Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any recommandations for pure electronic (synth) Prog ?

I love so many of the albums in this thread that I could pick almost every one as a favorite! I am so lucky that my work in used record shops yielded so many great albums that I often chose merely by chance. SFF, Space Art, Emerald Web (especially DW&WT), Francois Breant, Batia- all of these came in a wave. Kit Watkins, Tim Blake and Future Sound of London I sought out intentionally. Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    need to get that one!

depressing video though
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    need to get that one!

depressing video though
    I have four cds by them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I have four cds by them.
    which is best to start with?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    which is best to start with?
    Now I gotta go listen to them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    It seems to be legitimately available for free from Kit Watkin's own site - http://www.kitwatkins.com/index_intime.htm
    And quite allot more of Kit's music here (free downloads): http://relaxedmachinery.com/earthmantra/

Scott
    http://www.stillstream.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    It seems to be legitimately available for free from Kit Watkin's own site - http://www.kitwatkins.com/index_intime.htm I'd never heard this before so big thanks (and that goes for loads of stuff in this thread, too so thanks everyone).
    Hell if they're free get Labyrinth and Frames of Mind too. You won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hell if they're free get Labyrinth and Frames of Mind too. You won't be sorry.
    Sunstruck, too.

http://kitwatkins.com/pages/discog/1.../frameset.html

well... half of Frames of Mind is pretty bad Pop songs with vocals

I played a bunch of stuff along these lines a few weeks ago:

http://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/17495.html

Everything from Grunblatt through Bocquet should apply here if I'm reading the original post correctly. The Bock is Berlin-school so not what he wanted, and of course the Haack and Riley are electronic in a sense but probably also not quite what he wants.

Always get my genres mixed up but I love:

Michael Neil's Cornubia -very mellow and very beautiful!

Baffo Banfi (ex-keyboardist from Biglietto per l’inferno) has some electronic albums that might be up your street. Ma, dolce vita is a good one.

The German electronic group You have four albums. All are said to be good, but I only have Electric Day, and can vouch for it. Also from Germany is the Deutsche Wertarbeit album. I’m not bowled over by it, but it is nice, and it is novel in being one of the few synth albums created by a woman that is not Suzanne Ciani (Deutsche Wertarbeit is actually Dorothea Raukes, keyboardist from Streetmark).

If you don’t mind drums/percussion in addition to synths, Where Are We Captain? by the British duo Wavemaker is an excellent album of synth-based prog, done on their custom TONTO-like Wavemaker synth (using a EMS Synthi-100 as the base rather than a Moog III). Second album (New Atlantis) is more typical light electronic fare, and not as interesting, but still pretty good.

also the German trio Jonathan, though they too had a drummer (and, admittedly, aren’t as impressive):

The Japanese duo Dada are also worth checking out. Though both guys double on guitar, it’s essentially synth-based electronics. The second, self-titled album (of three) is the best (and has stunning cover art).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The German electronic group You have four albums. All are said to be good, but I only have Electric Day, and can vouch for it.
    I like Time Code better. Anybody who likes pre-'87 Tangerine Dream will like it.

100% synth

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I'm looking for prog music played exclusively on synths, by solo artists or bands. Looks there aren't many, but here are a few references I like: Synergy (Larry Fast), White Noise II (David Vorhaus), Roger Powell , Erdenklang, Anthony Phillips 1984 (though there are some real instruments in the latter)...
    Even if they might be considered as progressive, I'm NOT interested by the Berlin School/Cosmic/New Age style (T.Dream, K.Schulze, Jarre,...) which I already knows (and appreciate), classical adaptations (Tomita, Carlos...) or 100% atonal/experimental/improvisational stuff. What I'm really looking for is composed music in the prog style (may include some jazz/fusion moves) played on synths. What would be your best recommandations which meet my above criteria ?
    Dear Mr. Krautman, my name is Mrs. Kat. At Musearecords in France I edited mid '90s two CD's with pure electronic Roland JV 2080, Roland SE and KorgTR instruments, composed in Finale, edited in Cubase and Soundforge.
    The rest remains of course a matter of taste: on my website www.jetkat.nl you will find music, where you will find my CD's. If any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Have a splendid day, Jet

100% synths

Hello Mr. Krautman. Did you get my previous message? I heard of your request from an American friend John Cochran who is a writer for Progressive Ears. I want to send you the link to my first 2 albums that I made in France, in his opinion exacty what you are looking for. Please repy to Jet Kat

stumbled on this neat tune -- seems to fit what you're looking for and is close enough to some posted ones:
    Sound Tribe Sector 9 (STS9) - When the Dust Settles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I'm looking for prog music played exclusively on synths, by solo artists or bands.
    My 5 cents...if it's played exclusively on synths then it isn't prog. Prog is a rock format IMO using rock instrumentation. Music played only on synths, depending on the intensity and style is usually either

1. New Age
    or
    2. Electronica

Synth pop uses more than just synths, EBM and other dance music using synths also uses more that just synths.

Bitchin Bajas "Bueu" seems worth investigating

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Also from Germany is the Deutsche Wertarbeit album. I’m not bowled over by it, but it is nice, and it is novel in being one of the few synth albums created by a woman that is not Suzanne Ciani (Deutsche Wertarbeit is actually Dorothea Raukes, keyboardist from Streetmark).
    I have that one and I like it.

If you don't mind drums, how about Pythagoras?

At least one of the covers shown in the video is made by a former schoolmate of mine.

Sanguiliano - Take Off (excellent, although to my ears it does have a Vangelis take to it) and everything by Computerchemist which is uniformly brilliant except for Music for Earthquakes which is a bit too ambient AFAIC.
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 08-18-2014 at 01:35 PM.

how about Pythagoras?
    Don't know if I would call it "pure electronic" but I do like it... Ayreon fans should take note that a fairly young Arjen Lucassen appears on "After the Silence".

Orcopian
    How about Gandalf. I love his earlier stuff like visions, there are some acoustic instruments alongside synths. Later albums from source to sea onwards are more synth based. Of course he has also played and recorded with steve Hackett. The more recent stuff is a bit too new agey for me but the early 80's albums are excellent.