Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bands you prefer outside of the 'classic' line-up?

most people who don't like Somewhere Else HATE Last Century for Man. I like the whole album except Most Toys
    Why the "hate" for Last Century for Man? I love the sarcastic, pessimistic lyrics (...."god help us all"), love the "God bless [insert name of country here]" chorus, the bridge builds to a nice climax etc. Then again, I part ways with most of the fanbase who also don't like Built-in Bastard Radar, the whole Anoraknophobia album, Most Toys etc.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Their best in my opinion closely followed by Script.
    Agree totally. Fugazi is easily their best for me. Also like their singles of 1984( Cinderella Search, Three Boats Down..)

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Agree totally. Fugazi is easily their best for mincludes I'e their singles of 1984( Cinderella Search, Three Boats Down..)
    Where now getting more love for Fugazi than CAS. The remaster which includes Cinderalla Search was Marillion at their creative peak!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Fugazi ... The remaster which includes Cinderalla Search was Marillion at their creative peak!!
    Tripe, balderdash and poppycock :-)
    This reminds me of when some folks argue that Atom Heart Mother was Pink Floyd's greatest album, or that Yes's greatest compositional masterpiece was Tales. They're interesting perspectives, but not ones that I could ever share.
    But I'm glad you like Fugazi, and in some ways I like it too. The last bit of "Incubus", most of the title-track and "Punch and Judy" are amongst the best stuff they did with Fish.
    The reason I didn't originally specify post-1989 Marillion albums is that there are always some that divide even the most ardent fans.
    For myself, I can't see why there's all the fuss about Happiness is the Road, which for me is the second-worst H-era album after the lack-lustre Somewhere Else (definitely the poorest album they've ever made, regardless of line-up), but those two are not that much weaker than 2/3 of Fugazi, 1/2 of Script, 1/3 of Misplaced Childhood and 1/4 of Clutching At Straws. Whereas I really like Anaroknophobia, Marillon.com and Radiation about as much as I like Clutching At Straws (i.e. I like them a lot, but they're not my absolute favourites).

My favourite Marillion albums are, in chronological order:
    [/I]Clutching At Straws[/I]
    Seasons' End
    Holidays in Eden (yes, really)
    Brave
    Afraid of Sunlight
    This Strange Engine
    Anoraknophobia
    Marbles
    Sounds That Can't Be Made