Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Cornick RIP

Glenn Cornick RIP

From the Jethro Tull website:
    "It is with great sadness that we learned today of the passing of Glenn Cornick, bass player with Jethro Tull from the band’s inception 1968 until 1970. Of course, he had also played with the John Evan Band for the year during 1967 and so his contribution to the geographical transition from Blackpool to London and into the professional music scene was considerable.

Glenn was a man of great bonhomie and ready to befriend anyone – especially fellow musicians. Always cheerful, he brought to the early stage performances of Tull a lively bravado both as a personality and a musician.

His background in the beat groups of the North of England and his broad knowledge of music were always helpful in establishing the arrangements of the early Tull.

During the many years since then, Glenn continued to play in various bands and was a frequent guest at Tull fan conventions where he would join in with gusto to rekindle the musical moments of the early repertoire.

We will miss him hugely and our condolences go to his wife Bridgette and children.

Glenn Cornick: musician. April 23rd 1947 – August 29th 2014."

Ian Anderson 19.30 August 29th 2014
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

RIP Glenn Cornick 1947-2014

http://jethrotull.com/glenn-cornick-290814/

Drag. He was my fave Tull bassist. That Living In The Past line alone cements his legacy.

What a terrible loss! RIP Glenn Cornick..
    Always loved his playing with Tull. Love his after-Tull band, Wild Turkey. And the alliance with Bob Welch in the short-lived band Paris..

He really was something special, and along with Clive Bunker were far heavier than given credit for! If I had a wayback machine, I would LOVE to have seen this live:

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Sad stuff. He was great, and Stand Up remains my fave Tull partly because of his greatness.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Damn.Those first few Jethro Tull records, with Glenn Cornick on board, meant(and mean) so much to me.

RIP Glenn Cornick.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This is horrible news...when I decided to learn bass guitar I spent hours in my garage learning to play Glen's bass line in Bouree. I always thought if I could learn that, I could be really good.

RIP Glenn
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Sad news. Loved his playing in Wild Turkey & Paris as well.

Favorite Tull bassist.

I also really dig his playing with Paris, even if he apparently didn't seem to think enough time was spent on that first album and didn't regard it all that highly.

Sad news.

doesnt seem 2 minutes ago I was sending him the Wild Turkey reissues--a very pleasant chap to deal with.

Rip. Wonder how he died. Pretty young

Sad news. Loved that headband. RIP.

Very sad. A great bassist and a great guy.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oh, no! Rest in peace, Glenn.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Glenn and Clive bunker were aways my favorite Tull band members. Sad news indeed.

Very sad. Thanks for the great music Glenn!

Bill

Sorry to hear this news. I love Glenn's playing on those early Tull albums, and I always enjoyed seeing him in interviews as well.

RIP.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Very sorry to hear this, and on the same day as Stuart Gordon (violinist that often played with Peter Hammill also died today)

I love the feel of those early Tull albums and a lot of that is due to Glenn. RIP.

Stuart Gordon died today too??? Geez...I saw him on Hammill's Room Temperature Live tour...what a lousy Friday
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

RIP - Tull are on of my all time favorite bands, sad day!

Very sad to read. I am told we are related. Though, I can't really verify that. I only had one PM exchange with him through Facebook, where he suddenly wrote me out of the blue... about a year after I friended him. But then that was it.

Coincidentally last weekend I ran across the "Living With the Past" DVD which includes a reunion of the original line up. Much sad cry face bye bye

Drinking a pint for Glenn right now. Far too young to leave us. RIP
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Stuart Gordon died today too??? Geez...I saw him on Hammill's Room Temperature Live tour...what a lousy Friday
    Yup, 'fraid so. I was lucky to see him in 1998 or so (same tour?) with Hammill in Ottawa. He did a fantastic job to "big up" the sound with effects on violin, he was like an orchestra to accompany Hammill. Great player.

And yeah, with Glenn, a lousy Friday for sure. I LOVE those early Tull albums--fantastic songs and feel. RIP to both.

A capital "D" Drag.

For me, JT is the Cornick-Bunker band. A smooth player whose lines brought a hip panache to their sound.
    I caught early JT a number of times and Wild Turkey as well; Glenn brought style to both.

Will spin Benefit in memoriam.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes