Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: U2's surprise new album available on iTunes for free

U2's surprise new album available on iTunes for free

I live in an ephemeral eternity

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Downloaded to my phone and giving it a first spin. Only four songs in, but I'm really enjoying.

iTunes says it's already downloaded to my library, but it's not there.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 09-09-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    iTunes says it's already downloaded to my library, but it's not
    Go to view and select "show music in the cloud" then you should be able to scroll down and click to download it.

From what I'm hearing, this album is automatically installed on pretty much all Apple devices and it's pissing people off, mostly those who seem to hate U2. As I don't own anything from Apple I cannot confirm this. It also seems it's not easy to get rid of the offensive U2 album but that could just be stupid people who don't know how to delete, I truly don't know.

Reason #876,987,132 to not have a smartphone or other portable device. Anyone here have any problems?

ETA: Snap, I should have read further, it's only in the cloud. Still kinda funny how it's U2 and got everyone pissed off. Heck, I don't really like U2 that much but I was thinking of getting the album just for the hell of it. Then I thought about it and I doubt I'll listen more than once, so why should I get it?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There was something on NPR this morning about how lots of people are annoyed at the U2 virus being auto-installed on their listening device, and how it backfired on Apple to a certain extent.
    LOL, I only sort of complained here as a joke, but it's funny to hear it referred to as a virus.

People will complain about anything.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Looks like U2 got a nice back catalogue sales boost out of this.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...aunch-20140914

You've got to laugh! U2 hate is still going strong round the world!

"Apple releases U2 album removal tool"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29208540

You actually need a removal tool? You can't just delete it?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nothing to do with "U2 hate". I don't like unwanted product being offered to me, whether it's phone calls offering double glazing; junk mail; or doorstep callers offering tree-pruning, cleaning products or religion. We're getting closer to the concept seen in 'Minority Report' where you are constantly being bombarded with directed (or even undirected) advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    We're getting closer to the concept seen in 'Minority Report' where you are constantly being bombarded with directed (or even undirected) advertising.
    That will absolutely happen, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    mostly those who seem to hate U2.
    I've been told all my life by rock critics and snobs that U2 was "the" band, that all the bands I liked were crap but U2 was "important" and "relevant" and "blah blah blah." Thus, I felt this whole stunt is predicated on the idea that "everyone loves U2" and "who wouldn't want an album from us." I suppose any publicity is good publicity, and they'll get a burst of sales from contrarians out of this bit of negativity, but it is nice to see words like "Apple learned that not everyone likes U2" in an article for a change, instead of more press-fellatio on Bono's organ.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I seem to recall using a music player called "Musicmatch" back in the day, and then Winamp - both gave you "free music" when you installed their software.

How is this different?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I seem to recall using a music player called "Musicmatch" back in the day, and then Winamp - both gave you "free music" when you installed their software.

How is this different?
    Nobody opted in for Push content.
    I think it's mainly the assumption that everyone likes U2.

Would they have done this with an Iron Maiden album?

Or what if you're a little old lady and your child had loaded all your Liberace and Pavarotti onto an iPod for you, and suddenly this aggressive Irishman is yelling in your ears?

I Found What I'm Not Looking For

I can't believe the news today,
    They put U2 on my phone and I can't make it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nobody opted in for Push content.
    Really? Again, the way I understood it was that iTunes only put it in your "iCloud library." The user had to download it, or had to have "auto-download" enabled.

Would they have done this with an Iron Maiden album?
    Probably not, but Iron Maiden doesn't have the worldwide appeal that U2 does, so that wouldn't make sense.

Or what if you're a little old lady and your child had loaded all your Liberace and Pavarotti onto an iPod for you, and suddenly this aggressive Irishman is yelling in your ears?
    Then that little old lady should learn how to use her device.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Then that little old lady should learn how to use her device.
    Goddammit, old lady, either delete it or shut up!! Learn to use your f'ing device!

In a strange move, Amazon has sent all Prime customers a free box of Lucky Charms.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I've been told all my life by rock critics and snobs that U2 was "the" band, that all the bands I liked were crap but U2 was "important" and "relevant" and "blah blah blah." Thus, I felt this whole stunt is predicated on the idea that "everyone loves U2" and "who wouldn't want an album from us." I suppose any publicity is good publicity, and they'll get a burst of sales from contrarians out of this bit of negativity, but it is nice to see words like "Apple learned that not everyone likes U2" in an article for a change, instead of more press-fellatio on Bono's organ.
    Absolutely. I spent too much time trying to find appeal in their work and never found much to like- for me they don't have the substance that other groups of the time like Joy Division and The Smiths, to name but two, have. Every album these guys release is greeted by some in the music press as if it were 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper' combined, rather than the usual heavily-produced stadium rock it is. You're quite right about the arrogance behind this move but that self-conscious 'importance' has long been their calling card. Makes me glad I don't have an i-Pod!

Of course they have seen a sales-spike from this so it won't bother them, but I have been cheered by the backlash nevertheless!

my last U2 album was Zooropa. I lost interest and moved on.

^^ As soon as Bono started wearing those sunglasses and acting like a distant Satan, I lost interest. Actually, I lost interest about 1/2 way through Rattle and Hum.

I can't believe the news today,
    They put U2 on my phone and I can't make it go away.
    ... How long, how long will he sing this song?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    iTunes says it's already downloaded to my library, but it's not there.
    But if it is in mine, it will be quickly and thusly deleted

Turn off the iCloud completely - problem(s) solved.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    You're quite right about the arrogance behind this move but that self-conscious 'importance' has long been their calling card.
    There might be something to that if it were simply their decision. It probably required sign-off by two or three organizations though. These days there are probably tons of artists that would love to do the very same thing if Apple would support them in doing so. How come we don't see more of this type of thing? Certainly Bono can't be the only musician alive with a huge ego...
    <sig out of order>