Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portnoy vs Dream Theatre - false or truth?

DT obviously lost a lot more than a drummer, but the only MP related band I've really found interesting is Flying Colors, Winery Dogs is impressive but nothing really fresh sounding and TA all sounds too similar and dare I say predictable now. I also don't find MP's drumming as appealing now as when he was in DT.
    Last edited by Scorp; 08-22-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    IMO Portnoy's always been a drummer who's best appreciated in a live setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree.
    I respect Mike, and I was upset when he left DT.
    But what did he do since he left DT that he could not to do in his original band?
    Got involved in a few so-called "supergoups"?
    I feel a bit tired of all of those "super groups". I'm probably is not the right prog fan, because I don't piss my pants when I hear about yet another one "prog supergroup".
    Flying Colors is more interesting than Dream Theater? In which way? I was disappointed with their brand of mainstream pop-rock.
    Winery Dogs? What is so "interesting" in their "classic rock" sound? Professionally played, yes, good song, but again, "more interesting"?
    Transatlantic? In my humble opinion, they became self-parody after their second release.
    I quite like two DT releases w/out Portnoy. Not extraordinary, but solid. I don't feel they are worse than two last albums they recorded with him.
    My thoughts as well, it seemed Portnoy was taking away from creativity in favor of a image, hence some of the fan releases as well as some of the Heavy Metal vibes injected in a couple releases, I wasn't that certain that Mr. Mangini was the right fit, being I have never heard anything remotely "prog or fusion" from him, but what a pleasant surprise.