Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Phillips box set--pre order now available plus track listing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anthony Phillips box set--pre order now available plus track listing

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=4870

for those who may be interested-----Here is the pre order link above for the 5 disc Anthony Phillips box set "Harvest of the Heart" --some rare and unreleased tracks. October release . Full track listing is with the link above and Anthony will be signing direct orders.

How extensive is the booklet/liner notes for this release? Will the un-released tracks eventually show up on individual CD releases, or will they remain exclusive to this collection?

Peter

As far as Im aware they will remain with the box and the booklet/liner is very extensive and written by Jon Dann who looks after Anthonys archive. Its a high end box set being done alongside Anthony.

Suspended
    It's not bad value. I never really got into Phillips' output except for 1984, which I love but which I understand is not very typical of his stuff. I remember hearing some of Harvest of the Heart at the time of release, and thinking it not particularly special. Maybe I need to revisit Ant's catalogue.

Hey nice track selection. Obviously I'd love the title track to 'Geese & The Ghost', as my favorite piece of his, but good to see Sisters of Remindum, Salmon Leap, White Spider and Paperchase. I'm inclined to commit to this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A bit expensive, but I might need this because I only have a few of Ant's CDs and would like to explore more of his catalog.

looks very cool. one thing that could have been nice would be to have the original LP tracklisting as part of disc 1 but i guess it would have made the chronological style of hte set not work. interesting that there are tracks on the LP that are not on this box though.

i don't suppose this will be available from USA vendors at all?

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    looks very cool. one thing that could have been nice would be to have the original LP tracklisting as part of disc 1 but i guess it would have made the chronological style of hte set not work. interesting that there are tracks on the LP that are not on this box though.

i don't suppose this will be available from USA vendors at all?
    Yeesh, $81 after shipping is a little too steep for a curiosity buy, but if it becomes available stateside for lower I'll take the plunge...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Thumbs up for Poly Piece making it into the set!

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Thumbs up for Poly Piece making it into the set!
    there's a couple nice surprises on this, and that is definitely one of them, as is 'Sea Air'.

I also would like to know more about the unreleased tracks. Hope they're not just new agey synth pieces.

I'd like to hear more details on the previously unreleased tracks.

I have Ant's entire catalog, so I'll have to pass on this, intriguing though the rare tracks sound. It would still be useful to hear more about these extras if anyone wants to take the time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I have Ant's entire catalog, so I'll have to pass on this, intriguing though the rare tracks sound.
    That makes two of us! Not too many of us around who own every title, I'll bet!

(Would still love to have this, but it just isn't necessary for me.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That makes two of us! Not too many of us around who own every title, I'll bet!

(Would still love to have this, but it just isn't necessary for me.)
    Count me in. Mr. P's discs take up a huge amount of my music shelf real estate. I even have several of the titles like "English Country Gardens" that only have 2 or 3 Ant pieces. I am sure I will eventually get this package for the new pieces but I cannot quite swing it right now...Mrs. Gizmotron would give that look.

Even though I own 90% of the material already, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. Genesis has always been my favorite band and Anthony Phillips has always been my favorite solo artist from that band. It may well be the most expensive single item music/movie related I buy this year (topping a couple of Criterion DVD/blu-ray sets), but Ant is an artist that I believe in and it is my hope that my contribution will help enable new material to surface at some point.

Peter

Looks great

Thinking about getting this set - I only have Phillips first few albums. Are there any duff tracks on this in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thinking about getting this set - I only have Phillips first few albums. Are there any duff tracks on this in your opinion?
    A lot of us would say pretty much everything he's done is good. Different phases-- not everything is in the same style--but the quality has been consistent.

Like Reach said, it's hard to call anything he does "duff." I think the nature-library music is kind of uninspired (much of that is on Disc 5, I think) and I've never gotten into PP&P 5 or 6 myself (tracks 5 and 9 on Disc 3). But the rest of it's excellent.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    As intriguing as it looks, I already have (almost) everything and couldn't imagine dropping $70 to get a part of one disc's worth of new material.

I also have everything he's released so won't be buying this but I would buy a disc that had all the extras on it.

Dang it's hard to get the CDs out of this set!!

Suspended
    I find one of those long pointy metal letter-openers to be useful for extracting CDs from their packaging.

Agreed. I often encounter this sort of thing.
    Well worth the effort.

I just ordered the new versions of "Sides" and "Wise..."
    Mr. Phillips' music is very important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Agreed. I often encounter this sort of thing.
    Well worth the effort.

I just ordered the new versions of "Sides" and "Wise..."
    Mr. Phillips' music is very important to me.
    I really like your last line Gizmotron! It tells a whole story, one I can understand.