Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahavishnu Orchestra - new release (Whiskey A-Go-Go, 27 March 1972)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - new release (Whiskey A-Go-Go, 27 March 1972)

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=26086

"Aside from a mammoth repertoire of work alongside British rock luminaries such as Duffy Power, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Graham Bond and Pete Brown, John McLaughlin's own career marked a pinnacle in progressive, jazz-rock fusion. The Mahavishnu Orchestra's seminal appearance at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go on March 27th 1972 has become a highpoint of their achievements. In an attempt to honor this landmark performance [sic], various bootlegs of varying quality have appeared over the years. Klondike's retrospective issue of this legendary concert salutes the stature of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's work with the original, complete and fully-remastered FM broadcast. Includes background liner notes".
    Including :
    Meeting of the Spirits
    Miles Beyond
    The Dance of Maya
    A Lotus on Irish Streams
    The Noonward Race

And I recommend Colin Harper's excellent book Bathed in Lightning. John McLaughlin, the 60s and the Emerald Beyond.
    http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=25991
    Also available in digital format, with extra chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    this legendary concert salutes the stature of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's work with the original, complete and fully-remastered FM broadcast.
    hopefully, this will ensure excellent sound.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Is this a "Holy Grail" Live recording?????

Thanks for the notice!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Sony supposedly has a release-ready version of the professionally recorded 1972 Cleveland show in its vaults that was mixed by Gregg Bendian but was shelved for reasons unknown. That, to me, is the "holy grail," rather than a radio recording like this, which is essentially an "official bootleg."

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=26086

"Aside from a mammoth repertoire of work alongside British rock luminaries such as Duffy Power, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Graham Bond and Pete Brown, John McLaughlin's own career marked a pinnacle in progressive, jazz-rock fusion. The Mahavishnu Orchestra's seminal appearance at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go on March 27th 1972 has become a highpoint of their achievements. In an attempt to honor this landmark performance [sic], various bootlegs of varying quality have appeared over the years. Klondike's retrospective issue of this legendary concert salutes the stature of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's work with the original, complete and fully-remastered FM broadcast. Includes background liner notes".
    Including :
    Meeting of the Spirits
    Miles Beyond
    The Dance of Maya
    A Lotus on Irish Streams
    The Noonward Race

And I recommend Colin Harper's excellent book Bathed in Lightning. John McLaughlin, the 60s and the Emerald Beyond.
    http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...roductid=25991
    Also available in digital format, with extra chapters.
    This is rather exciting. Terrible cover art thou.

Amazing how a label you never heard of was able to license this from SONY and the individual musicians in the group....

not.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Amazing how a label you never heard of was able to license this from SONY and the individual musicians in the group....

not.
    Mmm that this may rhyme with rootleg?

not.
    I've heard of it. They've released a few John McLaughlin solo albums... Amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I've heard of it. They've released a few John McLaughlin solo albums... Amongst others.
    You are confusing the seller with the label. The label is Klondike.

"...In an attempt to honor this landmark performance [sic], various bootlegs of varying quality have appeared over the years. Klondike's retrospective issue ..."
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

You are confusing the seller with the label. The label is Klondike.

"...In an attempt to honor this landmark performance [sic], various bootlegs of varying quality have appeared over the years. Klondike's retrospective issue ..."
    So I am. Never heard of them!

I became familiar with Abstractlogix originally because McLaughlin and his 4th Dimension work is on the label. The label has also set up tours. After years of never coming into NC, I was wondering why McLaughlin was playing Raleigh/Durham every couple of years, and I discovered the reason was because the label is based out of Cary, which is just 10 minutes down the road from Raleigh. I've met the owner and he's very good friends with McLaughlin. I don't know about the legalities with other musicians in the band, but I could see it being very possible for Abstractlogix to get approval from McLaughlin at least. I believe Abstractlogix has also worked with Jan Hammer. Some of the other artists released on the label include Alex Machacek, Wayne Krantz, Gary Husband and Jimmy Herring.
    Last edited by Miciah; 09-13-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Looks like Klondike also has some live Santana, Tom Waits and Stephen Stills:

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Labels...E.RECORDS.html

Oh... Your comment about Klondike was posted while I was writing my response. In light of that, point taken. I thought this was an Abstractlogix release.

I'm just puzzled as to why Abstract Logix is pushing it. Since it appears in their promo mailings, I had assumed it was a legit issue until I saw Steve's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm just puzzled as to why Abstract Logix is pushing it. Since it appears in their promo mailings, I had assumed it was a legit issue
    Yes. In such cases, the vendor has a responsability, based on professional expertise and personal ethics. It is not just down to the potential customer to decide whether they should ou shouldn't buy (what appears to be) a bootleg or 'grey area' release. There is more to the operations of conscience than a "me buy !" / "me no buy !" reflex, even in our grubby market society.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-13-2014 at 01:21 PM.

I've noticed a lot of these type of radio-broadcast releases around over the past few years, yeah. Never been tempted by any of them.

Thanks for the head's up Steve!

I'll pass
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So I guess the question is(to paraphrase a tv commercial)"what would you do for a klondike bootleg?"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Sony supposedly has a release-ready version of the professionally recorded 1972 Cleveland show in its vaults that was mixed by Gregg Bendian but was shelved for reasons unknown. That, to me, is the "holy grail," rather than a radio recording like this, which is essentially an "official bootleg."
    Very much out of the vaults on various ROIO sites. I've had this for a few years. Sound is fantastic.

From Big O: The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Cleveland 1972: Emperor Nobody Remaster FIXED [no label 2CD dime 218266 + 218629 fixed] live at Music Hall, Cleveland, OH, Apr 21, 1972. CD1 is the original remaster. CD2 is the remaster with pitch and speed fixed by Prof Goody. Lineup: John McLaughlin - guitar; Jan Hammer - keyboards; Jerry Goodman - violin; Rick Laird - bass; Billy Cobham - drums. "According to John McLaughlin, Columbia refused a live release of this show. McLaughlin feels this show in Cleveland is one of the best that The Mahavishnu Orchestra has ever done. As irony would have it, Columbia asked their engineer and Gregg Bendian to assist with the release of this live CD. A mix was made and sent for approval to John McLaughlin. No word from Columbia since." Ex SBD stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    CD2 is the remaster with pitch and speed fixed by Prof Goody.
    Prof Goody?

I was just reading some of the background about this recording here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=209omething Seems Emperor Nobody was involved in this as well. how absurd. Interesting background on this release though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Thanks for the head's up Steve!

I'll pass
    Yeah, I'll be passing too. Bummer.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Prof Goody?

I was just reading some of the background about this recording here: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=209omething Seems Emperor Nobody was involved in this as well. how absurd. Interesting background on this release though.
    Yeah, I only have a couple of recordings in which Emperor Nobody was involved, but Prof Goody is a well known figure in trading circles for his pitch correction, etc. Do a search for Prof Goody on Dimeadozen and you'll find quite a few recordings pop up.

There have been several of these radio broadcast sourced releases in recent weeks/months, and none that I've heard are from the pre-FM tapes, so they will be no better than the best you'd find at Dime. There must either be a loophole that allows these broadcasts to be sold via official outlets, or it's a scam yet to be stamped out.

Caveat emptor.