Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw The Eagles Monday Night

The documentary is great and really well done. They give both Meisner and Felder interview time to tell their sides of the stories.

No Disco Stangler? Saw the first reunion tour in 94. First show priced over $100 a ticket and IMO started the whole obnoxious ticket pricing thing. I have also seen Joe Walsh about 5 times dating back to the early 80s and always appreciate his humor and talent. I have watched the 3 hr Showtime documentary a couple of times. The one thing that is clearly apparent is that Glenn Frey is a dick!
    Last edited by Jay G; 09-18-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Concert is tonight. Wang theater in Boston. Wish me luck.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    No Disco Stangler? Saw the first reunion tour in 94. First show priced over $100 a ticket and IMO started the whole obnoxious tinker pricing thing. I have also seen Joe Walsh about 5 times dating back to the early 80s and always appreciate his humor and talent. I have watched the 3 hr Showtime documentary a couple of times. The one thing that is clearly apparent is that Glenn Frey is a dick!
    No, no Disco which is actually one of the best songs on "The Long Run" imo. Yea, The Eagles were one of the first "classic" acts to really take advantage of the nostalgia factor and boom ticket prices into the stratosphere. The ticket prices for this most recent tour were much more reasonable IMO. Regarding Walsh, I have only seen him solo once back in his heavy partying days and I can't say that it was a great show. In fact it may be one of the worst shows I have ever attended. It is nice to see him back at the top of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I predict you will like it. The Eagles get a lot of flac, but they really are great at what they do. They don't innovate a lot on stage, but they have always been one of the few bands that could pull off their live sound as good (if not better) than their studio sound.

Either way, I will be curious to hear what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Saw the first reunion tour in 94. First show priced over $100 a ticket and IMO started the whole obnoxious tinker pricing thing
    My recollection was that Barbra Streisand came first. She charged something like 200 bucks for her tour around that same time, saying something like "I'm worth 10 bucks for each year I haven't toured" or something similarly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    My recollection was that Barbra Streisand came first. She charged something like 200 bucks for her tour around that same time, saying something like "I'm worth 10 bucks for each year I haven't toured" or something similarly stupid.
    Well, you're worth whatever the market will bear. If she sold out, or sold-well that tour, then that's what she was worth.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, you're worth whatever the market will bear. If she sold out, or sold-well that tour, then that's what she was worth.
    WEll, you're worth that to those who can afford to pay the price. For those of us who can't, well...I guess we're not devoted enough or something, eh? (shrug)

WEll, you're worth that to those who can afford to pay the price. For those of us who can't, well...I guess we're not devoted enough or something, eh? (shrug)
    If you can't afford it, then it's not worth it to you.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If you can't afford it, then it's not worth it to you.
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?! How the hell does not being able to afford something translate it to not being worth it to the person?! That sounds like politician talk! You're not a senator or congressman, are you?!

What the hell is that supposed to mean?!
    It means exactly what it says, Chris. Don't make this more difficult than it has to be.

If your full-time job is cashiering at a WalMart, you're going to make about $20K/year. It's not "worth it" for you to buy a Mercedes S-Class - that would be more than 4 years' salary. But Mercedes has a large enough appeal and clientele that they can get $85K for their car, so that's its market worth. Arguably, that is the worth of the car. But it's not worth that to you, because you can't afford it. You're not willing to sacrifice four-plus years' of salary to drive that car.

Are you willing to sacrifice $120 to see the Eagles? Then it's worth it to you. Did Streisand sell-out her $200/ticket tour? Then it had worth at $200/ticket. If she wasn't selling out at that price, then it was over-priced.

Economics 101, my man.

Here's my report of last night's concert. I am not an Eagles fan. That's not say that I don't like them; just not a fan.

First, rounding the corner to the theater I see the marquee of the theater across the street advertising KING CRIMSON that same night. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Second, starting a bit late, Henley comes out in a tux to talk about Walden Woods project. Awards for environmental consciousness/activism are handed out. Robert Redford, the actor, is the main recipient. Short speech about nothing, really, except how he feels about the planet & why we should feel the same way. He walks off without his award & then the concert starts about 1 hour late.

Sorry. Don't know the songs enough to be able to tell you what was played. Their original guitarist was present for many of the songs; 11 musicians on stage for most of the evening. There was one guy, stage left, who sat at a piano, played some sort of small, hand-held percussive instrument & sang. Did they really need him? Without him my ticket price may have been... $3 dollars less...

Joe Walsh was great & entertaining. Not sure what the tissue trick was all about. his solo songs got a great response from the audience. When he launched into "Funk 49" I cheered! I had to tell my wife I was a James Gang fan in high school.

We sat next to about 6 people who were poster children of why "stupid & alcohol" are a bad mix. Loud, foul-mouthed, obnoxious. We all, sadly, know these people. When Robert Redford came out on stage the guy closest to me (I christened him "Woo hoo guy") kept shouting, through his speech, "RICHARD! RICHARD! YOU'RE FUCKIN' AWESOME!" The same Shakespeare, when Don Henley was signing one of his songs, stood up to yell, again throughout the song, "JOHN HENLEY! JOHN HENLEY!" For the briefest of moments I thought of informing this member (egad!) of the species that "I think Don Henley knows his name, & it's not "John"". There were 2 women in this group &, suffice it to say, we were all subjected to them standing up, arms in the air (with the obligatory tall boy beer in hand), singing waaaaaaay off key, & gyrating muffin tops & ample hips whenever the spirit moved them, which was waaaaaaaay too much. They were the first to bolt at the end of the show. When the lights came on we counted at least 20 empty beer cans. Anyone ever hear of picking up after themselves? It saddens me to think these people are capable of procreating more people just like themselves. Is there any hope for the human race?

The theater management approached them twice to tell them to tone it down or they would be asked to leave. Well, Christmas is a lie because we got neither gift. The bozos continued their ways & management was an empty glove.

Heading back to the car two guys are walking in front of us wearing King Crimson t-shirts. One of the guys is carrying drum sticks. I approach them to ask about their concert experience. They flew up from Uruguay to Boston for this concert! They bought into the VIP deal & got to mingle with the band. Pat M gave one of the guys autographed drum sticks. His friend was going to take a picture of his buddy & Pat with the drumsticks but his smartphone died on the spot. Pat then took out his own 'phone, snapped a picture, & then emailed it to the kid. Now I'm starting to believe in Christmas again.

BTW: the music at the Eagles concert was pretty good. Acoustics were great. Nice balance of instruments; no one was overpowering. Just can't figure out why that guy at stage left was needed.
    Last edited by Casey; 09-17-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Pat M gave one of the guys autographed drum sticks. His friend was going to take a picture of his buddy & Pat with the drumsticks but his smartphone died on the spot. Pat then took out his own 'phone, snapped a picture, & then emailed it to the kid.
    Wow. That's really impressive.

As the radio ads for the venue used to say, "You can't beat the Wang for entertainment!"

Mike

BTW: the music at the Eagles concert was pretty good. Acoustics were great. Nice balance of instruments; no one was overpowering. Just can't figure out why that guy at stage left was needed.
    Now that you mention it the musician on the left did not really do a whole lot during the concert I saw either. I think Frey may have even come over and played his keys at one point if I am remembering correctly.

Too bad about the obnoxious drunks around you. We did not have a similar experience; in fact I would say the crowd in Grand Rapids was rather sedate for an arena rock n roll show.

Crimson across the street………….yea that would have been tough to take.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Crimson across the street………….yea that would have been tough to take.
    I don't see the problem. Granted, Crimson might have been loud, but the acoustics of those places are generally such that you really only get to hear the band you are attending. You would have been able to enjoy The Eagles without being bothered much by annoying snatches of king Crimson noise from over the road.

It wasn't that I could hear KC, it's that they were appearing across the street & I was attending another concert when I would have much preferred being at the KC show. It's angst of seeing what you want just out of your reach. Possibly never to be that close again.

It wasn't that I could hear KC, it's that they were appearing across the street & I was attending another concert when I would have much preferred being at the KC show. It's angst of seeing what you want just out of your reach. Possibly never to be that close again.
    Yes, that is what I meant with my comment as well. Although I like the Eagles, given a choice between them and Crimson in the same town, Crimson would be the pick for me.

Suspended
    I think people missed the irony in my comment about King Crimson.

Sorry. I'm not a metallurgist...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    After re-reading I get it. Did not come across the first time.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Having said that, given the choice of an Eagle concert or a KC concert, other things being equal, I think I'd plump for The Eagles - though I'd probably be in the toilet while they were playing Hotel friggin' California.