Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live 'guest' appearances!

Phil Collins with The Musical Box
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

While I'm not a particularly notable guest (especially based on prior posts in the thread!), I did jam with The Flower Kings every night while I was out with Sound Of Contact in May.

Echoes:

The Cinema Show (also with Simon Collins on drums in the middle):

Really enjoyed that encore at Leamington. Cinema Show was wonderful especially the bit of Dancing With The Moonlit Knight at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Can folk list appearences by renowned prog musicians with other bands at a live gig. Also please post links to any audio recordings of the event if they exist?

My memory is hazy but I believe Steve Hackett guested on an early Marillion gig, anybody know which song?

Steve Howe guested with Dream Theater & played Machine Messiah.
    Similarly Steve Rothery guested with DT but unsure which song?
    Rothery also guested with Arena & played Grendel. I know 'cos I was there. Wish I'd have recorded that one!!!
    Both Steve Hackett & Jon Anderson have guested with Transatlantic (praying the upcoming KalLIVEascope features JA's gig)
    I know Steve Howe once guested at a Fragile (Yes tribute) gig, not sure if any recordings exist.
    Similiary Keith Emerson guested at a Noddy's Puncture (ELP tribute) gig.

Any more?
    Steve Rothery with RanestRane

I saw U2 in 1987, during the Joshua Tree tour, and Bruce Springsteen joined them for "Stand By Me."

Last month I saw Billy Joel, and he brought Boyz II Men out to do "The Longest Time" a capella - that was really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Douglad Adams (rip) guested with Pink Floyd on guitar for his 42 birthday.

Saw The Jack Bruce Band at The Bottom Line in 1988, Eric Clapton was sitting at a table in the audience for much of the set and was coaxed to come up on stage and play on the encores - I believe "Spoonful" and "Sunshine of Your Love." Think it was the first time they had played together in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogweed View Post
    Saw The Jack Bruce Band at The Bottom Line in 1988, Eric Clapton was sitting at a table in the audience for much of the set and was coaxed to come up on stage and play on the encores - I believe "Spoonful" and "Sunshine of Your Love." Think it was the first time they had played together in 20 years.
    Actually, they played together with Ginger in 1979 at Eric's wedding when he married Patti. In fact, George, Ringo and Paul also participated in the jam.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I saw Metallica's drummer with Dream Theater performing "Master of Puppets" at the Orpheum in Boston in the early '00s. At least, I think that's who it was...not a Metallica fan (and not so much a DT fan any longer).
    I saw Peter Gabriel join Genesis for an encore at MSG in NYC in the very early '80s iirc. Not sure that counts.
    Roine Stolt's on the Hackett Genesis Revisited at RAH set, as is Ray Wilson (who also showed up on RPWL's "Show Beyond Man and Time" set) and John Wetton. Wetton is, of course, on the last D97 disc and saw him with them performing a set of KC tunes at NJ Proghouse Homecoming last year.
    This is what sprang to mind...will probably be a long list.
    You beat me! I was at that show. That was the "Mirrors" tour ("And Then There Were Three in 1978). Peter came out and did "I Know What I Like." Because of his near-bald haircut and his Mao jacket only the faithful fans knew who it was until Phil announced it at the end. ("Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Peter Gabriel!")

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Correct! I have a rather bad boot of that performance, on tape it's hard to tell that Gabriel is even there.
    Because Pete and Phil shared a mic.

I have pics of the gig that I took. It was one heck of a show!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Don't know about that but there's a recording of him playing "I Know What I Like" with them.
    Same concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Last month I saw Billy Joel, and he brought Boyz II Men out to do "The Longest Time" a capella - that was really cool.
    Uh...

Count Floyd introduced The Weapon at Rush concerts on the Signals tour

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Although I've heard only one Transatlantic song ever, I happen to be aware that Hackett guested with that band at the High Voltage festival in London to play Hogweed. It's on youtube.
    At a quick look, the singing on this (which is Live), during the first 30 seconds of the singing, seems not good -- I'd have cautioned about that if I'd known (I'm picky about singing in general). But I should listen to the rest of it -- often the voice Live warms up as minutes go by.

Mick Fleetwood joining in on percussion at Pete Bardens' concerts at The Bottom Line in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Count Floyd introduced The Weapon at Rush concerts on the Signals tour
    Ahh, but that wasn't live. In fact, he was undead.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Band did it in The Last Waltz, and that simply won't ever be bettered.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Mick Fleetwood joining in on percussion at Pete Bardens' concerts at The Bottom Line in NYC.
    He also played with Spinal Tap on a show called The List, IIRC. I may even have that on video tape.

Jimmy Page joined Yes on stage in 1984 for an encore, which was "I'm Down." Audio exists of this.

Trevor Rabin joined Yes on stage, I believe in 2010, for an encore "Owner.."

George Harrison joined "Deep Purple on stage for "Lucille" in 1984.

Ian MacDonald joined Asia / John Wetton for ITCOTCK a few years ago, in NJ and NY.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Jimmy Page joined Yes on stage in 1984 for an encore, which was "I'm Down." Audio exists of this.

Trevor Rabin joined Yes on stage, I believe in 2010, for an encore "Owner.."
    Oh, and Peter Banks joined Yes on stage for an encore on the Union Tour...wait, scratch that.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Hackett and Rutherford both joined Gabriel in '83-- playing a cover (Reach Out, I'll Be There) rather than a Genesis song.
    wow interesting I didn't know that---I saw Adele join Hackett and sing Ripples on the Revisited tour! ( that;s a lie, she does like Genesis--the Phil Collins late 80's version)

When I saw G3 (Kenny Wayne Sheppard/Vai/Satriani w/Fripp soundscapes before the show) in Orlando in the mid 90s, Steve Morse showed up for the encore jam.

Steven Wilson joining Steve Hackett for "Shadow of the Hierophant" (He's behind Nick Beggs in this clip):

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.