Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Chamber Rock Appreciation Thread

Does "chamber-pot rock" count?

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I listen to Ligeti regularly on two box sets that I have. I'm also about to dive into the Schnittke and Bartok quartets on two CDs I recently ordered.
    I'm all in for the Legeti. I play that at work a ton.

I'm almost insulted miRthkon hasn't been mentioned yet. Not really, but to wit, here's a score of a ditty I wrote for the band. And this is nothing compared to the detail and effort Wally put in his scores. You know, like a chamber ensemble? In fact our tag line is "Oaklandish Chambercore."

http://lebofsky.com/Osedax1.0.pdf

- Matt

chalkpie
    The Universe will Provide - MK

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Universe will Provide - MK
    Isn't that a full orchestra? Anyway, a great album! And The Big Tiger from Parallel Universe is a great composition.
    Sort of a cousin to Four Slices Of Toast. And the guitar playing is bad ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I'm almost insulted miRthkon hasn't been mentioned yet. Not really, but to wit, here's a score of a ditty I wrote for the band. And this is nothing compared to the detail and effort Wally put in his scores. You know, like a chamber ensemble? In fact our tag line is "Oaklandish Chambercore."

http://lebofsky.com/Osedax1.0.pdf

- Matt
    Interesting, I never really thought of MiRthkon as chamber rock, but you might have a case for chamber metal!!

I'm so confused. I just learned a new word/about a new music genre. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Does "chamber-pot rock" count?
    Granted.
    Tommy Hall played electric jug on 13th Floor Elevators.That's their own genre and main reason for my divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I'm so confused. I just learned a new word/about a new music genre.
    The term "chamber rock" was in use already in the 80s, and the direction itself was - as stated - in development as early as the latter half of the 60s. In other words - no "new genre" at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I think it can work. And I've thought of some pieces I like since this thread was started. The first half of Henry Cow's Unrest, Dave Kerman's Abandonship and Frogg Cafe's Bateless Edge have some great pieces. I would include Gentle Giant's So Sincere, and Knots as well. And how about Queen Of All Ears by The Lounge Lizards?

I like it!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Iamthemorning yet. Definitely fall in this category. Their second album has just been released: http://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/

This is where I support local Ottawa talent with the much more chamber than rock trio Musk Ox ( not be confused with Muskox ).

Their latest release Woodfall is described as " A one-hour, five part progressive chamber folk epic for classical guitar, cello and violin "

http://muskoxofficial.bandcamp.com/album/woodfall

For those that are familiar w. Agalloch the guitarist is the guest segue acoustic player and they have opened for Agalloch.

A couple of releases of recent years that stand out for me.

Rational diet broke apart in two pieces: The Archestra and Five Storey ensemble. The album 'the archestra - Arches' is closest to the original RD sound. 'Five storey ensemble - Not that city' mooves more to classical chamber music. Both are excellent but out of the two I have a slight preference for Five Storey Ensemble. This is the one I revisit the most.

Another one (already mentioned) is Pikapika Teart ~ Moonberry. Great chamber rock with Russian folk influences from Siberia. Highly recommended!

I'm really interested in Julverne.

Some great bands here I'm discovering for the first time - Thanks guys

FAR CORNER... great Chamber Rock from Milwaukee!

I have heard of Far Corner over the last couple years - but didnt put in the effort to get them into my head - thank you for the kick in the ass! Now is the time.

This thread reminds me of a snippet and quote from a 1978 interview with Steve Morse talking about the Dixie Dregs.

With spectacular musicianship, the quintet wove hard rock, chicken-scratch country, freeform jazz, bluegrass, jigs, Baroque/classical, and other styles into a vocal-less musical tapestry that transcended classification. “We rarely think of labels,” explained bandleader Steve Morse, “but if we did, it would be something like ‘electronic chamber music.’”

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Thanks
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Lately, this is my favorite genre. It can be such a satisfying mix. My definition may be a bit wider than most.

Aranis- more chamber than rock - is a real favorite of mine, especially the earlier albums.
    Asturias - The Japanese acoustic version
    Salle Gaveau - mix with strong tango flavors
    Amorok - early records were more acoustic
    Rachel's - small group, mostly ambient.
    DAAU - a recent favorite, very chamber'y.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Salle Gaveau - mix with strong tango flavors
    Rachel's - small group, mostly ambient.
    Salle Gaveau are outstanding, I mean absolutely excellent. Kido Natsuki apparently went deep into the core theories of Piazzolla for those influences, and more than "being informed" by it, he ends up basically contributing to that oeuvre. They are one of the bands whose live appearance I'd like to experience the most.

I mentioned Rachel's earlier on, but I think they deserve another go. They emannate from a completely different scene than the RIO-type artists, of course - starting out as an ensemble rumoured to originally concentrate on film musics (and indeed, much of their material reflects that), but The Hand Writing LP should be heard by anyone into Aranis or even the less manic side of Rational Diet.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Two more -Noetra (french I think)

and Makajodama (Swedish)

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Two more -Noetra (french I think)
    Very much so (French) - and one of the finest chamber-rock units overall, although I guess they adhere more to a kinda chamber-fusion. Neuf Songes is a particularly priced asset in my French CD section; there are parts on that album where the music hits a high of almost impressionist beauty. Too bad there isn't more of that on YT!

Volapuk-- Slang is good.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    A couple of releases of recent years that stand out for me.

Rational diet broke apart in two pieces: The Archestra and Five Storey ensemble. The album 'the archestra - Arches' is closest to the original RD sound. 'Five storey ensemble - Not that city' mooves more to classical chamber music. Both are excellent but out of the two I have a slight preference for Five Storey Ensemble. This is the one I revisit the most.

Another one (already mentioned) is Pikapika Teart ~ Moonberry. Great chamber rock with Russian folk influences from Siberia. Highly recommended!
    Agree with all of this, Pikapika Teart is outstanding, was my album of the year when it was released.

Has anyone mentioned Finnegans Wake and Arteria yet?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.