Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Rothery Band

Steve Rothery Band

Mr Rothery seems to be very active this autumn with not only one but two releases ("Live In Rome" and " The Ghosts Of Pripyat"). I have always greatly admired his guitarplaying in Marillion but was a bit underwhelmed with some of the material on his website. Beautiful soloing of course but the songs seemed to lack some depth from what I could hear...?

I have still ordered both albums - autobuy

Any thoughts?

The Wall

I did the kickstarter for the deluxe version of the studio album, very much looking forward to the final product. I'm sure it will be great. I liked both The Wishing Tree albums too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have the first live CD/ DVD he released, was in the Kickstarter for the deluxe version of the album, and preordered the Rome CD. I took the first live performance as very preliminary, but haven't heard anything else except a couple other live clips. Have to wait to hear the finalized studio material to judge. I thought the live stuff was pretty enjoyable, even if it didn't seem to really "go somewhere."

If you look for the earlier thread on all this, back in the 80s he was offered the chance to do an instrumental album for IRS Records but he passed. So he may be sort of getting that out of his system.

I did the Kickstarter thing, too. Looking forward to it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Downloaded The Ghosts of Pripyat from Steve's Bandcamp site today, just listened to the full album, sounds great! I go through phases where I don't listen to all-instrumental albums as much, but this was a very enjoyable 55 minute listen.

Got the download link e-mail today from Kickstarter/Bandcamp, so I'm finally checking this out properly now. Sounds great! Looking forward to the discs arriving. It was January that I paid for it! :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

from what i've heard ex initial samples, it was all going to be laid back midtempo ish thing. I'll wait for proper reviews/samples. Dont mind spending a buck or two, but only for something that really appeals to me... say Iris, that other Marillion dudes were into (only as example).

At least one of the songs on SR's studio album (White Pass I think and maybe Yesterday's Hero too) has a very "Clutching at Straws" sound --- I felt like cutting and pasting/superimposing some single-note vocal segments from past recordings of Fish singing, so as to create a new version of the tune that would have a vocal melody/lyric in the song. I might do it in some distant future for the fun of it.

Glad to hear it. I've got the download loaded on my iPod, but might wait until the CD deluxe edition arrives to listen to it.

I've already listened to/watched the two live versions a few times of course.

Looking forward to the deluxe edition I ordered. I'm not much of a download person so I'm just waiting to get the album.
    Oddly enough the latest National Geographic has an article on Pripyat. I'll admit my ignorance and say I had no idea what Pripyat was until I read this article.

Deluxe edition arrived today. Nice to have the actual release finally. Also nice to see my name in the credits!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Still really enjoying Ghosts of Pripyat and recently picked up the Live in Rome CD/DVD set as well. I have lots of music DVDs I haven't even watched yet, but stuck this in yesterday and it was very enjoyable. The guest singers on the Marillion tracks are quite good, even if they both have a bit of an accent. A girl sings Waiting to Happen and a guy sings Afraid of Sunlight and Easter, both were very nicely done. I like the video work, it doesn't jump around too much, and the audio mix sounds great. I haven't watched the whole thing, but of what I've watched, the band plays very well and, of course, it features the master himself on guitar. I can't imagine a Marillion fan (especially h-era) not enjoying this release.

I'm still playing this 3-4 times/week. Definitely a "Top Album of 2014" for me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Both of these releases have been kicking my ass since they arrived in the mail.

I've waited YEARS for something like this.

Agree. But there are three releases.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Agree. But there are three releases.
    Was that download only? Or was a CD made?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    was a CD made?
    There are CD/DVDs for all of 'em.

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/liveinplovdiv.htm

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/liveinrome.htm

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums...ardedition.htm
    http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums...ialedition.htm

Plovdiv was released almost a year ago (download in December, hardcopy in Feb), so maybe the folks saying "both" are referring to the two that are somewhat new.

This is such a great album. I'd love to see a vinyl release but I don't think it will happen. I'll be happy with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    There are CD/DVDs for all of 'em.

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/liveinplovdiv.htm

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/liveinrome.htm

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums...ardedition.htm
    http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums...ialedition.htm

Plovdiv was released almost a year ago (download in December, hardcopy in Feb), so maybe the folks saying "both" are referring to the two that are somewhat new.
    Thanks. I kind of lost track after the download last year and picked it up again when the two recent releases finally arrived in the mail.

I'm jealous of the people getting to see the shows. No hope of that in the states I'm sure.

Orcopian
    Caught the show at the robin2 on Friday night, the new cd was played in full in the first set, it worked really well I thought, the bands were having a great time on stage and the playing was excellent. For the second set the singer from tribute band stillmarillion joined in to sing some old classics, we had Cinderella search, Easter, afraid of sunlight, incubus, Chelsea Monday, fugazi, sugar mice and heart of Lothian. Some great nostalgia and out if tune singing from the crowd who knew every word. I guess these were steve's favourite solos from the older material he doesn't get to play much anymore.

I really enjoyed the night with the 2 sets and I was near the front so had a great view of steve's playing. No surprise to me but dave foster was equally good.

Mention for ranestrane who played a set based on their monolith cd. Would have been interesting to see the film projection at the same time of 2001. Being unfamiliar with the music it took a bit of getting into and overall I enjoyed their set, I picked up 2 of their previous albums the shinning and nosferatu for £22 which seemed a good price as you can't seem to get much of their material online. Also got the live at plopdiv cd/DVD for £6, and also got the standard ghosts of Pripyat, the deluxe version for £24 for a DVD extra seemed a bit pricy but maybe I will regret not getting it in future.

Aww, man. Jealous, indeed.

Did you guys know there's yet one more live Rothery Band show on CD? It's live from Bush Hall, London 8/11/2014. It one of those CDs that was for sale immediately after the show, and can also be ordered from LiveHereNow, but it's rather expensive and is probably a CD-R.

The setlist is on setlist.fm

I want this but not sure I want to pay so much for it.

Did you guys know there's yet one more live Rothery Band show on CD?
    Well now, that is interesting. Those new additions would be fun to hear.

I was happy to buy the actual album at full price, but stuck to the downloads for live releases because they were pretty cheap. Do I want a fourth version of the same batch of songs? Errr.... sure, but for less than £11.

Did you guys know there's yet one more live Rothery Band show on CD? It's live from Bush Hall, London 8/11/2014. It one of those CDs that was for sale immediately after the show, and can also be ordered from LiveHereNow, but it's rather expensive and is probably a CD-R.

The setlist is on setlist.fm

I want this but not sure I want to pay so much for it.

Thanks for posting that.

I wonder how much Rothery makes off of this. Don't know much about it, but I'm guessing the venue/promoter does this for everybody.

I'm not one who enjoys paying for CDRs either. If I knew some effort was put into the production I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. Tough call.

^ Steve recently mentioned on Facebook that Tim Sidwell filmed the Bush Hall show, and that he (Steve) is really happy with the footage so far, so he's keen on a DVD release. Fingers crossed. I'm holding off on that CDR too...