Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh band MAN anyone?

Welsh band MAN anyone?

Have been listening to Man recently,and wondering which albums i should check out? Any suggestions?Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Have been listening to Man recently,and wondering which albums i should check out? Any suggestions?Thanks in advance!
    All the one's with John Weathers...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I'm a big fan of Man.

My favorites are:

Do You Like it Here Now, Are You Settling In?
    Be Good to Yourself at Least Once a Day
    2 Ozs of Plastic With a Hole in the Middle
    s/t
    Rhinos, Winos & Lunatics
    Live at Padget Rooms, Penarth (Esoteric version)

Can't really recommend Revelation

I dig:

2 Ozs. Of Plastic With A Hole In The Middle
    s/t
    Do You Like It Here Now, Are You Settling In?
    Live At The Padget Rooms, Penarth
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

Rhinos Winos etc FTW
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

I too am not fussed on 'Revelation'. It doesn't have any opportunity for them to stretch out musically- their trademark really- and I think it's dated badly. The 1972-4 albums are the golden age of the band. In particular the live 'C'Mon' on 'Back Into The Future' is breathtaking, it should have made them absolute superstars. Two of them didn't even feature their most famous member Deke Leonard. He returned for 'Rhinos Winos And Lunatics' which I think is their best studio album overall. The 2nd side is pure nirvana with those terrific intro/outro bridging sections and lots of blazing solos with strong songwriting to boot.

I've only heard bits and pieces after 'Slow Motion'. That album is a step-down for me, I've never been able to pin down exactly why that is. It's slicker, I suppose- I like my share of polished AOR (and I think that emerging market was what they had in mind here), but when you know a band is capable of more, not so much. Some decent songs like 'Hard Way To Die' though.

I personally think that 2-cd anthology 'Keep On Crinting' was a superb introduction. Not sure if it's still available, but it had a few unreleased gems on it- the live version of 'Prelude/The Storm' is amazing. So I'd say that's a good place to start, and if you like that and move onto the albums, it has a few things unavailable elsewhere to make it still worth owning. I also have to say how good it is that Esoteric have done almost the entire catalogue. Their stuff was spread out across different labels before that.
    Last edited by JJ88; 08-08-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    All the one's with John Weathers...
    He only joined them in the 80s, I think? Like Caravan they were only sporadically active in that decade. I remember hearing a few of the later albums from a library. 'Call Down The Moon' wasn't bad, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Can't really recommend Revelation

I dig:

2 Ozs. Of Plastic With A Hole In The Middle
    s/t
    Do You Like It Here Now, Are You Settling In?
    Live At The Padget Rooms, Penarth
    Like all these, plus Revelation and Back into the Future.

But the REALLY important Man item to have is Deke Leonard's BOOK, "Rhinos Winos and Lunatics. Best, and funniest, rock book ever written. And it matters not one bit if you like Man or not!

I would also recommend searching out the 2 CD compilation "Keep On Crinting", it's an excellent overview.

The Deke Leonard book is indeed a wonderful rock autobiography, totally self deprecating and an amusing read start to finish.

Depends on what you're after. For utterly bonkers acid-rock, I'd take 2 Ozs of Plastic With a Whole In the Middle - if only for the awesome "Prelude/The Storm", "Parchment and Candles" and "Brother Arnold's Red and White-Striped Tent" (or wottuhell'suzname), Prime, guitar-driven UK post-psychedelic frenzy with US west coast imprints all over it (Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moby Grape, Steve Miller Band, Kak, Blue Cheer).

My personal faves are the somewhat more "progressive" ones, though; Do You Like It Here Now? Are You Settling In?, which is their most varied record. Be Good to Yourself At Least Once a Day is excellent as well (albeit not so densely arranged), and I've always enjoyed the cleaner strokes of Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics and The Welsh Connection. Their Incredible jamming ability is probably best displayed on the live/studio double Back Into the Future, though.

At their finest, Man exorted some amazing chemistry. And they could be greatly refined as well;

And BTW, they belong in the main forum. If ELO, Thin Lizzy and Tears for Fears go there, so should definitely Man.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Some MAN-related offshoots worth investigating:

Clive John-You always know where you stand with a Buzzard
    Alcatraz-Doing a Moonlight
    Quicksand-Home is where I belong
    Eyes of Blue-both albums
    Wild Turkey-both albums

can't recommend either of Deke Leonard's solo LPs

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Quicksand-Home is where I belong
    This one is a bonafide mofo. Unlawfully underrated stuff!

Just the very *VIBE* of the title track...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Man - a band I've heard of for years but never listened to, at least wittingly & knew it.

Norge SS - you'll be pleased to know that as a result of you posting the Welsh Connection clip, I just spent some money.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^ Hah! Good for you, man. It's quite the sweets...

BTW, that thing in the background of the cover pic on Quicksand's Home Is Where I Belong is a manual cranelift - supposed to indicate a certain whereabout which most folks probably wouldn't be aware of; Quicksand hailed from the industrial town of Port Talbot in Wales, a place in which one in three workers gained their income from the local steelplant back in the day. The lyrics to some of the songs actually attain a quite interesting perspective given this fact, as the band itself was apparently formed around youngsters with some kind of connection to the factory complex and this to some extent is reflected. I believe one of the guys in the band (a guitarist, IIRC) was 15 years old on recording the album.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.

I have one record, "Call Down the Moon" which I got as a result of John Weathers'involvement. Didn't like it much. Sort of basic meat-and-potatoes rock. Is this representative of the rest of their oeuvre?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Is this representative of the rest of their oeuvre?

No. They were the most energetic UK band besides Family, but very different. Their bizarre, rotating (but apparently fabulous) "lollapalooza" tour of the Benelux and Switzerland in '75 with Gong, Henry Cow, Magma, Hawkwind and the Edgar Broughton Band [sic!] tells us all we need to know about how much we DON't understand about 70s "progressive" rock culture of that age, I think.

And I know It's already been posted, but I got to hear it separately; Michael Jones' finishing guitar solo (from 4:00 on) is one of my fave of all time. Gawd, that dude had a lyrical heart for tone! The guy could've played forever and I would've loved it!

I remember owning their first few albums in the 90's (the Repertoire reissues), and liking it somewhat well enough, but they never bowled me over.

I had owned the Cipollina album in the late 70's (QMS oblige, of course), but even that didn't click so much

However, I did see them at the very first Canterbury Sounds festival (with Gong, Arthur Brown, Caravan Colosseum etc... at Ephraim Bardens) in the early 00's and they were frigging great (probably the most energetic of all those bands that day). I kind of wished I'd recognized more of the stuff they played, though

But I never reinvestigated them since.

Hopefully it will click with this thread.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I have one record, "Call Down the Moon" which I got as a result of John Weathers'involvement. Didn't like it much. Sort of basic meat-and-potatoes rock. Is this representative of the rest of their oeuvre?
    absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I love Phil Ryan's keyboards. Generally I dont think of them as a 'keyboard band' (more a guitar one, I think) so in some ways, that 1972-3 period is an anomaly, but his playing on those two albums is exceptional.
    I prefer Clive John's keyboards(on the first 6 albums, including "be good to yourself" where he shared keyboard duties w/Ryan - he did the same in an early version of the Neutrons). I do like Ryan in Pete Brown's Piblokto. In Deke Leonard's book, Micky Jones said he almost quit after Back Into the Future because he "didn't like being the guitar player in the Phil Ryan Band".

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I prefer Clive John's keyboards ... I do like Ryan in Pete Brown's Piblokto.
    Agreed on both points.
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

Greasy Truckers...!

Back Into The Future is overall exceptionally good. The box set in recent years is a worthwhile purchase. On B.I.T.F. they sound more like a Space Rock band . Greasy Truckers is a good performance. I have the other Greasy Truckers Party on cd which features Gong, Camel, and Henry Cow. Probably a bootleg. I don't believe it was ever officially released on cd, but I wish Man's set could have been included as all 4 bands combined would make the ultimate Greasy Truckers.

^ I have a triple CD set of Greasy Truckers with Man, Brinsley Shwarz and Hawkwind, released in 2007. I've never seen a CD of the three bands you mention, it sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you search the internet for Greasy Truckers Party at Dingwalls Dance Hall you'll see that it used to an LP . Actually both Greasy Truckers were released on LP in the 70's.