Thread: RIP Richard Keil

RIP Richard Keil

Didn't see any posts on this yet. RIP Richard... (Kiel, sorry)

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-twilight...74-1410414399/

Richard Kiel, Twilight Zone star dead at 74

Richard Kiel, the towering 7'2" actor who played the Kanamit in the 1962 Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man," passed away on 9/10/14. The hospital did not release the cause of death, citing confidentiality concerns.

Kiel was born in 1939 in Detroit and worked in a variety of jobs. He eventually made his way into TV and his big screen premiere came with the movie Eegah in 1962. The film, beloved of MST3K fans, features Kiel as the title character, a caveman brought out of suspended animation to stalk and seduce a modern-day girl.

That same year, Kiel had a voice-dubbed role as an alien Kanamit in "To Serve Man", one of the most parodied and referenced episodes of The Twilight Zone ("It's a cookbook!"). He went on to use his stature portraying thugs in Honey West, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and I Spy. Kiel played Dr. Miguelito Loveless' henchman Voltaire in three first-season episodes of The Wild Wild West, had a minor starring role in Barbary Coast opposite William Shatner in 1975-76, and played two monsters--a diablero and a peremalfait--in Kolchak: The Night Stalker in 1974.

Kiel continued in movies during the same period, playing much the same roles. He reached the pinnacle of his fame in 1977 when he was cast as Jaws, a metal-toothed assassin going up against James Bond in The Spy Who Loved Me. The character proved popular enough to be brought back two years later in Moonraker with the character being redeemed as a hero. Kiel later parodied his famous role in Inspector Gadget in 1999, playing "Famous Big Guy With Silver Teeth."

The actor appeared sporadically in movies after that, including the acclaimed The Giant of Thunder Mountain. A truck accident made it difficult for him to walk, but he continued to make the rounds of conventions and did the voice of Vlad in Tangled in 2010.

Kiel broke his leg a few days before his death, but the doctors have offered no word on if his injury related to his death.

Mr. Kiel will be missed
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I remember him in a Clint Eastwood movie where Clint hit him in the balls with a sledge hammer handle.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Yeah, that would be what you remember him for, Ed!!!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Eegah or Jaws. those are tough choices for my favorite Kiel roles. I suppose now I'll go on a RK film binge.

I heard the news.Radio main news.RIP

The alien in the original Twilight Zone "To Serve man"......it's a cookbook!
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

For some reason I thought he had died many years ago. He was great in those Bond movies.

RIP Jaws.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Richard. Your appearances on the screen brought us joy.

BTW, Shadow, the Eastwood movie was Pale Rider.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I remember him in a Clint Eastwood movie where Clint hit him in the balls with a sledge hammer handle.
    That's how he would want to be remembered.

RIP, gentle giant.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For some reason I thought he had died many years ago. He was great in those Bond movies.
    You may have confused him with Lurch from The Addams Family. They looked very much alike. He died many years ago.