Thread: Mitch Hedberg

Mitch Hedberg

along with the Robin Williams clips on YT, I found this guy and decided to check him out. he's gone too, but I love his humor.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the donut.

I don't need a receipt for the donut. I give you money, you give me the donut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this.

I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a donut. Some skeptical friend? Don't even act like I didn't buy a donut, I've got the documentation right here. It's in my file at home. Under 'D'."

Mitch always appeared to be high when performing, and after he died we learned he was. That sucked some of the comedy out of his routine for me. Died at 37 of multiple drug toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Mitch always appeared to be high when performing, and after he died we learned he was. That sucked some of the comedy out of his routine for me. Died at 37 of multiple drug toxicity.
    Yea, I saw him live once and he acted like he was high as a kite. At the time I thought it was all an act, but now I don’t think so. He was on a bill with Stephen Lynch and Lynch stole the show. Hedberg spent a lot of his act reading stuff off of paper. Again, at the time I thought it was just part of the act, but today I am not so sure. Some of his stuff was funny, but he did not blow me away.

His 3 albums I bought blow me away.....

Love his stuff. "I haven't slept for three days... because that would be too long. "
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "I used to do drugs.
    I still do, but I used to , too"

Mitch always appeared to be high when performing, and after he died we learned he was.
    That reminds me of interviews with Daves Ellefson and Mustaine talking about doing lousy shows when they were starting heroin withdrawl and doing great shows when they got their heroin fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    That reminds me of interviews with Daves Ellefson and Mustaine talking about doing lousy shows when they were starting heroin withdrawl and doing great shows when they got their heroin fixes.
    Of course you must consider the possibility that their perceptions were somewhat suspect.

It's like that interview with Jay Jay French of Twisted Sister on another thread -- says he saw the Grateful Dead 26 times in 1969-1972. The first 25 times he was high on acid and they were great. The last time he made the mistake of seeing them sober. "This band blows!" he said, and never went to see them again.

Well, Mitch just came into my world yesterday. So far, his stand-up vids on YT are mostly a riot. heroin can go to hell.

Mitch always appeared to be high when performing
    "People think I'm high when I perform, but I'm not. Why would I want to be high? It would be like you were all chasing me and then decided to take a break"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

This quote is only from memory but you get the gist:"

"My apartment is infested with koala bears. It's the cutest infestation ever. They all scatter when I come home and turn on the light. Awww, hey fellas, let me hold one of you! And feed you a leaf!"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I remember first seeing Mitch Hedburg in the late '90s when a friend of mine was interning at Comedy Central. She came home one day with a VHS tape and said "You've got to see this guy." I don't recall laughing as much in my entire life. R.I.P.

Hedberg and Steven Wright share a lot of territory. Love both of them.

At his peak, he was great! Big fan. Saw him live once and yeah, he wasn't at his best. He died shortly after.

That was hilarious--an art school girlfriend was trying to get me into Mitch Hedberg for a year or two and I resisited for stupid and prideful reasons.

Demitri Martin is a bit like Mitch Hedberg Lite, on reflection

Right after I first saw him, I got so wrapped up in his delivery that I used it when I answered the phone
    Last edited by davis; 08-19-2014 at 11:52 AM.

I only find about 10% of the comedians I've listened to to be funny... so the fact that I love this guy's work is significant. A damn shame he couldn't keep himself together.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Ten percent seems high.

so 90 percent do not seem high?

Ten percent seems high.
    Okay, probably more like 2%. Most comedians simply do not make me laugh. Guys I like besides Hedberg... Bill Burr, Brian Regan, George Carlin, Jerry Seinfeld...hmmm
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I dig Steven Wright. I don't watch a whole lot of stand-up comedy but we do have a Hedberg DVD to watch & return to netflix.