Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needlepoint: Outside the Screen - Norwegian jazzfusionprog at its best

Needlepoint: Outside the Screen - Norwegian jazzfusionprog at its best

Everyone smokes - and btw the bassplayer is from Elephant9

The reference to Wayside as US distributor is a bit premature, but sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The reference to Wayside as US distributor is a bit premature, but sooner or later.
    WORKING on it, but not here yet....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Interview with the drummer Thomas Strønen: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/thomas-s...1#.U-OG2KMucxI

Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

You can hear more tracks on the guitarist homepage http://bjornklakegg.com/ - from this and other albums

Yet another track on the tube

They are in studio in September recording a new album.

One of the finest bands in Norway at this point, although they're obviously referred to categorically as "jazz" - period. A new album means new concerts too, so that's always welcome either way.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

New album 'In the sea' coming up in a couple of weeks, as both CD and Vinyl.

Great news. I've been following Needlepoint with great interest.

New album 'In the sea' coming up in a couple of weeks, as both CD and Vinyl.
    'In the sea' was just a working title, it will be 'The Diary of Robert Reverie' and a couple of weeks means march/april.

^ Terrific news. Still playing their previous records quite frequently here.

Now where's that new Hooffoot? I'd love to see them on a double bill with Needlepoint.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Autobuy of the highest caliber!!!

I can listen to the new album tomorrow. Although this is their fourth album they are new for me, so I'm looking forward to it, especially because there are some links with Hooffoot in this thread.
    From their members I have a couple of albums on which David Wallumrød is playing (Beady Belle, Beate S. Lech).
    https://nl-nl.facebook.com/needlepoint.official/

Needlepoint.jpg

Looking forward to getting this. I thoroughly enjoyed all of their previous three albums, though "Aimless Mary" is my favorite so far.

I've listened to The Diary Of Robert Reverie a couple of times now and I'm very pleased with it. Somewhere between Canterbury and Floyd (vocal wise), while there are some Mahavishnu-like guitar-solo's too. Wallumrød has a fine keyboard-set-up, including Hammond, Rhodes, Prophet 5, ARP Pro Solist, Clavinet and Juno 60. Here and there you hear a fine fuzz-bass © Hugh Hopper.

Review of The Diary of Robert Reverie
    https://rockaffairs.org/2018/04/30/n...obert-reverie/

Kind of translation:

All sorts of connotations are passing our ear, when it comes to influences and comparisons. Robert Wyatt, the old Pink Floyd (Syd Barret-aera), Matching Mole, Gentle Giant, Camel, Caravan… Especiallythe two first mentioned linger in the comparisonmachine. With Needlepoint’s fourth album, whichsucceeds ”Outside the Screen”, a brilliantmasterpiece has been created. It is so reminiscent ofthe 1970s it totally knocked me off my feet. It combines a dreamy kind of jazz-rock and a pop-like”renaissance-rock”. Guitarist Bjoern Klagegg, whowrote all tracks, has worked himself to the bone and the result is impressive.

”The Diary of Robert Reverie” is light on it’s feet, playful, and filled with enthusiasm, and all this in an old-school manner. We have Olaf Olsen onpercussion and David Wallumrod on keyboards. Bass player Nikolai Haengsle (also responsable for production) turns every bass line into a melodyreminiscent of Soft Machine.

Most of the material relates of Robert, a dreamybloke conceived in the brain of Bjoern Klagegg. Inspired by his surroundings and the often peculiarpeople living there, Robert sketches his story and lets us observe and most of all listen. And listen youreally should! By the way, the cover was designed by Rune Klagegg, Bjoern’s elder brother. The album will be released on May 25th.

It is so reminiscent of the 1970s it totally knocked me off my feet. It combines a dreamy kind of jazz-rock and a pop-like”renaissance-rock”.
    While obviously true, that reminiscence tends to work on a different level from pure "imitation". Klakegg was quite young but still lived through that era with an active music interest, alas he's not actually grasping for the unknown in a "retro" manner. More than anything, Needlepoint remind me of Wigwam at their most progressively creative, i.e. the phase of Fairyport vs. Being. It's that same breezy and dreamy yet edgy kind of intricate aura.

Such a great thing to have this band around!

Is this on bandcamp or somewhere I can sample it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Is this on bandcamp or somewhere I can sample it?
    It is but not yet public. You can hear one track (the title track) on spotify.

thanks. I am listening now to Aimless Mary for the first time. This is really, really good. Nice that there are still bands that don't fall into the convenient ways of the retro.

Where on Spotify, tried to search it not coming up, just some bullshit music. Direct me please if you care to.

I'm not on spotify myself but this should be the link (google):

https://open.spotify.com/album/4MacbDCfbYHm3nXqmyyFnT

You can listen to the first two tracks when you select the second hour of Xymphonia: http://aafm.nl/programmas/xymphonia/ (21:00). The songs are at the end of the program.