Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike + The Mechanics Tour 2014

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Mike + The Mechanics Tour 2014

I never even liked them, but I see they are touring and playing near me in a nice venue (Tarrytown Music Hall). Might this show be better than I'm imagining? Maybe they kick ass live?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I never even liked them, but I see they are touring and playing near me in a nice venue (Tarrytown Music Hall). Might this show be better than I'm imagining? Maybe they kick ass live?

I saw them in the 80s and thought it was far better than expected. More of a British R&B sound-- very different from the records since it was a good band playing live instead of a bunch of programming. And you could actually hear Rutherford's guitar sound.

I saw them in London this past March, and if they do the same show here as they did there, I think you'll find it to be very enjoyable. They're not prog, but they do have great songs, and what they play live are the best of them. I'm not even a huge Mechanics fan, and I thought the band put on a great live show.

Mike

Just read the band's bio at the Music Hall's website (I love the Tarrytown Music Hall), and wow... seven albums? I loved the first album, and then there was Living Years... and... there's more?

Based on both of your responses, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ticket. This venue is really nice, close to me, and the people who run it are nice and working hard to restore an old theater. Also, if a member of Genesis is coming this close to home and I can easily snag a fifth row seat on the aisle, why not?

Having said that, it wasn't cheap. $75.

I'm a member, so I get to buy tickets early. I'm seeing Justin Hayward (again) and Floyd tribute band The Machine there soon. They've booked a lot of near-prog and other cool stuff there the last couple of years.

Double post
    Last edited by Rufus; 09-09-2014 at 02:45 PM.

I thought the first two albums were solid in an AOR context. I love melody & those albums have it in abundance. Saw them last year & enjoyed the show. Very light hearted but fun. The promo advert does say they will play some Genesis songs, though I expect they'll be from the 80's?

So yeah, I recommend you go see the gig!

Special guests and two Genesis songs:

Anyone know who is in the band these days? I recall one of their vocalists (Paul Young) passing away a few years back. I am a big Paul Carrack fan though, and I would be very interested if he is on board.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 09-09-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Interesting that they actually give the setlist in the ad. I know that it's common now to perform a whole album in its entirety, but I've never seen individual songs used in a promotional ad before like that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Interesting that they actually give the setlist in the ad. I know that it's common now to perform a whole album in its entirety, but I've never seen individual songs used in a promotional ad before like that.
    Pretty sure that isn't the WHOLE setlist...that'd be barely a 30 minute deal. I'm guessing they just called out the most popular songs to turn a few "wait, who?" into "oh, THOSE guys!!"

(agreed on the calling out the specific Genesis songs...guess they were worried someone out there would be expecting Fountain of Salmaicis or something)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Special guests and two Genesis songs:

Anyone know who is in the band these days? I recall one of their vocalists (Paul Young) passing away a few years back. I am a big Paul Carrack fan though, and I would be very interested if he is on board.
    I'm also a big Paul Carrack fan and a main reason I like about half of Mike+Mechanics -- for me Beggar on a Beach of Gold their best. Carrak hasn't been with them for years, but maybe he is a "guest". I'm surprised they are selling $75 tickets. Now if Carrak were there....

$80 for tickets? Think I'll pass.
    I liked the first and Beggar on a Beach of Gold, that's about it.
    Now if they were going to do all of Smallcreeps Day.....
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    $80 for tickets? Think I'll pass.
    I liked the first and Beggar on a Beach of Gold, that's about it.
    Now if they were going to do all of Smallcreeps Day.....
    I can yell for it!

"The Waiting Room!!"
    "The Battle of Epping Forest!!"

I was never a fan of their albums much. They had that cool key change in 'Taken In' from their first album, but musically its not my thing. Still, I'm sure they are great live and I'd probably go if tickets weren't so expensive.

"White Mountain > Illegal Alien!!"

Based on both of your responses, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a ticket. This venue is really nice, close to me, and the people who run it are nice and working hard to restore an old theater. Also, if a member of Genesis is coming this close to home and I can easily snag a fifth row seat on the aisle, why not?

Having said that, it wasn't cheap. $75.

I'm a member, so I get to buy tickets early. I'm seeing Justin Hayward (again) and Floyd tribute band The Machine there soon. They've booked a lot of near-prog and other cool stuff there the last couple of years.
    Snagged the tix right next to you, I think. Considered Justin but being used to the Moodies wall-of-sound I'm not sure two dudes with acoustics would be musically satisfying. How did you like last year's show?

I'm confused by this latest news feed from Classic Rock Mag as the 25th Anniversary edition of The Living Years album was released in January this year????????

Mike + The Mechanics will mark the 25th anniversary of their The Living Years album with a deluxe edition featuring a new version of the title track.

Genesis guitarist Mike Rutherford and co first launched the record to global acclaim in 1989. The reinterpretation of the hit single has been recorded with the South African Isango Choir, and it’s accompanied by live versions of five other tracks. It’s set for launch on February 10 next year via Rhino.

The current lineup includes Andrew Roachford, Tim Howard, Luke Juby, Anthony Drennan and Gary Wallis. They’ll tour the UK starting in April 2015, playing a set that includes their own hits along with Genesis material.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Snagged the tix right next to you, I think. Considered Justin but being used to the Moodies wall-of-sound I'm not sure two dudes with acoustics would be musically satisfying. How did you like last year's show?
    The show last year was very good, but I can't really remember too many details. Is it only Justin and the other guitarist this time?

The show last year was very good, but I can't really remember too many details. Is it only Justin and the other guitarist this time?
    Seems so if you read the advert. I love Justin's voice but no electric guitar, no rhythm section, and no keys makes for a dreary experience IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It is an interesting new take. We currently see rehearsal set lists being leaked (at times) and once the first show is underway, there are YouTube clips and setlist.fm will have the complete setlist. Might be good for them to entice some to go to the show.

I thought the first two M+Mech. CDs were good. Spotty since then, but some ok tracks sprinkled along the way.

Suspended
    I thought the recruiting of Andrew Roachford seemed a bizarre choice, given the nature of the music made by the Roachford band. Still, it's no stranger than Jack Hues pairing with Tony Banks I suppose.

I really liked the Living Years album but I find I don't play it all that often these days; it has the title track, Nobody's Perfect and a couple of other really good songs, and several songs that are really pretty ordinary. I lost interest in them with the Word of Mouth album. I'd probably enjoy the concert, but I wouldn't pay $75 to see and hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I really liked the Living Years album but I find I don't play it all that often these days; it has the title track, Nobody's Perfect and a couple of other really good songs, and several songs that are really pretty ordinary. I lost interest in them with the Word of Mouth album. I'd probably enjoy the concert, but I wouldn't pay $75 to see and hear them.
    Could have said the same thing. "Nobody's Perfect" is a great song.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Doing! I just realized this show is tonight! Mid-paced 80 rock with SLIGHT progressive overtones - take me away...!

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Banned
    Oh yeh this is a definitely a thread about a totally progressive artist and deserves to be front and center at PE