Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any recommandations for pure electronic (synth) Prog ?

I've got a whole pile of "new age" records that I ought to get around to cataloging. Fast's Audion label, most of Schulze's Innovative Communication releases, like Robert Schroeder, Baffo Banfi, etc, etc. I've always considered that progressive music...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Mr. Battema is too humble to promote his own music but I enjoy it a lot and suspect others here would too: http://www.battema.net/albums.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Michael Hoenig's Xcept One was amongst my favourite E-Music albums back in 1987 and I still like it very much. The 1st track is a killer but unfortunately the following tracks are not on the same level, though very good. An excellent and highly recommendable album, as well as his 1st (Departure from the Northern Wasteland) if you like mid-70ies T.D
    "Bones on the Beach" was my fave when I first picked it up in (yikes) '87. I like the whole thing.

... And I probably still have a couple of (long forgotten) Mark Shreeve and Ian Boddy LP's in my E-music collection but didn't listened them since a very long time.
    Not sure which ones of Shreeve's you have, but Legion, Crash Head and Nocturne (the last original album he did in that melodic style before he started Redshift) soundly whupped anything Geoff Downes has done.

I've got a good one.

Sons Optiques by the French keyboardist Francois Breant.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Rainbow Delta by Patrick Gleeson

Kit Watkins
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

[QUOTE=rcarlberg;287113]Mark Isham - Vapor Drawings
    -

One of my all-time favorites

I must admit I never liked Geoff Downes and exploring his solo works would be my last priorities... WHAT A MISTAKE ! I just checked the above excerpt and it's quite good, even if some sounds are dated (who really cares ?), very close to some of Synergy's (best) work. Now I'll need to dig deeper in the (solo) productions of this artist. Thank you for the recommandation.
    my pleasure. the entire album is well worth it. downes’ solo work is a bit hit-and-miss… “vox humana” (named after an organ registration, none less) is song based and heavy on guest vocalists (max bacon, john payne et al.), “evolution” is instrumental covers of classic rock tunes – both don’t really belong in this thread. “the world service” is similar to the “light program”, albeit a bit more industrial. he certainly has a distinctive style of his own which, sadly, doesn't really come across well on “heaven & earth”.

electro/synth-prog? why, THE FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON of course!

I listed the following (outstanding albums), then went back and re-read the original posting to discover these aren't what you are after....

Popol Vuh - Affenstunde
    Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
    John Michel Jarre - Oxygene
    Kraftwerk - Ralf and Florian

The only other thing I can think of that fits the bill could be Mike Oldfield's Incantations

In the late '70s and early '80s, when most electronic artists were doing their wannabe Tangerine Schulze dance, Emerald Web were diligently doing their own thang...

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    In the late '70s and early '80s, when most electronic artists were doing their wannabe Tangerine Schulze dance, Emerald Web were diligently doing their own thang...
    I actually have the Stargate Tapes playing behind me right now...

This may have slipped past unnoticed (although I doubt it!), but Finders Keepers also unleashed this interesting relic recently:

http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com...ritus-sanctus/

Good stuff that will definitely work well for Emerald Web fans.

Exchange hasn't been mentioned yet...might be too close to New Age for the original poster, but I thought it was quite good electronic prog/rock.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

You might like Schicke, Führs and Fröhling, a German Prog Trio with a keyboard oriented sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1zxKPHqos

Anta? Great synth focused heavy prog.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Kit Watkins
    Kit & Coco - In Time

I wish there were more tracks from this disc online -- this isn't the best track on the album by a long shot.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-01-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I actually have the Stargate Tapes playing behind me right now...
    That's because you're one of the good guys!

This may have slipped past unnoticed (although I doubt it!), but Finders Keepers also unleashed this interesting relic recently:

http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com...ritus-sanctus/
    That label threw me for a loop when they reissued DW&WT on vinyl. It's really cool to see a label dedicated to such off-the-beaten-path artifacts. Kat said they're going to be reissuing more albums, too. That has to include Aqua Regia, which is one of their best. I'd like Nocturne and Lights of the Ivory Plains reissued with their proper killer album art restored. They've never been issued on CD save as a two-fer with a generic beach-surf photo. I don't know wtf Fortuna did there. I listened to the shit out of LotIP on cassette.

Exchange hasn't been mentioned yet...might be too close to New Age for the original poster, but I thought it was quite good electronic prog/rock.
    The last two tracks on their first album were good, but the rest of it was, I dunno, too saccharine. Those guys were rock keyboardists who delved into a genre that was enjoying a surge in popularity. The next one, Between Places, bored me. Their music lacks a certain something to set it apart from Davol and Gene Newton and the other synth-playing new agers.

Ashra
    Tim Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    Mr. Battema is too humble to promote his own music but I enjoy it a lot and suspect others here would too: http://www.battema.net/albums.html
    Aside from being awful, horrible, vile turds upon the face of modern indie music....all those albums are currently OOP Working to stick 'em on bandcamp...

(Thanks for the nice words though Tom!)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Sons Optiques by the French keyboardist Francois Breant.
    Both of his solo albums are excellent.

And from the same school, Bernard Szajner (although there's quite a bit of bass - Paganotti! - and some guitar here as well):
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    electro/synth-prog? why, THE FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON of course!
    Dead Cities is absolutely marvellous, intricate electrock at its finest; VERY few people these past 25 years have achieved this level of refinement.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Kit & Coco - In Time
    I wish there were more tracks from this disc online -- this isn't the best track on the album by a long shot.
    It seems to be legitimately available for free from Kit Watkin's own site - http://www.kitwatkins.com/index_intime.htm I'd never heard this before so big thanks (and that goes for loads of stuff in this thread, too so thanks everyone).

ghostsofpompeii ghostsofpompeii's Avatar
    Here's another to add to your list:
    Amin Bhatia - "The Interstellar Suite".

if you're ok with Drum accompaniment then

Cybotron from Australia

and

Space Art from France

are both great bands with 3 albums each
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?