Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Female Lead Singers

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Actually, two mentions of Annie Haslam.
    my bad!

MARY FAHL...

Elise with Man On Fire and that girl who sang with Glass Hammer at 3RP were both impressive.

Laura Meade and Anne-Marie Byrnes have both absolutely killed when given the lead on IZZ songs.

Leslie Hunt is my current fave....

Carla Kihlstedt of SGM.

Yes, she's more a violinist than a singer, and only sang lead on about a quarter of their songs - but she's still fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    that girl who sang with Glass Hammer at 3RP
    That was Suzie

Floor Jansen, ex-After Forever and currently on tour with Nightwish, is quite good. Ann Wilson however is a freak of nature-saw Heart live a few years ago and could not believe how GREAT she sounded. Heart's new CD 'Fanatic' is excellent and she sounds better than ever on it.

I will totally second Ann-Marie and Laura from IZZ. Everything they sing on becomes instantly better.

Laurie Ann Haus, formerly of Ephemeral Sun, currently leader of Todesbonden. I dig Harvest Aorta, but man do I wish I could have heard another Ephemeral Sun album with Laurie Ann. Her voice, their music...two great tastes that taste great together. Broken Door still stands as one of my best blind purchases ever (thanks to Larrys description on Kinesis), and one of the best albums of the current millenium.

Lisa Francis of Sonus Umbra and Kurgans Bane. She added a lot to the Sonus Umbra sound when she became a full member. Luis really needs to hurry up with the next album. 2005 was a loooooong time ago.

Lana Lane. Some love her, some hate her. I have been a big, big fan for about 12 years now. There isn't much original or groundbreaking about the music that Lana, Erik and company come up with, but they take so many great infuences and stir them together to make a stew that I find quite tasty and satisfying.

Amanda Palmer (solo and Dresden Dolls). Frankly, Amanda Fucking Palmer is more progressive than 90% of the artists most frequently discussed on PE. She is unique and beautiful.

Christina Booth- Magenta. Yeah, lot of mentions for her, so far, and rightfully so.

Lynette Shelley of The Red Masque. Let's face it; there is no one like her. There are times I have no idea what the hell she is singing about, but I love to hear her sing about it anyway.

There are plenty of more mainstream favorites (Ann Wilson, Johnette Napolitano, etc), but I can save them for another thread.

I was at Orion Studios on 10/20 for Izz and District 97. I thought that the young lady singing for Izz was really good. So was it Laura Meade or Anne-Marie Byrnes? I thanked her after the show.

Iva Bittova
    Brigitte Fontaine
    Anja Garbarek
    Jane ....just making sure you pay attention
    Catherine Ribeiro
    Jenny Sorrenti
    Irene Papas

Quote Originally Posted by The Silent Man View Post
    Not 'prior' - she's still a member of Mostly Autumn. Only does backing vocals though, along with keyboards and flute.

Current MA vocalist Olivia Sparnenn is becoming pretty damned impressive now, I believe she's currently better than Heather was.

This is only an amateur recording, but check this out, particularly from about 3:30 onward:

Nice video and yes she IS pretty impressive. For sure I will keep an eye on their recording releases.

Nobody has mentioned Celine yet

But I remember the nice voice of Maggie Reilly with Mike Oldfield.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I sometimes wonder how the history of prog would've been different if Judy Dyble had remained with Giles, Giles, and Fripp when it evolved into King Crimson.

Well, There are a few. Love Tina from Magenta too. But, have you all forgotten Anneke van Giersbergen, former of The Gathering? Fantastic voice!

Daggi
    The Northettes
    Kate Bush
    Clodagh Simonds
    Amy Denio
    Deborah Perry
    Catherine Ribiero

i like 2 female prog singers magentas singer and annie haslam i like heather findlay lil bit also but not too big on female prog that much

Annie
    Tina B.
    Kyree Vibrant
    Leslie Hunt
    Moorea Dickason
    Judith from Kingfisher Sky
    (oops!) Amy Darby
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Moorea Dickason
    Steve you are correct about Moorea Dickason. I am looking forward to hearing her at Rosfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Iva Bittova
    Brigitte Fontaine
    Anja Garbarek
    Catherine Ribeiro
    Jenny Sorrenti
    Irene Papas
    All fantastic singers; too bad 3/4 of "prog" listeners are unlikely to have heard any of them. For modern progressive rock/music femivoxes, faves besides Bittova (the finest current female vocalist in rock at large, IMO) include Amy Denio, Margaret Wienk (Fern Knight), Elaine DiFalco (whose work on TP's Decline and Fall is staggering, both in terms of timbre and technique, but who also did marvellous inputs with Combat Astronomy and, together with Deborah Perry, on the Dave Willey & Friends release) and Lynnette Shelley (The Red Masque). I also really dig that lady who sings on the Inner Ear Brigade record. There are some great Norwegian voxes out there too; Susannah Wallumrød, Hanne Hukkelberg, Sylvia Erichsen and Susanne Sundfør are amongst them.

Not much prog here, but...

Carmen Maki (& Oz)
    Renate Knaup (Amon Duul)
    Lydia Lunch
    Aimee Mann ('Til Tuesday)
    Terri Nunn (Berlin)
    Nina Hagen
    Lene Lovich
    Toyah
    Ari Up (The Slits)
    Poly Styrene (X-Ray Spex)
    Ann Magnuson (Bongwater)
    Björk (Sugarcubes)
    Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries)

I can't believe no one has mentioned Jon Anderson of Yes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Jon Anderson of Yes yet.
    Males trained at The Vienna Choir Boys School For Castrati Vocalists still are not eligible until and unless they have the surgery.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    That was Suzie
    You guys need to do an album featuring vocal alums. I really like JD, but also miss Suzie and Walter!

Isn't Stevie Nicks female?