Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Progression magazine help

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Why not just turn Progression into a blog? Then whenever he gets something ready just put it up. The notion of trying to still do it in print in 2015 is baffling. People get content when he has it and the overhead goes way down. John has an audience so I don't see why it wouldn't work...
    How do you make money off of a blog?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    How does he make money off his magazine under the current conditions? You make money blogging the same way, ads. Banners, pop-ups, blah blah blah.

Why not just turn Progression into a blog? Then whenever he gets something ready just put it up.
    I'm going to hazard a guess that even fewer people are going to spend $25 a year on the foolish hope that they'll be given access to an irregularly published blog post.

Good point - it's tougher to fleece people with a blog.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

How does he make money off his magazine under the current conditions? You make money blogging the same way, ads. Banners, pop-ups, blah blah blah.
    Seems pretty easy when people pay you for a product that doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    I'm going to hazard a guess that even fewer people are going to spend $25 a year on the foolish hope that they'll be given access to an irregularly published blog post.
    That's just it; no one would have to pay anything. Just deal with some dumb pop-up ads. Or he can just eat it; all you have to do is cover a server fund which has gotta be less than a 4 color print run of mags.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    But it shouldn't be that difficult.
    I'm much more annoyed with how hard it is to speak to someone at a company like Verizon or Con Ed than I am with this.

Truly, anyone this dissatisfied with Progression who renews is an idiot. Just don't, and then stop complaining.

It's worth the price to me - I just don't even think about it until it arrives. It's what, $25 every two or three years?

It's amusing to read the excuses made here. Some will balk at certain shipping costs for a product, yet, are fine with possibly never receiving something that they paid $25 for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It's amusing to read the excuses made here. Some will balk at certain shipping costs for a product, yet, are fine with possibly never receiving something that they paid $25 for.
    I've never not received an issue. I'm obviously not making excuses when I'm saying it's a fanzine that's been in print for 25 years and never had a higher level of service, so people who expect something different should steer clear.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-20-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Damn, Joe. That sucks.

More of a pastime than a plan.
    D4!! Great to hear from you. Dropforge, one of the first guys I met on an old Saga forum and has introduced me to some of the greatest progressive
    music ever. Can you believe I just turned 63!! Holeee shit

Is that the point, or just to cover costs?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Is that the point, or just to cover costs?
    If it's a business model, it is to make money.

If the model for the magazine was to make money, I'd have to ask "How's that working out?"

If the model for the magazine was to make money, I'd have to ask "How's that working out?"
    He has to be making some money, or why bother with what seems to be a constant headache for well over a decade. "Labor of love" doesn't seem to qualify anymore

I used to subscribe, and did so for a number of years. I always enjoyed reading the magazine. I stopped subscribing because of the same issue everyone has discussed. I dont think it was ever on time (not an exaggeration), and just got tired of it happening over and over again.

I don't think the magazine has any stated publication schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't think the magazine has any stated publication schedule.
    On the magazine cover it states "The Quarterly Journal of Progressive Music" (or at least when I subscribed, I am looking at one labeled Fall/Winter 1999-2000). So, I guess it depends on how you define quarterly, but to me I would expect to receive 4 magazines in a year, and that never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    On the magazine cover it states "The Quarterly Journal of Progressive Music" (or at least when I subscribed, I am looking at one labeled Fall/Winter 1999-2000). So, I guess it depends on how you define quarterly, but to me I would expect to receive 4 magazines in a year, and that never happened.
    I thought it was widely known that it was quarterly.

http://www.progressionmag.com/?page_id=2

Progression is a full-size quarterly magazine devoted to news, reviews, interviews and features covering a wide range of progressive music artists from around the globe.

At one point I think he stated a subscription was for four issues but that could be over any period of time. But you're right, he shouldn't be calling it a quarterly.

Usually John pops up by now in these 'Down With Progression' threads promising corrections. He must still be celebrating deflategate ...I mean the super bowl handed to them by the Coach Carrol.

I've enjoyed the magazine, and my subscriptions always arrived, and that was enough for me, regardless of the frequency of publication. I don't even know if/how many issues I am owed from the last subscription, but if I never get another, that's the way it goes.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I've enjoyed the magazine, and my subscriptions always arrived, and that was enough for me, regardless of the frequency of publication. I don't even know if/how many issues I am owed from the last subscription, but if I never get another, that's the way it goes.

neil
    I just don't understand this attitude. To each his own, I guess...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's easy to understand. There are far more important things is life.

neil

Cool. Send me $25 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Cool. Send me $25 then.
    I offer better non-service at $24.99 -- for that, I can ignore you quarterly. I also have yearly subscriptions where I will make sure to ignore you each month.