Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression magazine help

Progression magazine help

There have been many discussions in the past regarding this magazine and the problems subscribers have encountered.
    I was a long time subscriber then did not renew for a couple of years. I recently sent in a check for a new subscription along with
    a back issue. My check was cashed, but have not received anything. E-mails go unanswered.
    I was wondering when any current subscribers received their last issue or when the new one was coming out.
    I realize they come only 4 times a year, I just didn't know where I stood in the cycle at this time of the year.
    Thanks

I had same issues,
    I gave up years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by the illusionist View Post
    I realize they come only 4 times a year
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I,personally, never had a problem with them. If I did have a question, I called John & had it answered right away. John is good people!

yes, John is FAR more responsive if you pick up the phone; he's very helpful. He can indeed be spotty with email correspondence.

There's simply too much of a horribly consistent pattern with this magazine. Has there ever been a thread on PE about this magazine where people did NOT complain about problems receiving it? With not receiving their magazine and the poor customer service they were given with a lack of response from the owner, I can't imagine how people still send money for this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    yes, John is FAR more responsive if you pick up the phone; he's very helpful. He can indeed be spotty with email correspondence.
    Same here - long time subscriber. Calling is much better. I don't think the OP has missed anything, but call John and have him check.

I've been fortunate that I've received my magazines generally on time. Once I had a question about a resubscription being late in starting, called John, and problem resolved. I do miss getting a free CD with each issue; not every music magazine can be MOJO.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

In the past, I must say I always received my magazines in a timely manner.
    Maybe it's just the new subscribers that run into trouble. I am just wondering
    after almost 6 weeks, I still haven't even received the back issue yet.
    Wouldn't you just go to the back issue closet, grab the one ordered, and mail it?

I last re-uped with John last year at the Yestival. Since then, I've received only one issue. The William Shatner issue. You have to understand that John is a one man magazine in many ways. The magazine will come. It will always be late. It may be frustrating at times, but at the end of the day, it's still worth it.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman12388 View Post
    I last re-uped with John last year at the Yestival. Since then, I've received only one issue. The William Shatner issue. You have to understand that John is a one man magazine in many ways. The magazine will come. It will always be late. It may be frustrating at times, but at the end of the day, it's still worth it.
    I agree. Would I like more of them? Sure, but I've never really had a complaint about the content of the mag so I'm ok with waiting a few extra months or only getting two in a year. It's worth the wait, and I still have several things I need to read from two issues ago!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Prog is redundant anyway, so just be patient.

Well it has been 7 months since the last post. Looks like there still haven't been any new issues. And I was never sure if I received the last issue (Shatner). I sent 2 emails and called and left a message explaining my problem and nothing. I would even be willing to pay for the issue again. But am afraid to do so since I have no way of knowing if I will receive it. And of course I renewed last spring and nothing yet.

Bob

FWIW, I saw John at the gig in Arlington, MA we did in January and he was finalizing the new issue at that time with plans to go to press shortly. I have not received that new issue yet either, and am waiting for it. I did get the Shatner issue a while back.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    FWIW, I saw John at the gig in Arlington, MA we did in January and he was finalizing the new issue at that time with plans to go to press shortly. I have not received that new issue yet either, and am waiting for it. I did get the Shatner issue a while back.
    What legitimate excuse does this guy have for not publishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    He's still celebrating Deflate Bowl.

I have no answer for this, I was just reporting what I knew.

I don't know what is at the root of the delays, but I do know John is not happy about it and has tried/is trying some things to make it better (in January he mentioned working with someone new to help with the administrative aspects so he can focus on the journalism). I know that will fall on largely deaf ears for those who have had bad experiences, and I can understand how folks feel. It's up to John to address the issues and show some consistency, and if he can't then it's logical that many will lose interest.

Personally, I don't really care that much. A subscription is ~$25 or whatever, and I feel happy when I get one and enjoy it. It doesn't have to be that consistent for me. But others are in their rights to feel differently. I hope he turns it around. I think the magazines, vendor sites, festivals, and sites like this one are the foundations of our little Proggy world. They all contribute in their own way, and have their own followers, so it would be sad to lose (yet another) one.

But I think John has taken on a big task that may be too much for one person to deliver at the level to which the magazine has evolved. We'll see.

Bill

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ^^ Great post!

I think a subscriber (at least a renewing one) has to go into the investment knowing there may be delays, there may be a lack of responses to communications, and you'll wonder if that's it for the magazine and you've wasted your money. And ... you'll eventually receive a first class highly readable magazine that is strictly about our wonderful world of Prog!

I once had a subscription (back in the nineties) and renewed a couple times. Great magazine! Even back then though, there were consistency and communication problems. In fact once, after a couple attempts to contact John to renew, I ended up penning and faxing a limerick! That got his attention ... and a renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    ^^ Great post!

I think a subscriber (at least a renewing one) has to go into the investment knowing there may be delays, there may be a lack of responses to communications, and you'll wonder if that's it for the magazine and you've wasted your money. And ... you'll eventually receive a first class highly readable magazine that is strictly about our wonderful world of Prog!

I once had a subscription (back in the nineties) and renewed a couple times. Great magazine! Even back then though, there were consistency and communication problems. In fact once, after a couple attempts to contact John to renew, I ended up penning and faxing a limerick! That got his attention ... and a renewal.
    It's still not a good way to do business, and yes, Progression is a business. John gets money from paid subscribers and, regardless if it is a profit-making business (which it probably isn't), he still has paid subscribers to answer to. And, all it really would take would be an update on his website or even a post here. I would think a bulk of his subscribers are here and it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to provide timely updates on the progress of each issue. At least that would be something.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I can't argue with any of your well made points paythesnuka. My post was from a subscriber's perspective. I hadn't considered the advertiser's pov.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I would think a bulk of his subscribers are here and it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to provide timely updates on the progress of each issue. At least that would be something.
    There might possibly be no valid excuse.

For those who are happy with this service: send me $24.99 per year and I will gladly not send you anything in return.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    ....he still has paid subscribers to answer to. And, all it really would take would be an update on his website or even a post here. I would think a bulk of his subscribers are here and it wouldn't take more than a minute or two to provide timely updates on the progress of each issue. At least that would be something.
    Yup. Appearance wise it makes some people think this guy doesnt really care. He will pop up here now and again with another excuse or reason for the delays and a promise to fix it and then a few months later another thead pops up "Wheres John / Progression." I subscribed years ago but stopped that after a 1 year subscription for 4 mags took over two years to complete. After that I used to catch up buying any missed issues at Neafest but that option doesnt exist now and I havent seen a new issue in years. It is a shame because they were very well written and informative.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The same reasons Expose was published on an irregular basis. Although Progression looks like a "big time" publication (sort of) it's basically just a 'zine as it has been since the early 90s when it was a 12-page newsletter. Anyone who's expecting them to publish on a regular schedule like PROG magazine does should probably not resubscribe.

I wonder if Progression will ever consider joining forces with PROG.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I wonder if Progression will ever consider joining forces with PROG.
    What does Prog get out of that deal?