Thread: Hugh Hopper 10-CD Set Of Unreleased Recordings To Be Released

Hugh Hopper 10-CD Set Of Unreleased Recordings To Be Released

For Immediate Release

Soft Machine Legend Hugh Hopper 10-CD Set Of Unreleased Recordings To Be Released By Gonzo Multimedia

London, UK - Hugh Hopper and Soft Machine fans worldwide are rejoicing to the news of the pending release of HUGH HOPPER - DEDICATED TO HUGH, a 10-CD Archival Celebration of the music of bass guitarist, composer, Hugh Hopper comprised of previously unreleased Hi-Fidelity recordings. Compiled by Michael King, a Canadian Hugh Hopper Scholar, the CDs will be released individually, beginning with Volume One, entitled 'Memories'.

This ten part series is to compliment a heretofore large body of work (over sixty titles) by presenting previously unreleased concert and studio recordings, with a focus on Hugh’s compositions as performed by groups under his leadership. All proceeds are to benefit Hugh's Hopper's family.

HUGH HOPPER - DEDICATED TO HUGH 10-CD set features:

Volume 1 - Memories
    Hugh introduces a selection of rare tracks from across his career

Volume 2 - Frangloband
    Live at Triton Club, Paris 2004

Volume 3 - North & South
    co-credited with Scottish drummer Mike Travis (Gilgamesh)
    Live in Aberdeen 1995

Volume 4 - Four by Hugh by Four
    One-off quartet live at Bimhuis, Amsterdam, 2000

Volume 5 - Heart to Heart
    Co-credited with guitarist Phil Miller (Hatfield/National Health/In Cahoots)
    Studio duet performance, Amsterdam, 2007

Volume 6 - Special Friends
    Rare concert recordings, 1992 through 1995, of Hugh's project with Phil Miller, Didier Malherbe (Gong), Pip Pyle & Elton Dean - a.k.a. Short Wave.

Volume 7 - Soft Boundaries
    Triton, Paris concert recordings with Elton Dean, Sophia Domanich & Simon Goubet 2005

Volume 8 - Bass On Top
    Improvised studio session with pianist Slava Ganelin & drummer Aahron Kaminsky, Israel 2007

Volume 9 - Anatomy of Facelift
    Five live performances of Hugh's signature composition, Facelift, as performed by Soft Machine, 1969 through 1971. Includes extracts from Lois Frith's University Thesis: Anatomy of Facelift

Volume 10 - Was A Friend
    Various rare tracks, including duets with drummers Chris Cutler (Henry Cow) & Seb Rockford and concluding with Hugh final musical performance: Was A Friend, performed by Denis Colin Trio, 2008

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh Hopper began his musical career in 1963 as bass guitarist in the Daevid Allen Trio alongside drummer Robert Wyatt. In 1964 Hugh founded The Wilde Flowers with his elder brother, Brian Hopper. Passing through their ranks were fellow Canterbury legends Kevin Ayers, Richard Sinclair, Robert Wyatt, and also Pye Hastings & Richard Coughlin who went on to form Caravan. After dissolving the Wilde Flowers Hugh became the roadie for his friends, The Soft Machine, then a Avant-garden pop group and house band of London's UFO Club, alongside The Pink Floyd.

In 1969 Hugh replaced Soft Machine's original bassist Kevin Ayers, who left following two exhaustive American tours. Hugh's trademark bass sound (often delivered through fuzz boxes) and his compositions raised the music of Soft Machine to heights unmatched by their contemporaries. With the addition of saxophonist Elton Dean the 'classic quartet' developed a massively successful following in England and continental Europe, headlining numerous Festival's and producing the timeless and ground-breaking double album Soft Machine 'Third'.

After leaving the Soft Machine in 1973 Hugh worked with many pillars of the jazz-rock fusion scene such as Gary Boyle's Isotope, Alan Bowen's Gilgamesh, Stomu Yamashita's East Wind and Carla Bley's celebrated big band. He also co-founded quartets with fellow Soft Machine member, saxophonist Elton Dean, namely Soft Head & Soft Heap. In the 1980's, 90's and into the 21st century Hugh composed a wealth of extraordinary music for his own groups and participated in countless improvisational settings and guest appearances.

The music Hugh Hopper is a wonder to behold, a player of high distinction with trademark sound by turns gritty and gorgeous. Gonzomultimedia is honored to present this superb series celebrating the musical legacy of Hugh Hopper, for fans, friends and first time discovers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vol. 1 – Memories – Now Available!

This is the first of a ten part series compiled by Michael King. He writes: “My first encounter with the music of Hugh Colin Hopper backdates to the summer of 1976. While visiting a friend I was intentional played a record titled Volume Two from a British rock group about whom I knew little, The Soft Machine. The experience was staggering and prompted a radical reappraisal for the conventions I had been conditioned to accept as ‘progressive’. Once smitten I undertook to follow and purchase a spate of seriously inventive record albums that Hugh Hopper released and appeared on, namely; Hoppertunity Box, Rogue Element, Soft Heap, Cruel But Fair and Two Rainbows Daily. Throughout these works I found Hugh’s textural bass guitar by turns anchored and animated the music with ample good taste. Here was a rarefied musician who avoided overplaying his instrument in favour of approaches reflecting his personal musical Zen”.

Technically, by processing his bass guitar with fuzz box, flanger, wha-wha, octave pedal effects, his use of tapes loops, and later on computer programming, Hugh constructed multilayer soundscapes with great attention to detail. His creative template embraced aesthetics well beyond the orthodox roles assigned to the bass guitar and its practitioner. As example, Hugh cleverly adapted the time altering effects of the repetitive tapes loops he was creating with two tape recorders in the early sixties - to his bass guitar - by playing such repeating patterns in real time. Furthermore, minimalist mutations and modularity often characterize the rhythmic, harmonic, melodic foundations of Hugh’s musical compositions (many displaying melody lines of uncommon length). These aspects, alongside a brilliant capacity to freely improvise, (dynamically from a whisper to a roar) distinguish Hugh Hopper as a consummate musician of great standing, one who thrived in myriad musical settings”.

This first volume has the strapline “Many Friends” and features a dazzling range of Hopper plus collaborators over a period of some thirty five years.

1. Memories – Hugh Hopper’s Demo with Soft Machine
    Hugh Hopper, bass guitar/acoustic guitar;
    Mike Ratledge, piano/organ; Robert Wyatt, drums/vocals
    Recorded August 6th, 1969. Regent Studios, London, U.K

2. Was A Friend – Hugh Hopper Franglo Band
    Patrice Meyer, electric guitar; Pierre Olivier-Govin, saxes;
    Hugh Hopper, bass guitar; Francois Verly, drums
    Recorded May 29th, 2004. St. Jean-aux-Bois, France

3. Shuffle Demons – North & South
    Steve Kettley, tenor saxophone; Paul Flush, keyboards;
    Hugh Hopper, bass guitar; Mike Travis, drums/percussion
    Recorded August 23rd, 1995. Aberdeen, Scotland

4. Playtime – Hugh Hopper Interprets Alan Gowen
    Hugh Hopper – computer programming
    Recorded circa 2002. Whitstable, U.K.

5. Debonaire – Hugh Hopper Franglo Band
    Patrice Meyer, electric guitar; Pierre Olivier-Govin, saxes;
    Hugh Hopper, bass guitar; Francois Verly, drums
    Recorded May 29th, 2004. St. Jean-aux-Boix, France

6. MGH – Hugh Hopper & Nigel Morris
    Hugh Hopper, fuzz bass; Nigel Morris, drums/percussion
    Recorded circa 2002. California and Whitstable, U.K.

7. Long Piece – Hugh Hopper Computer Collage
    Hugh Hopper + Many Friends = Many Surprises
    Recorded circa 2002. Whitstable, U.K.

For more information: http://www.hugh-hopper.com/

Somebody better take my money for this already.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Volumes 1 and 2 are available for order.The site link is posted below.I've ordered both.

http://www.gonzomultimedia.com/produ...nglo_Band.html
    Last edited by walt; 08-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I bought volumes 1 - 4 last year. Does anyone have an idea when the volume 5 will be available in the States? When will the rest be released?

I received 5 in the mail last week -- Hopper and Phil Miller -- not as in love with it as I hoped. It's just the two of them and Phil seems to be all over the place.

6 is in the mail to me now.

So far 2 has been the big winner -- some of best Hopper versions I own.

Volume 4 is my current favorite, followed by Volume 2.I'm not knocked out by 5,the Hopper-Phil Miller duo.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    6 is in the mail to me now.
    That's good to hear. There was a worrying blurb in the Wayside description for #5 that the remaining volumes may or may not be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's good to hear. There was a worrying blurb in the Wayside description for #5 that the remaining volumes may or may not be released.
    Yeah I guess there's some foo-fah, but they're all mixed and ready to go so let's hope not.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ Especially since I've been looking forward to several at the end the most!

2 & 4 are tops for me too at this stage.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Woo-hoo, Hugh Hopper Vol.6 "Special Friends" was in my mailbox tonight! Only four more to go (hoping hoping hoping).

This one is five tracks from the Short Wave band (Hugh, Phil, Pip & Didier Malherbe) recorded in two concerts in 1991 & 1994, and two more tracks recorded in 1995 with Elton instead of Didier, plus the pianist Gael Horelou. Excellent sound throughout. I'll have to spend some time with this one for sure, but on a first listen it's on par with the Franglo-Dutch Band on Volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I'm not knocked out by 5, the Hopper-Phil Miller duo.
    Phil is at heart a rhythm guitarist, I think. When called upon to carry the lead he tends to lose focus. As a rhythm guitarist however I love the way he builds structures and provides a solid foundation for the soloists. He's not unlike Hugh in that regard.

Volume 7 is scheduled for release May 26 and Volume 8 June 29. Both are available for preorder on Amazon, so I have done so. With any luck they'll come out on schedule, and Volume 9 will appear in July and Volume 10 in August.

I agree that the later issues, at least on paper, appear to be the most exciting.

When Wayside stocks 'em, i buy 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    When Wayside stocks 'em, i buy 'em.
    I'm Mister Triscuits and I approve this message.

Thank you, guys.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Volume 7 is scheduled for release May 26 and Volume 8 June 29.
    Volume 8's release date has now slipped to July 7 and Volume 7's due date is unspecified. I hope this isn't bad news.

So what are everyone's favorites of the series so far? I just received #2 and #4, my first acquisitions of the series.

Afterglow Playlist for June 18, 2015.

I've received volumes one and two for airplay. I played something from volume two today.

Afterglow Playlist for June 18, 2015.
    http://soundscapes.us/afterglow/play...15/150618.html
    http://billfox.blogspot.com/2015/06/...e-18-2015.html

RECAP:
    I played new music from The Syn and Kinetic Element.

Volume 7 is now slated for July 24, two weeks after Volume 8. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    So what are everyone's favorites of the series so far? I just received #2 and #4, my first acquisitions of the series.
    #1, #2 and #6 for me so far -- but there is much to look forward to in 7, 8, 9 & 10.

Volume 7 is now slated for July 24, two weeks after Volume 8. Odd.
    Volume 8 has slipped to August 7. The release dates are worryingly fluid.

Volume 8 has slipped to August 7. The release dates are worryingly fluid.
    Wayside has Volume 8 in stock

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...T-spc-250.aspx

Wayside also has Volume 7 in stock

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-HST249CD.aspx
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thanks guys -- cancelled my Amazon pre-order, ordered from Steve instead.