Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Heard Buckethead for first time! Any thoughts or fans??

Just Heard Buckethead for first time! Any thoughts or fans??

Heard the song 'Earth Heals Herself' . Not a bad song I thougt, I had no idea he played that way, just thought he was some sort of "side show" type shit. Playing Metal and whatever the masses want to hear! What do you think??

I have two by him that are good, Monsters and Robots and something Overide. I have another he is on with Jonas Hellborg and Michael Schrieve that is also good. Octave Of The Holy Innocents. I think I have another by him called Colma that is mellow.
    Last edited by Shadow; 12-09-2012 at 10:59 AM.

I loved the shows he did with Guns 'N Roses. If you can check out some of those like Rock In Rio, definitely do!

Not that familiar with his work, but I have an acoustic album he did back in 1998 (Colma) and it is pretty good.

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    I have Praxis, which is very avant garde and blends a variety of styles. It's sort of a modern day "We're Only in it for the Money" without the biting satire. I also have Population Override, his jazz fusion concept record about a planet earth inhabited by too many people. I think he has a lot of appeal to prog fans and my buddy and I have always thought of him as a progressive artist. The only problem with Buckethead is that he has never revealed his identity, so my friend and I have always wondered if there's more than one Buckethead, hence making genre-hopping easy...
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Population Override is one i have also and its pretty killer. i also have one with him guesting called ben wa -devil dub, this one is killer and really tasty as it has rapping and efx and found noises and annnouncments all with some killer guitar work going down. i used to have one called death cube k which is his name re arranged. its really good stuff. the stuff he did with praxis is pretty killer also.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The only problem with Buckethead is that he has never revealed his identity, so my friend and I have always wondered if there's more than one Buckethead, hence making genre-hopping easy...
    His name is Brian Carroll.

I often wonder how he got such a thin, tinny tone from a LP. He seems a real noodler from live clips I have seen.
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

I saw him at Progfest ’99. Not the sort of music I would choose to listen to but I’m glad I saw him; immensely entertaining show! Besides, I would never have even known about Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot were it not for him!

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Монолог”-Автограф

Praxis Metatron, Thanatopsis Anatomize and the Octave of the Holy Innocents releases were high points imo. If memory serves, the 99' progfest appearance was a quick one man assault that wasn't one of Buckethead's finest gigs. Brian Carroll digs mid 20th century horror/monster movie cheese and obviously has impressive physical skills as a guitar player and a mime... some might say he occasionally falls into a rut... writing him off could mean you'd miss out on some pretty cool shit.

I guess you can scratch him off your bucket list now....

I love his work.

Magog
    He is all over the place. It's hit or miss with me. I respect him for that. When he hits, I love it.

Magog

Great player, but most of the solo albums I've heard are too annoying to listen to. Otherwise interesting instrumentals marred by people yammering about chicken coops and robots. I like Death Cube K and the aforementioned Octave... album, though.

I have a couple of his albums. Amazing musician - only if he would take himself more seriously.

For a while there in the mid-'90s, this guy was going to be the next big thing. He has great chops and a bizarre sense of humor, but his material never really grabbed me. I liked him more as a sideman, namely with Praxis and Jonas Hellborg.

I would recommend Praxis' Transmutation and Hellborg's Octave of the Holy Innocents. Very different records, but they'll give you a good sense of what he is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ... The only problem with Buckethead is that he has never revealed his identity, so my friend and I have always wondered if there's more than one Buckethead, hence making genre-hopping easy...
    I'd love to see/hear him and John 5 together. How many styles do you count here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    VERY FUNNY STUFF!!!

I had two of his albums; one of them was called "Giant Robot" (or something with "robot" in the title) and the other was "Coma," which is uncharacteristically laid back. He's a very accomplished guitar player, but I never liked his tone and his combination of shredding guitar, sci-fi horror soundtracks and goofy humor (like wearing a mask and a KFC bucket) often has me scratching my head.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Otherwise interesting instrumentals marred by people yammering about chicken coops and robots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Funny stuff!

Still digging into the Buckethead stuff; I picked up "Colma" at a used CD shop and need to give it some focused attention. Interesting character 'fo 'sho, gotta scope out the G-n-R stuff with him.

you ain't seen nothing until you see Buckethead in concert - see him whenever you get the chance, he's a trip.

i was impressed with him in that one Claypool band...and his solo stuff kind of does grate, but definitely a good player.

Thanks for the video Davis. I count a bunch of styles there I can see how some feel his solo work could grate a bit. But with the right band I am sure he shreds. I am going to do some digging into his music, starting with the ones mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    you ain't seen nothing until you see Buckethead in concert - see him whenever you get the chance, he's a trip.
    When I saw him live opening for Hellborg/Lane/Sipe, he was a lot more enjoyable than the records I'd heard. His drummer "Pinchface" was a lot of fun.

When I saw him live opening for Hellborg/Lane/Sipe,
    Bastard...

I've seen him live, and as above, he's a trip! I have a bunch of his solo pieces, you can never really tell or imagine what you're going to get. My take is he's a killer player, without question, but hes a bit too ADD for my taste to listen to some of his electric work all the way through. It's like he can't follow a thought through to its conclusion before he changes direction. Its tough for me to follow and maintain my interest.
    His acoustic work is sublime. Colma, named after the graveyard Wyatt Earp (I think) is buried in, of course, is really great.
    Enjoy the discovery!

When I saw him live opening for Hellborg/Lane/Sipe
    I saw these guys twice, and they never had an opening act.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!