Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: How to Fix the Music Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    You Tube is like the industry throwing a bone to society in order to make themselves feel special. Everybody's a Star becaomes a circus within itself. It's one thing to treat the audience with kindness, but generations of people want to feel special in today's world by posting a vid on Y.T. to display little or no real talent.
    ...true, but that has nothing at all to do with bands gaining exposure and appealing directly to potential customers with Youtube. You earlier were talking about more promotion being a solution. Promotion is simply another way of letting a potential fan know that you exist. Youtube can do that. Whatever else one doesn't like that also happens to be on Youtube isn't really relevant.

There are promoters out there who have a personal interest in Prog , but won't invest in it. You could change that by gathering promoters together and creating a master plan..just to give Prog a finer spot on the map. This way more people in the world would have appreciation for it. If there is so much exposure of Prog on the internet, why hasn't it attracted the vast amount of people it did in the 70's?
    Because not very many people like it. Why isn't '70s-inspired disco more popular? Why isn't ska revival more popular? Why aren't contemporary bands playing old-school punk rock or old-school hip-hop more popular? These genres, like prog, had their moments of popularity when they were fresh and new, but now the cross-over popularity is gone. It seems to have been a very consistent and predictable cycle in the arc of popular music since the '60s, so it's hardly surprising that it happend with prog. Frankly, it's more surprising to me that prog was ever popular as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Because not very many people like it. Why isn't '70s-inspired disco more popular? Why isn't ska revival more popular? Why aren't contemporary bands playing old-school punk rock or old-school hip-hop more popular? These genres, like prog, had their moments of popularity when they were fresh and new, but now the cross-over popularity is gone. It seems to have been a very consistent and predictable cycle in the arc of popular music since the '60s, so it's hardly surprising that it happend with prog. Frankly, it's more surprising to me that prog was ever popular as it was.

Well, there is that latest Arcade Fire album that seems to be nothing but a rehash of cocaine era disco but yeah, I see your point.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

But it shouldn't be this way unless the style of music which faded from a small portion of limelight..was in fact not worthwhile music. People in the 70's were exposed to a huge degree of instrumentation and gained respect for that through the promotion from the industry. Around the time of the late 70's when record executives complained to musicians that the music , the song..was too long. They tried endlessly to talk musicians out of writing a new epic. People in the Rock audience of the 70's waited for a guitar solo. That seemed to vanish by 1980. People in general seemed more interested in your musicianship than being sarcastic and questioning if you were suppose to be a "Rock Star". That all ended. People were interested in music then and they will be now, however everything feels so compartmentalized as if we are a cult following that hangs by a thread ..when originally the power of our music was overwhelming to masses. That was just the industry's decision and not the musician's and a great many people who know nothing about Prog and are too lazy and don't care would love the sound of it..just as they did in the 70's. It makes no difference what you are marketing. Progressive Rock has a timeless aspect to it. It's more educational and changes how people feel about music. It is foolish not to gamble and invest in such a grand music appreciation concept.

...true, but that has nothing at all to do with bands gaining exposure and appealing directly to potential customers with Youtube. You earlier were talking about more promotion being a solution. Promotion is simply another way of letting a potential fan know that you exist. Youtube can do that. Whatever else one doesn't like that also happens to be on Youtube isn't really relevant.
    I understand your point, but it doesn't have the moving power of the industry itself. Artists have received important breaks in their careers through Y.T. ..for example Chris Squire hiring a vocalist he saw on Y.T. It's quite overloaded with artists and the independent artist world. I've crossed paths with some amazing Avant Garde composers, Electronic artists, and Prog musicians through Y.T. It seems difficult for them to survive. They should be making more money when they tour. Something is very wrong here. I remember when the record company used to front all expenses to be had and the musician was able to survive. What do you do when you have a Prog fest and not enough tickets are sold? You cancel the event right? Nothing is being done right. There is a concept to business called "practices" and this makes no sense at all when a Prog event is advertised on Y.T., through the publications industry ..to a degree, websites and some announcements on underground radio college stations, and not enough tickets were sold?

They should be making more money when they tour. Something is very wrong here. I remember when the record company used to front all expenses to be had and the musician was able to survive. What do you do when you have a Prog fest and not enough tickets are sold? You cancel the event right? Nothing is being done right.
    All that happened back when record sales supported the record companies.

T'ain't true anymore. Can't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    All that happened back when record sales supported the record companies.

T'ain't true anymore. Can't go back.
    Yes. The OP might be overestimating the power of record labels to promote these days. It's really not the same world out there. Also I don't know why progressive rock would be more worthwhile than any other music that had its day in the spotlight and now has faded. I would expect that fans of any genre think that their music is worthwhile. There's also plenty of music that makes plenty of money that I (and probably many others in here) *don't* consider to be worthwhile, so I'm definitely not of the "good music will find an audience" camp. There's plenty of music I think is good that has a very small audience, but I realistic about why this is: it's music that doesn't have much commerical potential to begin with.

But to the specific issue at hand: I'm not doubting the efficacy of throwing a ton of money at a book or CD in terms of promoting it, but that money is in more limited supply than ever and it gets spent in the ways mostly likely to generate returns for the people spending it. There are progressive-centric labels and they no doubt do what they can with the money at their disposal, but they still cater to a niche market of buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Most blues purists would scoff at the inclusion of jazz chord progressions and phrasing, while still calling it "blues".
    Blues purists should also shun any electric instruments too...I dont recall Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly, etc using Fender tweed amplifiers, b3 players, or electric bass players

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Blues purists should also shun any electric instruments too...I dont recall Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly, etc using Fender tweed amplifiers, b3 players, or electric bass players
    Yeah, and what's with this fancy newfangled 'tape machine' contraption? Everyone knows the wax cylinder is where it's at, man.

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Yeah, and what's with this fancy newfangled 'tape machine' contraption? Everyone knows the wax cylinder is where it's at, man.
    <---I'm not a purist I personally like my blues to not be a shuffle or slow 12/8 all the time ( I prefer it funky anyway)...and I also think there is way more to blues life than I -IV - V ad nauseum progressions song after song after song

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I don't really get what the hell she's talking about.

When even Usher has to sell what is left of his soul to not one, but two major corporations in order to get noticed you know it's getting bad out there.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...eerios-walmart
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When even Usher has to sell what is left of his soul to not one, but two major corporations in order to get noticed you know it's getting bad out there.
    Supply and demand.

There is more music, dare I say 'more GREAT music' available now than ever before, the entire history of recorded music on CD not to mention zillions of very talented young artists willing to work cheap. Makes it hard for anybody to stand out and get noticed.

It's all about monetizing what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't really get what the hell she's talking about.
    You read the article, right? It's clear, Spotify is working for her.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!