Thread: Roku 3

Roku 3

We've been using Roku 1 for a month or two and decided to go with 3 (ordered it last night) and had our cable tv downgraded to basic. that cut the bill in half. I've been watching tons of stuff on YT . Looking fwd to the new one working a little faster and subscribing to Hulu Plus. I researched chromecast & Amazon Fire TV. Roku 3 appears the best choice for us. anybody else here use this?
    Last edited by davis; 09-13-2014 at 12:30 AM.

No - but I'm looking forward to your review.

I'm still paying $200/mth for cable (includes a very fast Interweb connection) and $10/mth for Netflix.
    Regards,

Duncan

We've been using the Roku 3 for several days. how well it works depends a lot on how strong the wifi signal is. For the most part, it's working great. I've watched a documentary on Hulu Plus, several serial killer docs on YT & some SF Giants games on MLB. My wife watched TYATR on her laptop because the picture is too blurry on YT. I've ordered an indoor digital antenna to see if we can pick up any channels besides local stations. Might need to get a wifi signal booster at some point. We're sticking with the Roku 3. that is, I recommend it I mean, you can access a ton of channels with it. some you have to pay for, some are free. I assume there are a lot of games too, but video games bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    We've been using the Roku 3 for several days. how well it works depends a lot on how strong the wifi signal is. For the most part, it's working great. I've watched a documentary on Hulu Plus, several serial killer docs on YT & some SF Giants games on MLB. My wife watched TYATR on her laptop because the picture is too blurry on YT. I've ordered an indoor digital antenna to see if we can pick up any channels besides local stations. Might need to get a wifi signal booster at some point. We're sticking with the Roku 3. that is, I recommend it I mean, you can access a ton of channels with it. some you have to pay for, some are free. I assume there are a lot of games too, but video games bore me.
    I use the Roku as well and because it has a TWC channel (if you have a subscription) we only need one cable box and replaced the kids TV and the one in our bedroom with ROKU units. The only problem with that is the TWC channel doesn't get the local stations just the cable but it does get premium stations if you have them. I have my 3 hooked by wire instead of the wireless and while there is some occasional streaming delays it isn't as bad as wireless. You Can access Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hula, Spotify and hundreds more. Nice little unit.

Regards,

Duncan

Yesterday I hooked up this antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. we get 30+ channels with it, including all local channels. the thing we miss the most about downgrading cable from premium to basic is that I had to trade in the box w/dvr for a box w/o it. So we may get a Tivo or some stand-alone dvr unit. I've researched Direct TV and I don't like that you have to commit to a TV channel package before they'll give you details on their internet service. And so we continue creeping into the 21st century of tv-viewing technology.