around Rick's improvs from 1969?! is that a typo???
    is The Big Spliff mostly by another guy beside the 3 Pink Floyd members who recorded The Division Bell?
    It seems that the exact origins of this "new" PF album, and the exact nature of Wright's involvement are getting more and more hazy as the release date approaches. Not a good sign IMO… I'll still give it a listen and try to judge it on its own merit, if I can.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    For those who are interested--we have the Andy Jackson album released the week before on 3rd November. This is all song based. Rather excellent we think at Esoteric Towers.

Video to follow in next few weeks on one track. I would have uploaded our packshot but only have it in hi res at the moment which this site cant seem to handle if I try and upload.
    is it entitled The Big Spliff?
    does it contain contributions from Rick, David and Nick?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

this was on Amazon:

In 2014 David Gilmour and Nick Mason re-entered the studio and, starting with unreleased keyboard performances by Richard Wright, who sadly died in 2008, added further instrumentation to the tracks, as well as creating new material. The result is The Endless River, including 60% of recordings other than the 1993 sessions, but based upon them. The title is a further link, '... the endless river…' being part of the closing phrases of High Hopes, the final song of the previous Pink Floyd album.

David Gilmour describes the record as follows: "The Endless River has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 Division Bell sessions. We listened to over 20 hours of the three of us playing together and selected the music we wanted to work on for the new album. Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to make a 21st century Pink Floyd album. With Rick gone, and with him the chance of ever doing it again, it feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire."