Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do soundboards get leaked?

Another story I heard, from a source that worked for a certain band. A writer was writing a history of the band, and came to the band's studio to do some research. After doing his research, upon the departure of the writer, it was discovered that certain soundboards that had been kept (not totally securely) at the studio, were gone.

Those soundboards subsequently found their way into trading circles. The book did in fact get written, on the band.

So, sometimes, if my source is to be believed, it's a bit of someone seeing an opportunity to 'liberate' some tapes held by the band.

Mike

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Gives all new meaning to "that show sucked."
    Oral favors for aural favors.

Radiohead used to record all their live shows and then at the end of each tour they would release a bootleg themselves to kill off all the crap recordings and versions. This also meant that they would make a unofficial buck or two from the bootleg market.

// Mattias (Necromonkey)

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Another story I heard, from a source that worked for a certain band. A writer was writing a history of the band, and came to the band's studio to do some research. After doing his research, upon the departure of the writer, it was discovered that certain soundboards that had been kept (not totally securely) at the studio, were gone.

Those soundboards subsequently found their way into trading circles. The book did in fact get written, on the band.

So, sometimes, if my source is to be believed, it's a bit of someone seeing an opportunity to 'liberate' some tapes held by the band.

Mike
    Wasn't this ultimately determined to not be true? However, if true, writer clearly pilfered the wrong shows

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Wasn't this ultimately determined to not be true? However, if true, writer clearly pilfered the wrong shows
    I'm just repeating what someone who worked in the said studio for said band told me. They believed it to be true, by circumstantial evidence.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Wait, which band are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wait, which band are we talking about?
    I'm not sure, but the band I'm talking about begins with Gen and ends with esis.

Mike

Yeah, right and the book was about Gabriel era live shows which, FWIW, is an outstanding read. I recall the story being debunked, but who really knows.