Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camel - Rajaz

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Been on a Camel binge ranging from Mirage, Moonmadness and some amazing boots....Reading a lot of good things on this one...very early classic sounding..Any thoughts???
    Okay, I love Rajaz, but whoever told you it sounds like early Camel clearly has been consuming large quantities of illegal drugs. A lot of it is pretty sparse and atmospheric and gentle, with little of the hard-rocking edge of the first two albums. There are some upbeat moments (the first couple tracks, and "Sahara"), but most of it is pretty low-key. It's very good stuff -- moody and melodic and emotional. But Mirage, it ain't.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Okay, I love Rajaz, but whoever told you it sounds like early Camel clearly has been consuming large quantities of illegal drugs. A lot of it is pretty sparse and atmospheric and gentle, with little of the hard-rocking edge of the first two albums. There are some upbeat moments (the first couple tracks, and "Sahara"), but most of it is pretty low-key. It's very good stuff -- moody and melodic and emotional. But Mirage, it ain't.
    As Hank Hill would say, "Yup".

I really can't see what all the fuss is about so-called classic Camel (tin hat on), but Dreams, Dust and Rajaz are all gems. But I had to shake my head at Nod.

I love ALL Camel releases but I would say my fav (of the later ones) is Harbour of Tears

I am in the camp that believes that the whole "Rajaz being like early Camel" is a whole lot of hype.

To me, Dust and Dreams was year zero for Latimer--he had stumbled upon his style of songwriting which has carried him to the present day. It's certainly more bluesy and earthy than their material in the Bardens years. It picks up many threads from the earlier work--especially the Nude album (which is incredibly underrated in my book, and possibly the one I listen to most besides Moonmadness and the Sinclair tracks from A Live Record).

One thing I love about more recent Camel is his seeming embrace of age and wisdom. I love the simplicity of the beginning of "Shout". There's nothing proggy about it, but it is weathered and beautiful.

And for the record, my favorite all time Camel track these days is probably "A Boy's Life" from A Nod and Wink

Rajaz is my favorite of the 4. I connected with it pretty quickly. All of that post 80s Camel have a bit of an emotional current running through, and understandably so, but I think Rajaz specifically has the the fuller package of what most Camel fans would be looking for.

FWIW, I'd rank them like this:

1. Rajaz - Strongest overall, a few standout tracks.
    2. Dust & Dreams - Holds up very well, quality dips in spots, but some choice melodies.
    3. Harbour of Tears - Less compelling than D&D, but the 2 or 3 standout tracks still make it worthwhile.
    4. A Nod and a Wink - Just could never connect, even years later. I like two songs and the rest I forget completely.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I am in the camp that believes that the whole "Rajaz being like early Camel" is a whole lot of hype.
    True, though I do think that Three Wishes is very Lunar Sea-esque.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

One thing about classic Camel that is not so much present with later Camel is, hopefully without sounding cheesy, is the positive feeling of joy in their music. 'Echoes', 'Lunar Sea', 'Chord Change', 'Song Within A Song', 'Never Let Go', and 'Freefall' are all examples of this. Later Camel is more reflective though still quite emotional. But I have to agree that this classic feeling is all over 'Three Wishes'. 'Coming of Age' (from Harbour) and 'Squigely Fair' (from Nod) are quite impressive as instrumentals too, and sound pretty classic to me.

Yeah, when I think of "old Camel," I think of heavy riffage and lots of lead playing. Newer Camel is much more melodic and composed, with much less balls-out rocking out.

Don't get me wrong, I love both. They're just different.
    flute juice

I preferred the actual Camel than the "classic" Camel. It's a pity that music form Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are left out in their concerts and DVD's (except Harbour of Tears). Musically speaking, the last four Camel CD's are the best music they have produced in their career, but seldom heard.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    It's a pity that music form Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are left out in their concerts and DVDs
    So you didn't see their Snow Goose tour last year, or the DVD of the Barbican show that just came out? Set-list in the second half contained two tracks from A Nod and a Wink, if memory serves...

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    So you didn't see their Snow Goose tour last year, or the DVD of the Barbican show that just came out? Set-list in the second half contained two tracks from A Nod and a Wink, if memory serves...
    I saw the tour, and those 2 tracks were played on the 2003 tour too. If there's another Camel tour and I get to see it, I would really love to hear more new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    I preferred the actual Camel than the "classic" Camel. It's a pity that music form Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are left out in their concerts and DVD's (except Harbour of Tears). Musically speaking, the last four Camel CD's are the best music they have produced in their career, but seldom heard.
    They have played some, but would very much welcome more. Beautiful music!

The last 4 studio albums are all great to my ears, although Rajaz most of all. How many people from the 70's have managed to keep the quality that high 30+ years down the line? Damn few! Latimer is much underrated as a writer as well as a guitarist.

Well, I've been a fan since forever really.. Love this band to bits and I actually love all the era's/faces of Camel. But... Creatively, I do think that Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears, Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink may very well be their strongest ever. I sometimes wonder if Latimer really has a clue what a great player he really is and how much he has influenced other guitarists..? He really is a most modest guy! Fantastic to have him and the band back..!

I played a couple tracks last night from that Compact Compilation album I have. It'd been years since I played it. Freefall has a strong Wishbone Ash sound. And Andy Latimer was/is such a great guitarist. I've always loved his scorching leads.

Got this one in the mail today. A damn fine record, personally I think it could be in the top five post 80s record by any 70s prog band.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Got this one in the mail today. A damn fine record, personally I think it could be in the top five post 80s record by any 70s prog band.
    Yeah, I agree. I always use Rajaz as a counterexample when people say things along the lines of "the stuff the old bands are putting out today never equals the albums from the old days".

Describe it in 3 words - Fan-Bloody-Tastic

Great songs throughout but as usual with their stuff great opening and closing tracks. One of my all time favourites. If you haven't got it GET IT!!!

"Rajaz" certainly has the best drumming on any of Camel's recent albums - possibly since the Andy Ward days. Dave Stewart was really excellent. Too bad he couldn't stay (I believe he had to bow out of the "Rajaz" tour having to take over running a drum shop in Scotland ?). Interviewed him while with Fish in 1997, nice guy. If he'd stayed, with Guy LeBlanc joining on keyboards it would have been a great line-up. As it turned out, I don't like Denis Clément's drumming so much, just a style thing... A bit too heavy-handed compared to Stewart's lighter approach.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I've enjoyed their last 4 albums quite a lot, with Dust and Dreams and Harbor Of Tears being my favorites. Rajaz I have not listened to in quite a long time and need to remedy that very soon.......as I recall, I quite liked it though it has a more meditative vibe (probably since it's supposed to emulate a caravan journey through the desert, on camel's, of course). Nod has some great stuff on it, though is not my favorite. I love Fox Hill and For Today though.

The Pink Floyd thing always seemed to me to be down to Latimer's voice primarily...........he is sometimes a dead ringer for Gilmour (listen to the beginning of Dust and Dreams, it's uncanny......or Another Night on Moonmadness). Roger Waters actually auditioned him back in the early 2000's to possibly do a tour or two, mainly on the strength of Latimer's guitar playing and the similarity of his voice to Gilmour's. As it turned out, he has a much lower range than Gilmour and it just didn't work out.

That's a shame! He would have been great in Pink Floyd. Slap to you Roger Waters! You made a mistake!..(Lol!) Andrew Latimer is a more progressive type of player who brings with that aspect, the sweet guitar tone developed during the British Blues scene in London during the 60's. Peter Green...(on mostly live recordings), Mick Taylor (with John Mayall), Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck. Then he suddenly produces a different approach on "The Sleeper" which is closer to Jazz Rock and maybe along the lines of Happy The Man's style ...more so..than Brand X. I've heard Andrew Latimer play intricate note passages like the flow and speed of John Goodsall, but he chooses mostly not to do it....although if he wanted to play in a Jazz Rock style more often, I am a hundred percent sure he would have no problem doing it. He is a very diverse guitarist that doesn't consistently display his talents in the area of gymnastics because of the fact that he is also a very skilled writer...and that style of playing does not always compliment his style of composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    That's a shame! He would have been great in Pink Floyd. Slap to you Roger Waters! You made a mistake!..(Lol!) Andrew Latimer is a more progressive type of player who brings with that aspect, the sweet guitar tone developed during the British Blues scene in London during the 60's. Peter Green...(on mostly live recordings), Mick Taylor (with John Mayall), Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck. Then he suddenly produces a different approach on "The Sleeper" which is closer to Jazz Rock and maybe along the lines of Happy The Man's style ...more so..than Brand X. I've heard Andrew Latimer play intricate note passages like the flow and speed of John Goodsall, but he chooses mostly not to do it....although if he wanted to play in a Jazz Rock style more often, I am a hundred percent sure he would have no problem doing it. He is a very diverse guitarist that doesn't consistently display his talents in the area of gymnastics because of the fact that he is also a very skilled writer...and that style of playing does not always compliment his style of composition.
    I think it was more about Andy's health at the time than his singing. I'm glad he didn't do it though, Waters doesn't deserve him! Oh, and Waters isn't Pink Floyd.

Love 'Rajaz' and all the CP albums. Some of the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    I think it was more about Andy's health at the time than his singing. I'm glad he didn't do it though, Waters doesn't deserve him! Oh, and Waters isn't Pink Floyd.
    Correct.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listened to Rajaz last night, and am listening to the title track again this morning - such a great song! For some reason, I've listened to this album a lot less than I should have - less than the other CP albums, even the live ones. Yet, it's possibly the best CP studio album! 1999! The year my 23-year-old son was born! Jeez...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listened to Rajaz last night, and am listening to the title track again this morning - such a great song! For some reason, I've listened to this album a lot less than I should have - less than the other CP albums, even the live ones. Yet, it's possibly the best CP studio album! 1999! The year my 23-year-old son was born! Jeez...
    Yes it is a great LP and some superb guitar work by Andy. Lost and Found and Three Wishes are 2 songs I often put on "mix" cd's I give to newbies. My favorite would be Dust and Dreams... love that LP. Harbour of Tears is superb as well as are the live LP's from that CP era. Nod and a Wink might be the weakest of that bunch at least to me but Simple Pleasures from that LP is awesome.

Rajaz and Nod are both really good. Too bad nothing since.