Thread: Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Pulled this one out for a listen for the first time in a long time. Still one of the all time great live album IMO. The band were on fire and I think it still holds up pretty well today 40 years later.

And there's no overdubs (unlike some live albums) or even tracks comped from multiple performances. I remember when Live In Japan (the three CD set with most of the stuff from the three nights in Tokyo and Osaka that didn't make it onto Made In Japan) came out around the 20th anniversary of Made In Japan, there was a comment in the liner notes that there had been rumors of Gillan overdubbing some of the vocals, but they could find no evidence of such post-production on the multitracks.

Excellent album. If I had to pick one from DP, this is it. Heard it mostly in the 80s and a few times since then.

I heard this a million times (on cassette tape) way back in the '80s while first learning guitar. Then somehow I just moved on to other things. I picked up a remastered copy on CD about 2 years ago, but only listened once. I need to spin it again.
    <sig out of order>

Smoke on the Water had just come out and I loved it...my cousin came through and bought me this for my 12th bday. I spun that vinyl over and over day after day. A few months later the California Jam made it's way to tv and I watched to see Deep Purple but left a Black Sabbath fan. Funny, after I got into Black Sabbath, I just totally lost interest in Deep Purple and I never bought another DP album. Though when Blackmore reformed as Rainbow I did buy the live album and got a lot of good listening out of that
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Smoke on the Water had just come out and I loved it...my cousin came through and bought me this for my 12th bday. I spun that vinyl over and over day after day. A few months later the California Jam made it's way to tv and I watched to see Deep Purple but left a Black Sabbath fan. Funny, after I got into Black Sabbath, I just totally lost interest in Deep Purple and I never bought another DP album. Though when Blackmore reformed as Rainbow I did buy the live album and got a lot of good listening out of that
    "Rainbow On Stage" is another stellar live one. Ronnie James Dio's vocal performance is just stunning. "Catch The Rainbow" still sends chills up my spine when I listen to it. The band were all a the top of their game as well.

Ian Paice snare work on the Mule is immense.It might still be a very "rock" solo coming from obvious big band influence, but there were few drummers at the time that could compete with that sort of snare finesse\articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Ian Paice snare work on the Mule is immense.It might still be a very "rock" solo coming from obvious big band influence, but there were few drummers at the time that could compete with that sort of snare finesse\articulation.
    He also wickedly pounds that bass drum towards the end so fast that it sounds like he's playing a double.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    One of the greatest live albums of all time
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This....

Looks like I lost my job at the wrong time. I wanted the deluxe album set and Amazon has none left so I would figure there aren't many out there and the price is probably astronomical. Oh well. I will get the deluxe package that's left sometime here relatively soon when I can put the cash together.

Ian Paice doesn't show up very well on studio records but on Purple live recordings from BITD he's a beast. To boot, he does it on a minimalist drum kit. No fancy bells and whistles. Underrated he is IMO, not unlike the band.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    One of the greatest live albums of all time
    Absolutely. They were a ferocious band at the time, with a sense of danger that still comes across.

I found an old CD (original pressing) of MIJ years ago. I was kind of on a DP kick at the time, and reading so many gushing reviews over the years I felt I needed it in my collection. I've never been a huge fan of live albums to begin with, but I try to get at least one live album by all my favorite bands. But over the decades I've read/heard nothing but gushing praise about this album, and so many others that I feel I need to have them in my collection. It's been a few years since I've played MIJ but honestly, I just don't think it's anything to go goo goo ga ga over. I felt the same way about "Live And Dangerous" by Thin Lizzy. I guess it's just me. It's not that the albums are bad or anything, I just don't think they're anything special. I prefer the studio albums, that's all. Really, right now I can only think of two live albums that I really love and think they're as good as any studio output by either band: Band Of Gypsys and Two For The Show (the 2 disk remaster).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I found an old CD (original pressing) of MIJ years ago. I was kind of on a DP kick at the time, and reading so many gushing reviews over the years I felt I needed it in my collection. I've never been a huge fan of live albums to begin with, but I try to get at least one live album by all my favorite bands. But over the decades I've read/heard nothing but gushing praise about this album, and so many others that I feel I need to have them in my collection. It's been a few years since I've played MIJ but honestly, I just don't think it's anything to go goo goo ga ga over. I felt the same way about "Live And Dangerous" by Thin Lizzy. I guess it's just me. It's not that the albums are bad or anything, I just don't think they're anything special. I prefer the studio albums, that's all. Really, right now I can only think of two live albums that I really love and think they're as good as any studio output by either band: Band Of Gypsys and Two For The Show (the 2 disk remaster).
    Live and Dangerous IS a studio album

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Live and Dangerous IS a studio album
    Mostly. Visconti claims the only thing that wasn't overdubbed was the drums. I think Peter Criss said once that the one you can't fix on a live album is the drums, because then you start having trouble with synching up with the rest of the band. Unless, I imagine, your name is Neil Peart, then I imagine that degree of precision is possible. Hmmm, I wonder if Rush overdubbed the drums (or any of the other instruments) on any of their live albums.

Perhaps the best rock live album ever
    The vibe is just amazing the audience is just as "on fire" as the band

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Absolutely. They were a ferocious band at the time, with a sense of danger that still comes across.
    + 1

This album STILL gets regular spins at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if Rush overdubbed the drums (or any of the other instruments) on any of their live albums.
    All The World's A Stage is heavily dubbed, but still rocks. Exit Stage Left had fixes too, I believe, and unfortunately sounds like it. After that, I'm not sure. Their live sound and precision from the mid '80s on were so great that they probably didn't have to do anything but pick the best performances of a given song.

As for Made In Japan, it's one of those albums that's so fundamental for me, that it's hard to honestly evaluate it anymore.

He's still got it. Like I said in the other thread, he doesn't become the guy you want to emulate ala Peart but he's so damned good you just don't realize it at times. He is great at doing what need to be done, playing when he needs to but he never got into the whole kitchen sink theory of writing a drum track. Which works, well, for this band. They have killer guitar and organ and since they never were the definition of a prog band it's just not needed. I think he gets overlooked in the best drummers argument because of exactly this.

Very, very few drum solos I like. His are among them.

I love his playing on 'Smoke On The Water'. The studio version of that and 'The Mule' have some of his best playing IMHO.

I'm more of a Paice than Peart man when it comes to drummers.

Paice is fantastic. I've always loved his playing. I wonder why you don't hear more drummers who've worked to emulate his snare work?
    <sig out of order>

I love the "sound" of this live album. It puts me in 5th row center, with the best version of Highway Star ever recorded.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone