Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NFL Wants Musicians to Pay for the Honor of Playing the Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What measurement do you use to determine when a band or artist 'sells out'?
    Whether or not anybody in the world has heard of them besides us nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My point is if you want entertainment pay for it. The NFL is just trying to milk every last cent. I personally find it classless to ask the performers to pay. It's the same as those restaurants asking artists to play for free to showcase their material. If you want someone to provide a service for you pay them. The halftime show is part of the entertainment package and are charging big bucks for. They just come off as cheap.
    Exactly.

And musicians who pay to play come off as desperate, whether it's for their friends at the local saloon or for the Super Bowl. There's a galaxy of difference in terms of profile size, but it's the same shit when it comes right down to it.

Whatever happened to pride (says a guy called "No Pride)? I'm talking about the NFL AND the bands/artists that would agree to that arrangement.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    wow, you're a sensitive lil fella aint ya! You'd figure with the soapbox you get on in every thread you post in, you'd be able to roll. I'm not worked up, never have been. Just asked "why do you care" Simple as that. If you're not a fan, I don't know why you'd care (other then just to have something to moan about) I AM a fan and I don't care what happens with the halftime show. That's where I stand. It is what it is.

I'm going to go now and let you and spellbound play with your ball. Enjoy!
    For someone who professes not to care, you sure are a gabby child. Don't hurry back.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Super Bowl can go &$#% itself for all I care.
    <sig out of order>

I started reading the article and got as far as this: ....This year’s three candidates are Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Coldplay......

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Whatever, I watch the game, then reach for the remote once the clock ticks down to zero in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You'd figure with the soapbox you get on in every thread you post in, you'd be able to roll.
    Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    For someone who professes not to care, you sure are a gabby child. Don't hurry back.
    I think he likes me. He pays more attention to me than my kids.

I don't have the heart to tell him that he's not my type. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Yes should play the entire topographic oceans. That would draw a lot of fans.
    Wouldn't Going For the One (the song) with its sporting theme be more appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I started reading the article and got as far as this: ....This year’s three candidates are Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Coldplay......

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Whatever, I watch the game, then reach for the remote once the clock ticks down to zero in the first half.
    Hell, I'll watch Katy Perry with the mute on. She's got a bod built for sinnin'
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Hell, I'll watch Katy Perry with the mute on.
    It's the best way to watch her. And she's definitely watchable!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Hell, I'll watch Katy Perry with the mute on. She's got a bod built for sinnin'
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It's the best way to watch her. And she's definitely watchable!

I'm relieved to see we're now discussing something concrete & substantial, like Katy's rack! (certainly not her talent)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

What is the big deal about Katy Perry?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm relieved to see we're now discussing something concrete & substantial, like Katy's rack! (certainly not her talent)
    She has a nice keister as well
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What is the big deal about Katy Perry?
    I just don't know...

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You guys act like you've never seen a brunette with tits. Big deal.......lol

The next one I see will always be the last one I feel the need to see.

I just wanted an excuse to post that pic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've seen one & I've decided I'd like to see some more
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "Ladies & Gentlemen, it's time for the halftime extravaganza. Put your hands together for the highest bidder for the slot, singing "Almost Cut My Hair", Donald Trump!"

We should all get together and bid and have the Magma half time...

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    We should all get together and bid and have the Magma half time...
    Unless they stick to stuff off either Attahk or Merci, they're gonna have to do a severely truncated version of something, or perhaps a medley.

Pay-To-Play, a ridiculous abomination that MUST be stamped out at ANY level, harmful to musicians trying to make anything of a living and build an audience, plus it devalues what you do in many people's eyes if you have to pay a venue owner to allow you to play, a ripoff of the lowest order for musician and audience alike. And the money-grubbing NFL trying to do this? PUUUHHHLEEEEEEEZE! Furthermore, there is NO SUCH THING as a good half-time show.

Yes, my curmudgeonly side is holding court today, AFAIC the NFL can go to hell for all I care, ridiculous waste of time.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Tell us how you really feel

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grizzly Bear View Post
    , AFAIC the NFL can go to hell for all I care, ridiculous waste of time.
    I've been saying the exact same thing for 31 years!

As a huge fan of the game of football, I look upon the Super Bowl as basically the afterbirth of the playoffs. They have mutated a once great end of season game into an extravaganza for The Masses or I as call them; The Maggotry. The lowest common denominator music, commentary, commercials, "look everyone! Bright flashes and smoke" The halftime show is when I do laundry or take a massive. I am going to record it on DVR this year, wait 20 minutes and skip the BS and get to the game.

Fuck the NFL as an greedy organization and fuck the Super Bowl show bullshit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Fuck the NFL as an greedy organization and fuck the Super Bowl show bullshit!
    You tell 'em