Thread: Prog the Band

Prog the Band

Anyone ever hear of these guys from Madison? They came up on my Facebook the other day. They will be playing at Reggie's in Chicago next Thursday Sept 25 and are playing Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound. Curious!

Progeezer and myself are on a first name basis with them, as they play here 3-4 times a year. For my money, they're the most talented Madison band (followed closely by Steely Dane, a Dan tribute act), and nice guys. They cover four bands: 70s and early 80s Yes, Genesis, Rush, & Tull. Hope you dig 'em, should you make it out.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Highly recommended by the ghost's paternal parental unit.

Worth seeing for their amazing (imo) drummer Steve, who sings lead and drums, which for this material is quite difficult. His Jon A is quite good.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    At least we won't have any arguments about whether or not THEY are prog.

How long til Phil Collins ruins them though?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    How long til Phil Collins ruins them though?
    I'm more concerned about Mel Collins and Tom Collins ruining them.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    At least we won't have any arguments about whether or not THEY are prog.

That's probably why they came up with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm more concerned about Mel Collins and Tom Collins ruining them.
    Not Joan?

Barnabas?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not Joan?

Barnabas?
    Mmm, maybe the band should put some garlic out onstage next time they perform.

I'd be more worried about Linda Evans (she was the one who was married to Yanni, wasn't she?) than Joanie. Jackie Collins on the other hand...

I started a separate thread on their Chicago show a couple days ago. Lots of things going on this week- Pain of Salvation, Allan Holdsworth, PROG and King Crimson! If you want to be really crazy you can buy a ticket to Holdsworth at Reggie's and get in the other side for free for PROG. If you want to be REALLY, really crazy you can do a round robin and sneak up north to the Vic for King Crimson as well! LOL

Just to be clear- Holdworth is playing Wednesday and Thursday, PROG on Thursday, and KC on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

A bad prog weeks for those of us who celebrate the Jewish holiday, all those shows are on Rosh Hashanah and Flying Colors on Yom Kippur. Bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    A bad prog weeks for those of us who celebrate the Jewish holiday, all those shows are on Rosh Hashanah and Flying Colors on Yom Kippur. Bummer!
    Unless of course you're a reformed Jew. The late comedian Dennis Wolfberg had a great piece about, explaining how he could make TV appearances on Rosh Hashanah because he's a Reformed Jew..."There's three types of Jews: Orthodox, Conservative, and Reformed. I am a Reformed Jew. Orthodox and Conservative Jews don't consider us to be Jewish, they call us Jew-Lite". I told this joke to a Jewish friend, who said that his grandmother, who was Reformed, liked to call Orthodox Jews "Super Jews", or something like that.

My apologies to anyone who thinks I shouldn't be telling these jokes.

Unless of course you're a reformed Jew. The late comedian Dennis Wolfberg had a great piece about, explaining how he could make TV appearances on Rosh Hashanah because he's a Reformed Jew..."There's three types of Jews: Orthodox, Conservative, and Reformed. I am a Reformed Jew. Orthodox and Conservative Jews don't consider us to be Jewish, they call us Jew-Lite". I told this joke to a Jewish friend, who said that his grandmother, who was Reformed, liked to call Orthodox Jews "Super Jews", or something like that.

My apologies to anyone who thinks I shouldn't be telling these jokes.

No apologies necessary, I am reformed as well, more so I have family in from out of town. And may go see Flying Colors still, but come on Portnoy should know better. Anyways being in Chicago never a shortage of good music.

Orthodox and Conservative Jews don't consider us to be Jewish, they call us Jew-Lite". I told this joke to a Jewish friend, who said that his grandmother, who was Reformed, liked to call Orthodox Jews "Super Jews", or something like that.
    That's exactly what my mother (r.i.p.), a reformed Jew, called Orthodox Jews.