Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neu!

I have 4 Neu albums (and a tribute album), the 2 Harmonia albums, Rother's first 3 solo albums, and La Dusselldorf's first 2 albums. My favorites are the 3rd Neu album, the 2nd Harmonia album and Rother's 2nd solo album.

Steve Hillage sampled NEU on the opening cut of one of the System 7 CDs. I didn't realize this until I watched a BBC doc on "Krautrock". I can't remember the name of the NEU song but it's got a great flowing groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Neu! 1 and Neu! '75, but all 3 are flat out classics.
    This!

It took me around 10 years to understand the first two La Düsseldorf albums, since I've purchased them in 1979. Glad I didn't sell them upon first impression. Now they're up almost at the same level with Neu. Motorik classics.

In the late 90s, Thomas Dinger formed 1-A Düsseldorf and released a series of more experimental albums with the japanese Captain Trip label. Very rewarding tranced-out listens...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I already had Neu! & Neu 75!, but tis thread has sent me scurrying off for Neu II - I did what was suggested, & download side 1, & the two original cuts from the single, from side 2. What I would say is that Fur Immer may represent the very quintessence of what Rother & Dinger were about (much more so than the more celebrated [I believe] Hallogallo, from Neu! 75). So, I'd definitely recommend that, if you're checking them out, you don't ignore this album.

All that said - I do think that Dinger's side of Neu! is my favourite 20 minutes of music from these astonishing years of creativity in German music - I just love how Rother & Dinger are so clearly *just* managing to hold it together, despite their mutual antipathies towards each other, & the music that each other are trying to make - & the constant spinning off & coming back together, the can't do it with you/can't do it without you dynamic that fuels their collaborations.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    What I would say is that Fur Immer may represent the very quintessence of what Rother & Dinger were about (much more so than the more celebrated [I believe] Hallogallo, from Neu! 75). So, I'd definitely recommend that, if you're checking them out, you don't ignore this album.
    Thanks! I agree completely and that was what I was trying to get across.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It took me around 10 years to understand the first two La Düsseldorf albums, since I've purchased them in 1979. Glad I didn't sell them upon first impression.
    Yes, I agree; they appear quite bland dull on first listen, especially after the wonder that was Harmonia.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

P.S. For 15 bonus points for the truly obsessive among you (hand shoots up) what were Klaus Dinger's last words, on his deathbed, to his wife?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    P.S. For 15 bonus points for the truly obsessive among you (hand shoots up) what were Klaus Dinger's last words, on his deathbed, to his wife?
    This one I know, but only because you told me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks! I agree completely and that was what I was trying to get across.
    Sorry Steve - I meant to quote/acknowledge your original post.

I'd also support all the positive comments about the two Harmonia albums - both of which are excellent in my view.

I've got the first La Dusseldorf lp - it hasn't quite clicked for me on early listens - but, based on this thread, I'll definitely give it another go!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It took me around 10 years to understand the first two La Düsseldorf albums, since I've purchased them in 1979. Glad I didn't sell them upon first impression. Now they're up almost at the same level with Neu. Motorik classics.

In the late 90s, Thomas Dinger formed 1-A Düsseldorf and released a series of more experimental albums with the japanese Captain Trip label. Very rewarding tranced-out listens...
    It took me a while to appreciate La Dusseldorf and Harmonia, they're just different from what I considered Krautrock at the time. Playful and light while i'm more into the darker, heavier stuff like Amon Duul II. One I just got recently is Cluster's Zuckerseit which reminded me of the Harmonia/La Dusseldorf style right away. Maybe i'm wrong as I just quickly sampled the start of several tunes.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Okay enough with the suspense already, what did he say?
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Silver Apples - I Have Known Love (1969)

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Okay enough with the suspense already, what did he say?
    "Don't tell ANYONE!"

(His death went unreported for several weeks....)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    "Don't tell ANYONE!"

(His death went unreported for several weeks....)
    Followed by Steve laughing uproariously in my personal experience
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Followed by Steve laughing uproariously in my personal experience
    Steve is a wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    It took me a while to appreciate La Dusseldorf and Harmonia, they're just different from what I considered Krautrock at the time. Playful and light while i'm more into the darker, heavier stuff like Amon Duul II. One I just got recently is Cluster's Zuckerseit which reminded me of the Harmonia/La Dusseldorf style right away. Maybe i'm wrong as I just quickly sampled the start of several tunes.
    For some reasons, Harmonia clicked no problems first time I heard theuirt two albums (but this was substantially later than when I heard Cluster, Neu!, and Can). It's like Kraftwerk, if I love the first three and appreciate Autobahn (that was my first exposition to that type of Krautrock, at the time of release >> I'd only heard AD II beforehand), I've got more issues with what came afterwards. This type of electro-pop was rather repulsive for me in the 70's & 80's ... I'd say I started digging it a bit in the 80's some of it, via Can (tghough I woudn't call their music electro-pop for second), than Neu! and Cluster (well Kluster at first)

However LA Dusselcorf never clicked with me... (well last time I tried was about 10 years ago >> so a re-visit might be due)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Interview with Michael Rother

http://astronautapinguim.blogspot.co...el-rother.html

A friend just sent me this. Lots of history from the early days, and then a great (2010?) interview. WOW !

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I am happy at the recent interest in Neu. What does everyone think has caused the rise in Neu consciousness, not just at PE but elsewhere?
    Neu! always had a cache of fans from the 90s indie scene, be it Stereolab, Laika, even Wire went all "k word" after their third album 154. And it was quite a pleasure to see Rother in 2010 with Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth. Great show, they really did it all proud.

Note of caution. Some of Dinger's stuff on Captain Trip is brilliant. Some of it crap. Fortunately for all of us, Herbert Groenemeyer sat Rother and Dinger down and go the Neu! catalog finally released. I also love the Rother version Neu! 86 of their 4th album, which is my ringtone, always tickles me when it rings!

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Sorry I can't edit all my useless posts.I let the mods to a job

Okay, I bought the debut based on your recommendations. Listening to Hallogallo after a long stressful day at school. This is great; exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Neu! always had a cache of fans from the 90s indie scene
    As a grad student in the 90s in Ann Arbor, I used to hang out sometimes at a couple of the CD stores. Most of the hipsters who worked at those places loved Neu! along with Kraftwerk, Can and AD. So, for at least a period of time, Neu! was very much a hip and trendy band in a way that little else in prog has ever been since the 70s. Maybe still now?