Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube amplification vs solid state

This thread and the Vinyl thread should be paired together. I bet there is a strong correlation between those who like tubes and those who like vintage vinyl.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I bet there is a strong correlation between those who like tubes and those who like vintage vinyl.
    And for the same reasons!

I just added a tube pre-amp into my setup after hearing the same model at a friend's a few times, and it has blown me away in the short time I've had it in the chain. I'm a fairly new convert to the hi-fi world (and I'm on the distinct low-end of that spectrum as it is), but moving to vinyl has been a complete blast and rekindled my interest in music. I just completely burned out on digital music.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I've come to really appreciate the intangible difference my relatively modest setup has made for me. Can I tell you exactly why I really love the 'warm' sound I'm getting, or what the addition of the tube amp is actually doing? No. It's completely subjective, and I am by no means wonky about components, but I can be confident that my enjoyment of listening to music has increased exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Can I tell you exactly why I really love the 'warm' sound I'm getting, or what the addition of the tube amp is actually doing? No. It's completely subjective, and I am by no means wonky about components, but I can be confident that my enjoyment of listening to music has increased exponentially.
    That's a perfectly legitimate explanation, and well stated as an opinion. I only have a problem with "analogophiles" who state their opinions as fact.

or CD o'philes that insist that digital has to be better because the science proves it out.

Bottom line is the mastering makes all the difference regardless of the medium it is played back on. And on a Joe-average playback system you probably won't hear what either medium is truly capable of, so it really won't matter unless you are an audiophile with a commensurately accurate and transparent system. In that case it is largely a matter of personal preference and not an absolute either way.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I am curious how the OP has the equipment connected.... you have a tube preamp and a solid state power amp... where in the chain have you connected the X-10D tube buffer? Between the CD player and the preamp? Or between the preamp and the power amp?

I am wondering in fact if it serves any purpose, as you already have a tube preamp.... ( I alternate between a tube preamp and a SS preamp with my SS power amp in my system, by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    or CD o'philes that insist that digital has to be better because the science proves it out.

Bottom line is the mastering makes all the difference regardless of the medium it is played back on. And on a Joe-average playback system you probably won't hear what either medium is truly capable of, so it really won't matter unless you are an audiophile with a commensurately accurate and transparent system. In that case it is largely a matter of personal preference and not an absolute either way.
    Yep.

I don't claim that "digital has to be better because the science proves it out" but I do claim that digital has the *capability* to be better -- here's a nifty summary of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yep.

I don't claim that "digital has to be better because the science proves it out" but I do claim that digital has the *capability* to be better -- here's a nifty summary of that.

Quote Originally Posted by shomanca View Post
    I am curious how the OP has the equipment connected.... you have a tube preamp and a solid state power amp... where in the chain have you connected the X-10D tube buffer? Between the CD player and the preamp? Or between the preamp and the power amp?

I am wondering in fact if it serves any purpose, as you already have a tube preamp.... ( I alternate between a tube preamp and a SS preamp with my SS power amp in my system, by the way)
    Great post.

I have the source - current the Oppo - going to the X-10 (tube), then to the X-Pre Amp (also tube), and then to the ST-140 Power amp (which is MOSFET). I admit that the X-10 is probably redundant in the circuit, but it does add a little kick (db boost) to the overall sound. I've also tried the setup going from the Marantz's preout, to the X-10 and then the ST-140. It adds that tube-y-ness to the overall sound, but the X-Pre really tips it over the edge. It's fun to experiment with all this!
    c
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

And you like this tube-y-ness tipped over the edge? How would you describe it? You got me curious now....

The best way I can describe it is that it sounds more "real", like the band is right in the room. I know "warmth" is used to describe the sound, and I get what that means, but for me, it's about realism, transparency.

Most of all, the combo really brings the best out of my speakers. Mind you, I have multiple inputs, phono, disc, and dac. As for analog vs digital, I can only say this: depends on the recording/mastering to which sounds "best".

BTW, one of my fav recordings to demo is Atomic Rooster's In Hearing Of. The track Black Snake is killer.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"