Thread: Brian Setzer: Rockabilly Riot! All Original

Brian Setzer: Rockabilly Riot! All Original

I pre-ordered this CD. Has anyone else here heard this music? I wasn't sure what to expect, but IMO it ranks among his best releases. I consider the cat a genius for consistently taking this old style of music, which had a brief lifespan of popularity, and doing something fresh and new with it while staying faithful to the spirit of the original music. This stacks up to any Stray Cats album too. I'm blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4alOOemlq4c

Thanks for the heads-up, wasn't aware he had a new album out.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Really cool. You can imagine Elvis singing all of these in his heyday.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The Stray Cats weren't my cuppa at the time. I saw the videos and all that but didn't really like them all that much. I did realize he was a decent player. After, with the big band stuff, I realized he was much better than a decent player.

I should buy some of that. Don't know why I didn't as it would have made a nice addition to the collection. Not stuff I would listen to a lot but still, it's a cool change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    The Stray Cats weren't my cuppa at the time. I saw the videos and all that but didn't really like them all that much. I did realize he was a decent player. After, with the big band stuff, I realized he was much better than a decent player.

I should buy some of that. Don't know why I didn't as it would have made a nice addition to the collection. Not stuff I would listen to a lot but still, it's a cool change of pace.
    I have sort of the same problem with Setzer. I do like rockabilly and have a few bands I really dig in my collection, but I'm not always in the mood to hear his stuff. I've found that he rarely makes two good albums in a row, whatever the genre. On the swing side, I thought "Dirty Boogie" was good but that was followed by "Vavoom," which I didn't care for. On the rockin' side, he did "Igniton!" which I liked, followed by "Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy", which I didn't like. I had the Sun Sessions one, which was okay. Because of this inconsistency, I'm always hesitant about buying any new stuff from him without hearing it first.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Robert Gordon... The Blasters... The knitters. Also great latter billy bands. I credit Setzer with bringing it all back to life during the new wave/Punk era. Stray cats had good thumpin stuff. But Gene Vincent and the bluecaps still work well for me.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 09-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    Still alive and well...

I like the 50's stuff and some of the modern stuff. e.g., http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thelivingdeads