Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 albums that changed your life?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Am sure that was a 'favourite' top 10 list?
    It was a "5 albums that define your musical taste" thread.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...taste-and-why?

I think my answer for the top 5 would still be the same. Those albums are the ones that stood out for me as defining my tastes; expanding the list to 10 would be pointless, and would mean simply including albums I like a lot, rather than ones that were "life-changing".

Peter, Paul and Mommy-Peter, Paul and Mary
    Yesterday...and Today-The Beatles
    The Doors-The Doors
    Songs in the Key of Life-Stevie Wonder
    Blow by Blow-Jeff Beck
    Sketches In Spain-Miles Davis
    Private Eyes-Tommy Bolin
    Masque-Kansas
    Bright Size Life-Pat Metheny
    Enigmatic Ocean-Jean Luc Ponty
    Last edited by Dave; 08-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rainbow - Rising - was my first heavy band & my the band was the first I saw but much later, opened up Hard Rock & Metal
    Pink Floyd - WYWH - first real obsession album - played it to death in my teens
    Yes - CTTE - this is Foxtrot were the first prog albums I heard
    Leonard Cohen - New Skin For The Old Ceremony - heard it at a party at college and immediately connected, opened up the singer songwriters to me.
    King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic - first 'odd' album, knocked me on my ass & started me exploring 'out there' stuff
    Roy Harper -HQ - entry in folky stuff
    Hawkwind - Space Ritual - entry into Space Rock Psyche and all those 'vibe' bands
    Hatfield & The North - Rotters Club - first Canterbury love, first time I really liked any band with whimsy & humor (other than straight comedy albums, Bonzo / Python)
    Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors - gateway to RIO and all things Avant
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew - first experience of jazz that was not traditional
    Vezhlivy Otkaz - Geese and Swans - first Eastern Europe that opened up exploration there
    Cardiacs - Sing To God - first punk avant band
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've got to do 2 lists, the first one is the same as I posted in the Rob Halford thread, and covers me up to age 21 i.e. my childhood & teenage list

1. PF – Dark Side of the Moon
    2. Kate Bush – The Kick Inside
    3. Neil Young – Harvest
    4. Queen – News of the World
    5. Gerry Rafferty – City to City
    6. Genesis – A Trick of the Tail
    7. Thin Lizzy – Jailbreak
    8. Cream – Disraeli Gears
    9. LZ – IV
    10. The Doors – Strange Days

The next list is my manhood list of musical discovery.

1. The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
    2. Joni Mitchell - Blue
    3. Cardiacs - On Land & In the Sea
    4. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
    5. Bob Marley - Legend (comp)
    6. Cardiacs - Heaven Born & Ever Bright
    7. Squeeze - 45s and Under (comp)
    8. Madness - Absolutely
    9. Camel - Snow Goose
    10. Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards

I don't think any music actually "changed my life." But these are some of the albums that introduced me to musical ideas and possibilities I hadn't experienced previously:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
    Yes - Yes album
    Chicago - Transit Authority
    Rush - Farewell to Kings
    Yes - Relayer
    Manowar - Battle Hymns
    Rhapsody of Fire - Dawn of Victory
    Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
    Opeth - Deliverance

Some of these albums were an answer to wishes. I love classical guitar and wished some band would make heavy music that incorporated it - enter Farewell to Kings. I wished some band would add orchestras, choirs and medieval instruments to heavy metal, and Rhapsody did it in a completely over-the-top way. I like the idea of heavy music and in the 80's was tuning into metal college radio stations since prog had died out, but found I didn't like 90% of it. I heard Manowar and thought, THAT'S what heavy metal should sound like.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

West side story
    Godspell
    Abbey road
    Schools out-AC
    Sabbath bloody sabbath -BS
    One of a kind -Bruford
    Masques-brand X
    Kind of blue -miles
    Sleep dirt -FZ
    Used -UZ
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

First swag at this list: In order:

The Monkees (first one): Made me fall in love with the Drums and music in general ('66ish)

Iron Butterfly - IAGDV: First Rock album I bought with my own money..started the jouney in earnest ('68ish)

Led Zepplin II: Girl across the street lent this to me...blew my 11 yr old mind ('69ish)

Beatles - Abbey Road: After a LONG hospital stay, my Dad said he would bring me shopping for a new album. I picked this. Listened to it non-stop during my recouperation. Still means the world to me. ('69ish)

Grand Funk - Closer to home: Bought this album on a complete whim while shopping at a department store with my Mom. When the fisrt fuzzed-out notes of Sin's a Good Mans Brother hit my ears. it was as though the flood-gates of sonic nirvanna opened up. ('70) Really made me take the drums seriously.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys: Also bought this album on a complete whim. Before side 1 was complete, I went down stairs, asked my Mom for guitar lessons. The rest was history for me. ('73)

Black Sabbath - SBS: After seeing them on California Jam (I had never heard of them before that) I was 100000% taken in by their immence power. After that, I took the guitar really seriously. ('74)

YES - Yessongs: a kid in school lent this to me. (He played keyboards and was a big Prog fan) The music, and Steve Howe in particular blew my mind. ('75)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity: This album (and band) took everything to new heights ('75)

Rush - Permenent Waves: While attending GIT, my roommate bought this and we were both just blown out of our minds. I think we spun this about 6-7x in a row that very night. (79)

John Renbourne - The Hermit: After exploring Prog and by extension, Prog Folk (Fairport Convention, Pentangle, etc.) I really started to concentrate on John Renbourne's specific style. This time-line coincided with the birth of the Windham Hill solo New Age Guitarists (Will Ackerman, Micheal Hedges, Robbie Basho, etc.) (mid '80's)

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    First swag at this list: In order:

Grand Funk - Closer to home: Bought this album on a complete whim while shopping at a department store with my Mom. When the fisrt fuzzed-out notes of Sin's a Good Mans Brother hit my ears. it was as though the flood-gates of sonic nirvanna opened up. ('70) Really made me take the drums seriously.
    I didn't have that album but I had a compilation called "Mark, Don, and Mel" that had the same album cover as CTH. That album had an impact on me at the time. At that time GFR and Zeppelin would've been considered "heavy metal." That's where my metal tendencies started (around age 12 to 14).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The next list is my manhood list of musical discovery.

2. Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Doesn't sound very manly.... Kidding.

You also listed Hot Rats. I haven't heard it all but what I've heard sounds like jazz to me. I thought you hated jazz.

I think my top ten list of albums that made an impact on me as a grown man (at least in the last 15 years or so)

Not counting CTTE which I've already listed (in no particular order).

Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste
    Gentle Giant - Octopus
    Faith Hope Love - Kings X
    Rush - Hemispheres
    Gov't Mule - S/T
    Gov't Mule - Dose
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Metallica - And Justice For All
    Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
    Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I didn't have that album but I had a compilation called "Mark, Don, and Mel" that had the same album cover as CTH. That album had an impact on me at the time. At that time GFR and Zeppelin would've been considered "heavy metal." That's where my metal tendencies started (around age 12 to 14).
    Count me in as a GFR influenced punk also.

Aimless Lady was the track that fired me up .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

RUSH - Moving Pictures - First album I heard the bass guitar take on an entirely new role and sometimes multi-roles; not just with notes and chops, but with tone as well

DURAN DURAN - Rio - As horrible as this is going to sound, but it was the first album that I realized that it was acceptable to be white and play a style of bass that was (at that time) attributed to being a black style. Good ol teenage naivety in a rural upbringing.

ETHOS - Open Up - Introduced me to the fact that there were other Prog bands besides mid-70s RUSH (Once again, good ol teenage naivety in a rural upbringing)

YES - Fragile - The discovery of the band that I will (to this day) refer to as the pinnacle of this style of music

BROTHERS JOHNSON - Light Up The Night
    BROTHERS JOHNSON - Blam!
    BROTHERS JOHNSON - Lookin Out For Number 1 - When I first heard the bass solo in "Stomp", I told myself "THIS is how I want to play!"..... What blues is to guitar, funk is to bass. Louis Johnson IS my primary bass influence.

REM - Reckoning - Introduced me to "sing-songy" melodic bass approaches. (Once again, good ol teenage naivety in a rural upbringing). Mike Mills is kind of like the David Gilmour of Bass: He says a whole lot with so little.

DAVID SANBORN/ BOB JAMES - Double Vision - First introduction to smooth jazz. I like smooth jazz and I much prefer it over other styles of jazz (within reason; for example: I like David Sanborn, Earl Klugh, etc. I do NOT like Kenny G)

EARTH WIND & FIRE - Spirit - First time I realized that Prog isnt just for Rock.

1. Kc ... lizard... (I was late for the KC train)
    2. jethro Tull... Aqualung... (tell me all your thoughts on god)
    3. T.rex... Electric warrior (awesome classic)
    4. The Doors... Soft Parade... (The horns man!)
    5. X ray spex... Germfree adolescents... (My amazing introduction to hardcore new wave)
    6. Willie nelson... Red headed stranger... (Psych country brilliant, best movie i ever heard
    )
    7. Wire... 154... (Like a strange dream with trippy background music)
    8. Joni mitchell... The hissing of summer lawns... (Psychosis from a female perspective)
    9. Gang of 4... Entertainment... (One step above punk , 3 steps beyond rock)
    10. The Jam... All mod Cons... ( one fucking smart album)
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 08-30-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Still alive and well...

In no particular order:

Mahavishnu Orch-Birds of Fire
    Genesis-A Trick of the Tail
    Yes-Fragile
    RTF-Romantic Warrior
    Weather Report-Black Market
    Steely Dan-The Royal Scam
    Jellyfish-Spilt Milk
    Pink Floyd_Wish You Were Here
    David Bowie-Ziggy Stardust
    Supertramp-Crime of the Century
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Well, in answer to the thread's question, the first time I played my wife 'Trout Mask Replica' she changed from being a loving partner to someone who looked at me with suspicion.

I'm assuming that there's an album out there that will change her into a sex-crazed minx that can think of nothing else, but it's not in my collection.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

is it me that read wrong (and in that case, I think I'm not the only one) or did someone change one letter to the thread title (very funny, btw)?

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Well, in answer to the thread's question
    Almost two pages and no one seems to have noticed…

If I played my top 10 prog albums to my wife she would probably kill her self.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Black Sabbath-----Paranoid: My first foray away from AM radio

Traffic----Low Spark of High Healed Boys: When I realized rock didn't have to be heavy to be good

Vandergraaf Generator----World Record: Introduced me to my favourite musician of all time

The Cure----Head On The Door: Opened my eyes to music other than "classic rock"

Dream Theater---Awake: Showed me prog wasn't dead and opened the door to now

Tanglefoot-----Music In The Wood: First CD that got me going to folk festivals

Pink Floyd----Dark Side of the Moon: First album I heard on a seriously high quality stereo system which affected my spending purchases

Jethro Tull----A Passion Play: The first album I purchased when I bought my own serious high quality stereo system which started my collecting music

The Stranglers----Feline: The album that introduced me to my wife (we can debate whether it changed my life for the better or not later)

Yes-----The Yes Album: The first recording that opened my daughter's eyes to music that was different. It was great to see a 12 year old digging everything from traditional oriental music to cool jazz.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post

mine would kill me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post

Somebody changed it.....Sean?????

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Somebody changed it.....Sean?????
    I thought so..

not necessarily Sean, though.

Oh Christ did I get "got" by you fuckers.

10 albums that changed your wife?

Assholes, I just noticed it now.

Fuck me......
    Last edited by Vic2012; 08-31-2014 at 08:46 AM.

I like this title better actually

Did anyone's bride have such bad taste in music that you changed her up for a new one?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Yes, I think the moderators are having a little fun here!

none changed my wife but me? hmm... can be interpreted differently and obviously subject to more reflection but...
    1. JT - Thick as a Brick
    2. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
    3. Camel - Moonmadness
    4. Who - Tommy
    5. Thin Lizzy - Fighting
    6 Soft Machine -Alive and Well in Paris
    7. Passport -Infinity Machine
    8. JLP- Enigmatic Ocean
    9. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
    10 Carole King - Tapestry

honorable mention or alternates
    Doors - LA Woman
    Santana
    Dixie Dregs - Freefalling
    Outlaws - first
    Kansas - first
    Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, I think the moderators are having a little fun here!
    Fun -- maybe. I believe they are drawing a line in the sand to these similar "Top 10" lists that have popped up:

Top-10-reasons-NOT-to-listen-to-prog

Top-10-reasons-not-to-listen-to-jazz