Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Purple & Rotting Hulk of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Gillan's reaction is neurotic which looks rather silly in his age
    I see musicians saying variations of this same thing over and over, though, when asked about the RRHOF. They don't really care, but their fans do for some reason.

I'm with the musicians. I've never understood what the big deal is about this stupid museum. "Induction" doesn't make the music any better or worse, and who needs the validation if you love the music in the first place? Arguing about who should or shouldn't be "in" lends a credibility to this glorified museum that it doesn't deserve.

Like rapidfirerob wrote: "Who cares? Deep Purple are still great! That's what matters." The same applies to any band or artist you love.

Blackmore had stated directly that he wouldn't go, not mentioning Gillan and Co. I respect Gillan, of course, and I wouldn't pay much attention for Gillan/Blackmore debates, but it's not debates, if only one man speaks. At least two times in recent two years I saw Gillan's provoking comments on Blackmore, and I think this looks wicked. Blackmore quit DP about 21 years ago, going his own way. But seems that in Gillan's mind Blackmore's DP story is still not completed) Looks like Mr. Gillan needs advice from psychiatrist in this case..

I'm guessing that most long time, DP diehards still think that DP without Blackmore is really not DP and it's just a tribute band. I was a member of a Deep Purple fan board years ago (8-10 years ago) and there was a very vocal faction of fans who would not accept Steve Morse in the band. They referred to Deep Purple now as "Dixie Chickens." Amazing, mind boggling how serious some fans take this stuff.

I was never a huge fan of DP. I'd heard all the hits in the early 70s. For whatever reason they just never took hold with me. I was a Zep head. The only reason I got into them was because they were touring in 2001 and I was a Steve Morse fan. I went to see DP to see Steve Morse. I was impressed with how good they were. It was an honor to see Jon Lord. Great night all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm guessing that most long time, DP diehards still think that DP without Blackmore is really not DP and it's just a tribute band.
    Long-time DP fan here. I never looked at the Morse lineup as a tribute band, only a different one. A very good one, but not close to the great one that included Ritchie.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Isn't it about time the R&RHOF changed it's name? To perhaps the Popular Music Hall of Fame
    Very little of the inductees in the last 10 years have had anything to do with R & R.

The Popular Music Hall Of Marketing

The Hall of Rolling Stone's Self-gratification.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm guessing that most long time, DP diehards still think that DP without Blackmore is really not DP and it's just a tribute band..
    Well, obviously, the staff changes were quite significant. They lost two founder members, those, who created the band and who were the driving force through the finest years..Today's band plainly could be called Gillan's band, and fairly, it is Gillan's band, selling as DP.
    Do we buy this? Of course we do. To notice the differences between 'vintage' DP and modern DP you don't have to be a 'diehard'
    What you get now, is not near no way their 'greatest hits' era, but anyhow, all their albums deserve attention.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Well, obviously, the staff changes were quite significant. They lost two founder members, those, who created the band and who were the driving force through the finest years..Today's band plainly could be called Gillan's band, and fairly, it is Gillan's band, selling as DP.
    Do we buy this? Of course we do. To notice the differences between 'vintage' DP and modern DP you don't have to be a 'diehard'
    What you get now, is not near no way their 'greatest hits' era, but anyhow, all their albums deserve attention.
    I think founder member and driving force Ian Paice would take issue with this. As might Gillan's fellow traveller, Roger Glover.

Indeed. I know a lot of famous drummers who cite Ian Paice as a key influence. And did Roger Glover not carry the production load? Never underestimate the "behind the scenes" guys IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I think founder member and driving force Ian Paice would take issue with this. As might Gillan's fellow traveller, Roger Glover.
    Founder member hardly he was, eventually not in a straight meaning of the word 'founder', driving force, yes, sometimes. Not now for sure. Original DP was a band of Jon and Ritchie, they hired, and they fired people, as the conditions demanded..On Wakeman's 'Face to Face' programm Jon Lord tells how Paice was hired, a funny story..

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    Indeed. I know a lot of famous drummers who cite Ian Paice as a key influence. And did Roger Glover not carry the production load? Never underestimate the "behind the scenes" guys IMHO.
    Martin Birch I think was the main producer..also an engineer.)

This might be relevant to all those participating in this thread:

http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/de...bers-jon-lord/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

“People, don’t download it or steal it, buy it, because the money you put into it could save your own life.” I get it and all that, but it's sort of funny as he's quoted in the Who Do We Think We Are? liner notes saying "I bought it so I'll bloody well boot it".

Cool article. I'll have to pick up that dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    “People, don’t download it or steal it, buy it, because the money you put into it could save your own life.” I get it and all that, but it's sort of funny as he's quoted in the Who Do We Think We Are? liner notes saying "I bought it so I'll bloody well boot it".

Cool article. I'll have to pick up that dvd.
    The quote about 'boot it' doesn't refer to bootlegs, it's Paice's response to a review criticising him for kicking his drum kit to pieces.

So for over thirty years I've been misreading that quote? Thanks, I needed to feel stupid tonight. I guess I just lost some DP cred for not knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    So for over thirty years I've been misreading that quote? Thanks, I needed to feel stupid tonight. I guess I just lost some DP cred for not knowing that.
    Heh; I shared your ignorance for many years until I read the explanation in a Deep Purple fanzine article.

Deep Purple is a charter member of my RRHOF, and that's all I care about.

As for the real-world RRHOF sitting in Cleveland, if DP was inducted my guess is that all of the living inductees would show up, accept their little trophy and make a nice little speech. There wouldn't be a band performance. Probably what you'd get is Gillan sitting in with Metallica (diehard DP fans) or some other monstrosity.

Deep Purple is a charter member of my RRHOF, and that's all I care about.
    Hmm, that would make an interesting list thread. Your own personal RRHOF of say about fifty acts and no more than a third can be prog (because hey, you're all insane). No jazz, no rap, no disco (but I'd bend the rules for funk or soul). Shit, I might need a hundred entries.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to look up "Philistinism." But, he's right.
    I had to look that up when I read your comment, which I had misread to say "that I took up..." I'm better now, thanks.