Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Old Vinyl Collection .....

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    When CDs came out I repurchased most of my rock but I elected not to replace my jazz and classical LPs (of which I have a few thousand). My turntable is down right now but I plan to keep my LPs until I can no longer play them.

Hipster trend? Well yes, CDs are demonstrably better in every regard except artwork. But I can't be too judgmental, after all LPs were fine for me for twenty years!
    Disagree on both points. Our vinyl sales are now about 35-40% of our business with over 2000 titles in stock, up from about 300 about 3 years ago. On Record Store Day we sold 178 pieces of "NEW" vinyl and there is a huge increase in titles being re-released. LP versus CD will be an argument with no end to it but there's no doubt that some things sound better on CD and some things on LP depending on the many variables in the equation. Today alone, one customer bought $800 in new vinyl and another $380. It's here for a good long while again is my guess......FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize that we were counting our wives' collections, too. I'd say between my 400 or so albums, and her 100 or so, we have 400 or so good ones.
    Great post!

I still have mine from the 60's on. When I need an extra twenty thousand dollars I will start selling them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Great post!
    I should be fair. She has several Moody Blues albums and loves Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman. Of course, I bought them for her.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Disagree on both points. Our vinyl sales are now about 35-40% of our business with over 2000 titles in stock, up from about 300 about 3 years ago. On Record Store Day we sold 178 pieces of "NEW" vinyl and there is a huge increase in titles being re-released. LP versus CD will be an argument with no end to it but there's no doubt that some things sound better on CD and some things on LP depending on the many variables in the equation. Today alone, one customer bought $800 in new vinyl and another $380. It's here for a good long while again is my guess......FWIW
    I'm actually glad vinyl is "coming back" or has come back or at least is worth more than it costs to melt it down. That means my collection isn't worthless afterall, it means somebody is still willing to put up with surface noise and rumble and scratches and pops and maybe I can retire on that wall of vinyl I never sold because I couldn't get enough for it to cover shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    it means somebody is still willing to put up with surface noise and rumble and scratches and pops...
    I LOVE THAT STUFF!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I still have my records. I don't play them often, but when I do it puts a smile on my face. As far as I'm concerned the format never went away, it just became hard to find for a few years. I don't buy new releases on vinyl because of the high price. And I don't know any hipsters.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^If the price of 'new' records was lowered, I think they would sell far more and have appeal beyond the affluent. The 180 gram thing seems to add weight to the price as much as the record. Why isn't a regular weight enough?

I also don't know why some companies put time into repressing stuff (particularly from the 1980s) that is everywhere on the second-hand market for basically pennies anyway. You don't exactly have to be 'in the know' to find that sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Oh, I didn't realize that we were counting our wives' collections, too. I'd say between my 400 or so albums, and her 100 or so, we have 400 or so good ones.
    (we're a bunch of macho pigheads)

Yeah, my GF's vinyls were a typical girl's collection ... plenty of crud, but a few little interesting stuff like Floyd and Moody Blues)

But I bet most of her singles (she's got more 45 and 33) must be worth quite a bit.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Originally Posted by rcarlberg

When CDs came out I repurchased most of my rock but I elected not to replace my jazz and classical LPs (of which I have a few thousand). My turntable is down right now but I plan to keep my LPs until I can no longer play them.

Hipster trend? Well yes, CDs are demonstrably better in every regard except artwork. But I can't be too judgmental, after all LPs were fine for me for twenty years!
    my tt is also down and I'm in no hurry to repair it... I very rarely have the urge to play a vinyl (too user-unfriendly) anyway

Birdie: you're in a niche market... Yeah, your clients are passionate and probably good customers, but the average joe is still buying overwhelmingly CDs when buying physical music... (In Belgium - and Continental Europe in gebneral - , CDs still outsell vinyls by 150 to 1... mind you 10 years ago, the ratio was 1000 to 1)
    At your local supermarkets or even bigger general surface (hypermarkets), you still have CDs on sale in a corner... granted, 99% is crud that you and I won't even consider using as beer glass coasters, (like Madonna, Bieber or Gaga compilations), but that stuff still sells enough to retain the shelf-space in the supermarkets...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

We have few record stores left over here, but the few we do have are increasingly broadening their vinyl sections, and shrinking the CD sections to represent just chart and major back catalogue names. I guess on-line is still a massive slice of the market, but if you love browsing a record store as we probably all do, I can see why vinyl appeals to the younger generation looking for something special. It is what drew us all into this world, well it certainly did for me. I used to spend every evening after school in my favourite store, just chatting, listening, browsing and when funds allowed buying, and it gave me a life long love for the discovery of music. This is something that I find less appealing when clicking on-line.

Sold all my vinyl back in the mid 90's.I needed money.I had tons of jazz, free jazz, improv and related lp's that were worth $ to Other Music in NYC, which bought most of my collection.Downtown Music Gallery bought some,but Other Music paid the most for my stuff.

Little did i know how long it would take for many of my most cherished jazz/free jazz lp's to finally make it to cd.Some still haven't made it to disc.
    Last edited by walt; 08-20-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Still have mine, all 5000 of them.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Love my vinyl collection..! But just sold a 600 lot on EBAY ( buyer drove about 3-4 hrs from Georgia to NC), and when I moved down here I donated about 250 or so to the local Goodwill..So that leaves me with about 1,500 and will hold on to them. I have 2 active turntables( 1 belt drive Sansui from the 80's, and a Ion hooked to my computer) Also have 2 brand new in box, a Sansui and an Aiwa ready to go when needed. Oh, and my "retro" look Crosley..!!

I have 3,000 albums and will never sell them!

Bought my first vinyl album in '64--Introducing the Beatles--and haven't stopped since. I thinned my rock collection when I made a move in '80 but kept all of my jazz, a large percentage of which hasn't been issued on CD and likely never will be.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88
    The 180 gram thing seems to add weight to the price as much as the record. Why isn't a regular weight enough?
    Some of the best-sounding old records I have are less than 180 grams. Or so I would guess. On this side of the pond, the only people with metric mass scales are drug dealers and/or pharmacists (legal drug dealers). In the '70s, when I bought most of my records, I don't recall anyone talking about or caring about the weight of the vinyl. The quality of the vinyl was another matter. Many American record companies pressed good music onto bad vinyl. That should be a hanging offense, but in this country our corporate overlords have spent decades getting the public accustomed to a lack of quality in everything.

"There ain't no beauty
    And there ain't no style,
    There's no quality
    And there's no purity.
    Honour's dead and buried
    Because it's unnecessary.

They're tearing old quality down
    Without any pity,
    Now they're coming to take me away
    To Scrapheap City." - Ray Davies, "Scrapheap City," Preservation Act 2, The Kinks
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I made a move in '80 but kept all of my jazz, a large percentage of which hasn't been issued on CD and likely never will be.
    This is sadly all too true -- much of my jazz collection and nearly all of my classical LPs have never been issued on CD. That's one reason I've kept my old vinyls. Another is that the covers are cool.

Also, they weren't worth jack shit and cost too much to mail.

Mo, do you still have that 'Introducing The Beatles'?? I dread to think what an original Vee Jay copy of that is worth!

Agreed on corporate tactics; the quality took a very noticeable downturn in the 80s and 90s, it's as if they were trying to force people away from the medium to CDs, the same way they are doing now with downloads. Just looking at the vinyl alone tells you it's not going to sound good! How ironic that the format is now 'back'.

Some of these reissues I've read bad things about. I was recently reading about a reissue of the Carpenters' 'Singles 1969-73' album (another one really where a reissue isn't necessary considering how common the original is) where it bore no resemblance to the original, which had segues, introductions and different vocals to make it flow as a proper album. Instead, apparently they just put the songs on the album on it any old how. I mean, I wasn't there at the time either, but I know what the right versions and mixes of music of the time are because I've researched it myself. You'd think companies could do the same.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.

I came of age during the CD era, but over the past five or so years I have been getting more and more into vinyl, to the point that it is now my preferred format. My collection is fairly modest by the standard of this forum...maybe 300 or so (compared to 2000 CDs). It's a mix of vintage, new, and reissues.

I'm a big fan of CDs but when a good vinyl system is dialed in it's just magical to me. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    when a good vinyl system is dialed in it's just magical to me.
    Good word choice!

Love my vinyl, but started selling them a year ago on Amazon.

I don't have the room or time to enjoy them anymore.

But yeah, our generation, who grew up in the late 60s & 70s, will always have a love affair with those things.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I am at the point of considering selling mine. I just never listen to them any more. I have another couple of thousand of CDs and that is plenty to listen to as it is.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post

I'm a big fan of CDs but when a good vinyl system is dialed in it's just magical to me. I love it.
    Audiophiles of the world ... UNITE!

big_vinyl_rules_1.jpg
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Audiophiles of the world ... UNITE!
    They have already