Thread: Seriously Portnoy, let it go...

Seriously Portnoy, let it go...

Seriously, gpeccary, let it go. Metal/music rags are quick to want to make drama out of anything, and make a whole article out of one response to an interview question. They are the ones who should let it go, but they don't, 'cause they know it will get fans riled up and check out their website. Looks like they've succeeded with the two of us thus far.

For my own tastes, I'm thrilled, because Dream Theater is the least interesting to me of Portnoy's recent projects.

No Mike Portnoy, No Dream Theater!!

I'm telling you all, poor Mike is a victim. ;-)

I don't see any problem with anything Mike said. The interviewer asked him the question. Mike gave an honest answer. How is this on Portnoy?

More like the fans won't "Let it Go".

Their last album is my favorite by a long shot. I don't think it would be an improvement.

Mike has plenty to do without Dream Theater. His talents as a progressive drummer are unsurpassed. He will never be without a gig

Yeah, that's about the mildest answer to make hay out of. I mean, it's true. DT have Mike Mangini, who's doing a decent job, and Portnoy's got his own projects going. There's no real overarcing reason to bring him back into the fold.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Portnoy is ADHD, the rest of the band are not, Portnoy likes to do tons of different things, the rest of the band keeps a lower profile. If they reunite they would eventually clash again...
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

chalkpie

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I don't see any problem with anything Mike said. The interviewer asked him the question. Mike gave an honest answer. How is this on Portnoy?

Yep. That's the way I read it.

I didn't read any animosity toward the rest of the band in anything he said. Sounds pretty much like he's moved on. Allowing for a slim possibility of returning in the future is a reasonable thing to do from his standpoint, since he didn't quit.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Nothing wrong in that interview. He's just answering the question.Whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Nothing wrong in that interview. He's just answering the question.Whats the problem?
    His overtones of being victimized. As if none of it was his doing, the band did it to him. They all made their choice, and he had a very integral part in where everyone is. Other than that nothing.

I don't agree with everything he says but boy does MP cop it, seems like he can't say anything without someone making it into a story.
    Last edited by Scorp; 08-31-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Yep. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    His overtones of being victimized. As if none of it was his doing, the band did it to him. They all made their choice, and he had a very integral part in where everyone is. Other than that nothing.
    So then, your issue is with the interviewer. Portnoy rarely talks about Dream Theater, unless he's asked about it. And when he is (which is often), he usually is honest. Wouldn't we rather that he was honest then he just gave the standard cliched answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    I dont agree with everything he says but boy does MP cop it, seems like he can't say anything without someone making it into a story.
    This is how I usually see the situation. Much ado about nothing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Meh. The interviewer asked a question, and he answered it. I don't see a whole lot of drama here. Mike said DT has moved on and probably won't take him back, and LaBrie said DT has moved on and will stick with Mangini.

Sounds like everyone involved has moved on and "let it go." I have, too. What little interest I had remaining in DT ended when Mike left. Plenty of other fans still love the band's output. More power to 'em.