Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The best Scottish artists/bands

Ramsey Mackay - Suburbs of Ur

THE SOUP DRAGONS!

Isn't Paul McCartney of Scottish origin?
    John McLaughlin?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Isn't Paul McCartney of Scottish origin?
    John McLaughlin?
    Born in Liverpool unsurprisingly, and born in Yorkshire, respectively.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Born in Liverpool unsurprisingly, and born in Yorkshire, respectively.
    So what? My former collegue from my former job was born in Albania, which explains nothing, except that she's pure Russian) Your cultural belongings is not always marked by place of birth.
    Surnames like McCartney, McLaughlin I suspect are of the Scottish origin. Or you think the surnames are like abstract painting?)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ok my surnames is Scottish but you have to go back many many generations to get to Scotland. If your question is "are their names Scottish?" then yes they are, if your question is "are they Scottish?" then no they are not, if your question is "do they have Scottish heritage?" then yes they probably do. By that logic Elvis is Scottish.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think Macca's more Irish than Scottish...

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Human Beast
    This was hidden in Modry Effekt's list, but guys if you haven't heard this album, it's exemplary (if you love heavy psychedelic guitar fronted music that is) and is definitely my favorite album from Scotland (and what an album cover!)

The Human Beast - Volume One (1970)

And one more to add to the pile and I didn't see this one... Chou Pahrot... it's obscure, but really great - like an updated High Tide (killer violin/guitar). No CD though for this one.

Chou Pahrot - Live (1979)

Oi! Has anyone mentioned Nazareth yet?! Close Enough For Rock N Roll is still one of my favorite hard rock records.

Ha ha, I must have seen Chou Pahrot about 20 or 30 times around '78 - '79. I never thought for a million years I'd see them mentioned here

Hopefully a lot of PE posters would dig Trio AAB.
    Also Ganger gives off a pretty good Can / Ui buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Ha ha, I must have seen Chou Pahrot about 20 or 30 times around '78 - '79. I never thought for a million years I'd see them mentioned here
    Nice! Bet those were great shows, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Never saw them, but they were one of the half-dozen or so bands that always seemed to get a mention on Radio Clyde's gig guide, along with Underhand Jones and Sneeky Pete, and usually at the Bungalow Bar in Paisley! I did see Pallas at the Dial Inn in Glasgow, and also at Tiffany's nightclub, supported by a little-known band called Marillion; wonder whatever happened to them?...

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    This was hidden in Modry Effekt's list, but guys if you haven't heard this album, it's exemplary (if you love heavy psychedelic guitar fronted music that is) and is definitely my favorite album from Scotland (and what an album cover!)

The Human Beast - Volume One (1970)
    Great album and cover art.I have reissue LP on Sunbeam records.

And one more to add to the pile and I didn't see this one... Chou Pahrot... it's obscure, but really great - like an updated High Tide (killer violin/guitar). No CD though for this one.

Chou Pahrot - Live (1979)
    Never heard of,have to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oi! Has anyone mentioned Nazareth yet?! Close Enough For Rock N Roll is still one of my favorite hard rock records.
    Yes! One of my first records.I recall this is your motto as well "Close Enough For Rock N Roll" ?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ok my surnames is Scottish but you have to go back many many generations to get to Scotland. If your question is "are their names Scottish?" then yes they are, if your question is "are they Scottish?" then no they are not, if your question is "do they have Scottish heritage?" then yes they probably do. By that logic Elvis is Scottish.
    And by the same logic I am German.

Great album and cover art.I have reissue LP on Sunbeam records.
    Yep - me too. Wanted to have that one available for display purposes. Though they did add their own touches, like put a black border around it, which wasn't necessary. But I do like they made it a gatefold (original is a single sleeve) and put the liner notes inside of that FOC. I also picked up the Japanese mini-LP (on Universal) about 7 years ago which replicates the original flap back cover. And it sounds really good too.

Yes! One of my first records.I recall this is your motto as well "Close Enough For Rock N Roll" ?
    Well, not necessarily my motto, but I do use that phrase a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    It begins and ends with The Bay City Rollers!
    +1

I would like to point out that Stuart Adamson, of Big Country, was one of rock's greatest songwriters, period, capable of great empathy and always melodic. Check out the Steeltown album. He's greatly missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRCi0fld8Y

Also, while Runrig went cheesy for a long time, their Proterra album from 10 years or so ago is wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKCKZ6Ly0PM

Yep - me too. Wanted to have that one available for display purposes. Though they did add their own touches, like put a black border around it, which wasn't necessary. But I do like they made it a gatefold (original is a single sleeve) and put the liner notes inside of that FOC. I also picked up the Japanese mini-LP (on Universal) about 7 years ago which replicates the original flap back cover. And it sounds really good too.
    I haven't seen the original,so didn't know these details.I agree,black border wouldn't be necessary.

http://unencumberedmusicreviews.blog.../Human%20Beast

Another reissue with frame is Agitation Free - Malesch ( Made in Germany,2012 )
    It don't look quite right.

Malesch_CD_front_600x540.jpg