Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid album names

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stupid album names

Why did so many experimental/electronic/avantgarde/Kraut/fusion bands create what appear to be totally non-sensical album names? It looked overly clever, pompous and pretentious at the time & in hindsight I think it still does:

VdGG - H to He Who Am the Only One
    Can - Ege Bamyasi, Tago Mago
    Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka
    Yes - 90125
    Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
    Tangerine Dream - Zeit, Atem
    Magma - Udu Wudu
    Faust - Ravvivando
    National Health - D.S. al Coda
    Gong - Shamal

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water

Stupid album name by a stupidly-named band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water

Stupid album name by a stupidly-named band.

While I agree with you regarding the band, I understand the words in the title, it makes sense.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    While I agree with you regarding the band, I understand the words in the title, it makes sense.
    It's still stupid.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water.
    I would like it if they were the names of 2 separate albums. I like the irony.

National Health - D.S. al Coda
    That one actually makes perfect sense. "D.S. al Coda" is an instruction for reading a written music chart. "D.S." means to go back to a symbol called "the sign" and play through until another symbol called "the coda," which indicates that you skip to the last part of the piece or song. Since this album was all music written by former NH member and co-founder, Alan Gowen, who had passed away, you might say he had taken his life to the coda sign.

As for the rest of the titles, I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That one actually makes perfect sense.
    Only if you understand the instructions on sheet music. To everyone else it was nonsense.

Only if you understand the instructions on sheet music. To everyone else it was nonsense.
    Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Not anymore.

No idea how, but whatever.

Considering that it's a title for music, it's not nonsense at all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No idea how, but whatever.

Considering that it's a title for music, it's not nonsense at all.

Whatever! I don't want an argument, just a bit of fun.

I learned what "D.S. al Coda" meant in elementary school music class. (shrug)

Apart from that, I would have thought anyone who is so interested in music enough to even know who National Health is, never mind knowing the title of their albums, would have at least rudimentary knowledge of things like time signatures, sheet music notation, etc. Or are you telling me that whenever I hear (ahem) "prog rock" fans actually have no idea what the 9/8 in Apocalypse In 9/8 means?

There's some band that put out an LP called "LP" which was later released on CD. I think they had to change the title.

There was also a record called "2 Oz of Plastic with a Hole in the Middle" by Man -- not sure how that translated.

Brain Salad Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    There's some band that put out an LP called "LP" which was later released on CD. I think they had to change the title.

There was also a record called "2 Oz of Plastic with a Hole in the Middle" by Man -- not sure how that translated.
    Forever More ~ Words On Black Plastic
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

the 2 Van Hagar albums -

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge & 0U812 are about as stupid as it gets, kind of set the tone for the music too.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    the 2 Van Hagar albums -

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge & 0U812 are about as stupid as it gets, kind of set the tone for the music too.
    Yep. Apparently, they were still in high school at the time. OU812, however, was an answer to DLR's "Eat 'em and Smile," wasn't it?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    OU812, however, was an answer to DLR's "Eat 'em and Smile," wasn't it?
    Perhaps. Whatever the case Eat'em and Smile is a great album title, superior record, just shows that VH was nothing without Dave

Surprised nobody mentioned Tormato.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    the 2 Van Hagar albums -

Actually, I thought they were pretty clever. Not so much FUCK (supposedly, the word is an acronym for the phrase, which is what was put on police records when someone was busted for solicitation or whatever back in the day), but the other (which you misspelled) is meant to be read like a license plate, ie "Oh, you ate one, too".

A punk band called Gang Green had an album called I81B4U, which I think was a response to the Van Halen title. They also had an album called Older Budweiser. I thought both of those were clever.

One that I thought was kind of a dumb title was Judas Priest's Stained Class. I mean, if it was some kind of word play or something, I could see it, but that's always read, to me, like a typo, unless there's some hidden meaning to the phrase "Stained Class", perhaps only in the UK, that I don't know about.

You know what was really a dumb album title? There's an Ike & Tina Turner album called The Best Of Ike And Tina, but it's not a best of. It's a standard album, and supposedly has some of Ike's best guitar work, but I don't think it's ever been reissued. Probably because of the title, no title, because nobody realizes it's not actually a best of.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You know what was really a dumb album title? There's an Ike & Tina Turner album called The Best Of Ike And Tina, but it's not a best of. It's a standard album, and supposedly has some of Ike's best guitar work, but I don't think it's ever been reissued. Probably because of the title, no title, because nobody realizes it's not actually a best of.
    How about "20 Jazz Funk Greats" by Throbbing Gristle? Not jazz-funk, not great, and not 20 tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    How about "20 Jazz Funk Greats" by Throbbing Gristle? Not jazz-funk, not great, and not 20 tracks.
    I thought that title was a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I thought that title was a riot.
    How many disappointed hipsters went home with that album by mistake? Can you imagine confronting "The Hamburger Lady" by mistake?!?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, I thought they were pretty clever.
    Yeah, me too. I think Diver Down is Van Halen's worst album title. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is pretty clever. OU812, not as clever, but nothing tragic and it kept the trend going from 1984 and 5150.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Stupid album names?

The winner is…

Fiona Apple's 1999 CD titled:

When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right
    Yeah, but on internet forums the common acronym is WtPHtCHTLaKWHKTtBWHGttFaHWtWTFHEtRTNBtBWYMiYMSWYGS YHYOHaRTDitGoHaIYKWYSTYKWtLaIYFiWMCYKTYR.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Care to spill? I know there are lots of theories about the origin of the band name, but as far as I know Steven Wilson has never actually given a definitive explanation.
    All I really know is what's on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine_Tree

Of course, wiki is not definitive.

Apparently, it was a joke that they simply continued.

Now, how, exactly they chose that particular name, I cannot say. But, it seems they wanted something to fit this fictitious band they created.