Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELP Live Albums....

Live In Montreal '77 has a decent sounding Pirates + orchestra...not nearly as bad sounding as the bad Amazon reviews suggest, and again, Lake's highly scooped out bass tone is his choice. (you hear much that same tone on the 1978 Nassau Coliseum release)

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Ed Macan has a quote about this from ELP live sound staff in his big tome on ELP. Apparently Lake wanted the toppiest bass sound he could get, to the point where it barely sounded like a bass at times.
    See, that's the thing I don't understand. Why would you want a bass tone like that?! I can understand wanting a lot of top end or mids, so that you can be heard clearly, but why would want all top and no bottom?! And you're right, it doesn't sound like a bass guitar, it sounds more like a tuned bed spring or something.

Maybe he thought having a proper bass tone would clash with the orchestra or something. Who knows. (shrug)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    See, that's the thing I don't understand. Why would you want a bass tone like that?! I can understand wanting a lot of top end or mids, so that you can be heard clearly, but why would want all top and no bottom?! And you're right, it doesn't sound like a bass guitar, it sounds more like a tuned bed spring or something.

Maybe he thought having a proper bass tone would clash with the orchestra or something. Who knows. (shrug)
    Couldn't agree more and with Emerson's GX1 which doesn't have the gutsiness of a C3 a I found this period of ELP to be very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Live In Montreal '77 has a decent sounding Pirates + orchestra...not nearly as bad sounding as the bad Amazon reviews suggest, and again, Lake's highly scooped out bass tone is his choice. (you hear much that same tone on the 1978 Nassau Coliseum release)
    That's interesting as that review was the reason I didn't buy it. Would like to hear others thoughts on the sound quality!

I thought this was a good recording of the '77 tour with the orchestra
    http://www.whoohoolive.com/artist-ar...-second-night/

Montreal '77 - I have tolerance for lots of horrible sound so this is very good in my opinion. Sounds a bit bottled up - compressed? A bit distant too. Anyway - sound is pretty solid once you get used to it. Performance is decent.

Mar Y Sol is my favorite. Sound and performance is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Montreal '77 - I have tolerance for lots of horrible sound so this is very good in my opinion. Sounds a bit bottled up - compressed? A bit distant too. Anyway - sound is pretty solid once you get used to it.
    I dunno, I find it pretty mediocre for an "official" release sound wise- definitely not as good as Live in California 1974, Welcome Back, Works Live or the King Biscuit releases

Why not just stream a listen on "Spotify" if you are curious?

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 08-12-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."