Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welsh band MAN anyone?

I have copies of both Greasy Truckers LPs on vinyl for sale on Discogs - seller name Eternal_Messenger

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I have copies of both Greasy Truckers LPs on vinyl for sale on Discogs
    These two, the Glastonbury triple and that United Artists comp (Many Are Called, after the Man song - wasn't it?) are getting increasingly scarce. I think both Greasy Truckers are well worth it, although the music thereon as such has mostly historical valor nowadays, IMO. The second volume displays Camel's jammy beginnings, the Gong recording from Tunis is quite rare now and those utterly strange Henry Cow improvs have a serene and almost surreal beauty and melancholy to them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Originally I purchased both Greasy Truckers on LP for a high price during the 70's . Both from a dirt bag degenerate vendor who thought everyone was going to get down on their knees for his rarities. If someone had the time and money to release the Dingwalls Dancehall version then you'd be able to buy both Greasy Truckers on cd at a reasonable price because the first one is still available and not for a ridiculous price. Anytime I wanted a cd very badly that was astronomical in price..I'd sell off a collection of a certain style of music that I made the unfortunate mistake of buying in the first place.

Not every record by my favorite artist is good or worth that price just because it's out of print. I don't by things because they are collectors items and I'm not out for the kill. But I will buy something expensive if it contains a piece of music I love that is not available elsewhere. Some vendors have tried to trick me when I'd bargain with a trade option of a rare cd in my collection for one of their rare CDs. They act disinterested claiming that what I hold in my hand hasn't the same value for what they are selling...which is a BS tactic. As soon as another buyer gives you an offer witnessed by that cheating vendor,...then their story starts to change. I keep what I've got and try not to deal with their games.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This year's Glastonbury had Adele and Coldplay headlining. Progress!
    All Good Clean Fun it is! I used to own that, and it was great; had all of those "rural underground" names on it, I seem to recall - Cochise, Quiver, Gypsy (UK), Help Yourself, Brinsleys etc.

As for Adele and Coldplay fronting Glastonbury, that's a polaroid of the flogged carcass right there. Glastonbury was considered the spearhead of creativity on the festival circuit up until perhaps as late as 2009-10, with daring new electronica, dub-house and state of the art radical hiphop et al. Even their rock quota used to have a certain flair about it. Not anymore, I guess.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-20-2016 at 05:55 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Sad it is. But let's remember that the generation which essentially built the modern-day UK festival circuit were children of the post-punk paradigma and thus didn't have or need to be aware of much music culture from before that point. When coming of age in the late 80s/early 90s as a student adhering to musicians' environments in my hometown, I recall the experience of mingling with and talking to people whose pre-1977 insights were strictly limited to names and phenomena which directly brought about that very same paradigmatic shift; move outside of Bowie, Roxy, Bolan or (for US stuff) the Velvets and Iggy, and there were few if any references to note at all. It was pitiful then, and it's even more so nowadays on seeing in retrospect how fundamental their influence was even in forming qualitative discourse and attemptively pointing Ahead - and basically ahead towards absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Some vendors have tried to trick me when I'd bargain with a trade option of a rare cd in my collection for one of their rare CDs. They act disinterested claiming that what I hold in my hand hasn't the same value for what they are selling...which is a BS tactic.
    With all due respect, it's no BS. In numerous cases, collectors tend to overvalue what they have when trying to make a trade for another item that has an established market value. Or, the vendor may feel they have no market for your item(or already have copies of it in their inventory),and therefore not be willing to make a move. It's no reason for you to be bitter or dispense with the name calling. Do some research(check your item on Discogs, not so much for the price, but to see how many people actually "want" it) - I had a trade recently where I was considering several items - one was high-priced but had relatively few wants versus a few others with lower prices and higher number of wants - I opted for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    With all due respect, it's no BS. In numerous cases, collectors tend to overvalue what they have when trying to make a trade for another item that has an established market value. Or, the vendor may feel they have no market for your item(or already have copies of it in their inventory),and therefore not be willing to make a move. It's no reason for you to be bitter or dispense with the name calling. Do some research(check your item on Discogs, not so much for the price, but to see how many people actually "want" it) - I had a trade recently where I was considering several items - one was high-priced but had relatively few wants versus a few others with lower prices and higher number of wants - I opted for the latter.
    It's a rip off. The market value is unjust. 60 dollars for a Gong cd? One hundred and seventy five dollars for a Beaver and Krause cd? No way would I be caught dead paying an astronomical price like that for any underground release. There were several CDs on Amazon that I wanted and they listed in the hundreds. I would send a handwritten letter to the artists themselves and they'd send me copies for free. No I wasn't lucky. They were just honest. I talk to the artists and they find this entire market value concept unworthy.

Back Into The Future was a pretty strange album for Man. It was unusual. It's true that the band adapted a west coast San Francisco style....but apparently they added something different to it. Something that caught my ear unlike Quicksilver Messenger Service who bored me to pieces.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I feel like there was a more recent Man thread, but they're a bit hard to search for.

Anyway, a YouTube poster who posts some pretty good old prog footage and such posted these, so I thought I'd share. He's worth subscribing to:

I know I’ve seen a clip on FB and probably posted it here (as Jed notes; they’re a hard band to search for), but there is supposed to be a concert film of the recent band coming out? already out? Nothing on their website, though.

Anyway, the above films do indeed look tasty. Thanks for posting!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I feel like there was a more recent Man thread, but they're a bit hard to search for.

Anyway, a YouTube poster who posts some pretty good old prog footage and such posted these, so I thought I'd share. He's worth subscribing to:

And there is John Weathers on drums, still wearing his Oakland shirt #69!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Greasy Truckers...!
    This is the only Man I have, but it must be said they deliver the fucking goods here!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Always liked Christmas at the Patti, the double 10" release...

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    It's a rip off. The market value is unjust. 60 dollars for a Gong cd? One hundred and seventy five dollars for a Beaver and Krause cd? No way would I be caught dead paying an astronomical price like that for any underground release. There were several CDs on Amazon that I wanted and they listed in the hundreds. I would send a handwritten letter to the artists themselves and they'd send me copies for free. No I wasn't lucky. They were just honest. I talk to the artists and they find this entire market value concept unworthy.
    Well more power to you IF you can find the band. What if the members are dead? What if they have no copies? Well then, if you really want the item, you have to deal with the harsh reality of the market value. You can always go to Discogs, where many vendors have a "make offer" function, or go to eBay and bid on an item. Amazon AFAIK, does not work that way. And no one is going to give a rat's ass if YOU think the market value is unjust. Stop being so bitter and face reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    ^ I have a triple CD set of Greasy Truckers with Man, Brinsley Shwarz and Hawkwind, released in 2007. I've never seen a CD of the three bands you mention, it sounds interesting.
    I've been trying to find a copy of this release for sometime now, but i guess it's out of print. I have the Space Ritual reissue that came out in the 90's that had the Greasy Trucker's version of Born To Go as a bonus track, I always thought that sounded really impressive. Have always wanted to hear the rest of their set.

Mount Ephraim Gardens? Yep, that was some gig. Also my first exposure to the Manband and yes they were a total revelation.....true guitar heaven. Colosseum were excellent as Well and the whole thing peaked for me with Gong jamming on Masterbuilder as the summer sun sank down....

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I picked up the Esoteric release of Back Into the Future, and an old BGO release of Rhinos, Winos, & Lunatics because of this thread. At this point, I am much more interested in them as a jam band than as songsmiths. Those long live tracks are pretty epic, with lots of tasty playing.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.