Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best drum recordings?

how about Donati on Chris Buck-3 Crows? Awesome, eh? Buck is awesome. Ex plumber is superb!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Lately I've been searching for good drum recordings, and finding them curiously rare. Dave Weckl's band is really well recorded, as is Steve Smith's Vital Information -- but neither features the drums quite as much as I'd like(!). Curt Cress Clan is a monster showcase for bass + drums, but the recording is 39 years old now and shows its age. Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" and "Time Further Out" (1959 & 1961 respectively) are even older, but surprisingly Joe Morello's drum recordings are actually better than almost anything contemporary I've heard (less compression!) I have the Sheffield Labs "Track Record / Drum Record" which are decent-enough recordings, but they're just demo recordings -- not really meant for listening. Esbjörn Svensson Trio (E.S.T.) has some lovely recording of piano, upright bass & drums but not really the driving dynamic powerhouse drumming I'm seeking.

Tony Williams? Art Blakey? Max Roach? Where should I be looking?

Oh, and another one I wanted to mention... Felix Martin-The Scenic Album.Real fat drums by Marco M. And another trio format.

In the 50s, there was an Ellington-Strayhorn suite composed called "A Drum Is A Woman" that shows them in a different light. I liked this album when I was 11 or 12 years old!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I always thought Hybris by Anglagard had a damn good drum sound considering it was recorded during the slow decline of gated reverb and electric drumming.

But the best?

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Bill Bruford's drum sound on Red was so crisp and perfect. Exhibit A is the subtle little fill he puts in Fallen Angel like 55 seconds in. It's a small triumph of technique and imagination, sure, but also of being mixed to the perfect level.

Glenn Kotche's work for Wilco is up there too--small and ever-so-slightly cordoned off from the chaos in a way that perfectly showcases his genius.

But then again I like Meg White's drumming on the first two White Stripes records and almost anything Steve Albini produced (er, recorded).

strange nobody mentioned how good Neal Peart was on Moving Pictures... fat bottom end, crystal clear cymbals. Drums production was revolutionary on MP as far as I'm concerned. Very modern sounding even by todays standards. I prefer that hard hitting bass that goes straignt for your diaphragm

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I was gonig to suggest Simon Phillips. He has a knack for tuning and capturing a very lively drum sound. The recent recordings with Hiromi are very nice.
    I thought the drum sound was well recorded on Hiromi's 'Brain' - Martin Valihora on drums
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 08-07-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: corrected surname
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Alan White on Big Generator.

Everything else is puny!
    If you like sticks on a table-top.

One of my favourite rock drum sounds is Keith Moon's on Who's Next. But drummers, like guitarists, have very individual preferences in tuning/tone/wood/heads, etc.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-08-2014 at 06:22 PM.

My untrained and uneducated ear sure likes Bruford's sound on UK...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Narada Michael Walden has many very good sounding performances from back in the day.
    Jeff Beck - Wired
    Tommy Bolin - Teaser
    ElliNova - Vimana

70's era Jean Luc Ponty featured some great sounding drumming, by
    Casey Schuerell, Steve Smith, Mark Craney, in fact, Craney has some great work with Tull (A), Gino vannelli, ponty

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Mine also...not sure if the are roto-toms he is using but I've always loved that somewhat "hollow" sound of some of those drum fills.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prglvr View Post
    Mine also...not sure if the are roto-toms he is using but I've always loved that somewhat "hollow" sound of some of those drum fills.
    as a hobbyist/semi-pro remastering technician, I have remastered well over 100 albums from vinyl sources and of all the albums I've ever worked on, there has only ever been *one* which needed absolutely *no* tweaking... the first UK album

I do not know who engineered, produced or mastered this album (obviously I could look) but they struck sheer perfection with that particular album.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Don Azzaro (RS) used to be good in capturing lively sounds. "BTW of Adventures" is prime example. That was the best production out of all TFK albums, as far as my preferences go. Salazar was their best drummer too.

KIYOHIKO SENBA, on the WHA HA HA and HANIWA CHAN studio albums.......

This is great! But i get the feeling we are not getting any closer to an answer. I find this to be troubling.

// Mattias

without understanding what a bad recording is... so I'll throw in an example from modern history: Headspace-I'm Anonymous.

I just found a new recording (new to me anyway -- it dates from 2004!) which rates as the new Best Drum Recording I've Ever Heard:

You have to hear this thing on a big dynamic stereo to appreciate it. It rocks the house down.

Joe’s garage is my favorite too

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    That's pretty subjective... I really like Joe's Garage- processed and crisp but natural. The drums on Breakfast In America are some of the best pop drums I think I've ever heard but I gather you want something more natural... All the Flim and The B.B.s direct to disk records sounded flippin' phenomenal. Try out Tricycle.

Believe it or not, I love the drums on Toys In The Attic by Aerosmith.

I think drums (and all the percussions) sound really good on Larks' Tongues In Aspic.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I think drums (and all the percussions) sound really good on Larks' Tongues In Aspic.
    Jamie Muir also sounds pretty good on "Ghost Dance" with Michael Giles & David Cunningham. Come to think of it, so does Michael Giles on "Progress" and John G. Perry's "Sunset Wading."

Ginger Baker's Airforce
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

One drummer who has always paid particular attention to capture the most detailed nuances from his drums and cymbals, at least in his solo records, is Bobby Previte. He has mentioned his obsession in various interviews he has given over the years. His drumming is not flashy, since he is first and foremost a composer, so the fact that he is not overplaying leaves room for the listener to marvel at the way he records his toms and cymbals, even to a non-drummer's ears as mine. It is unique.

I understand he may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has built an impressive discography since 1985. I think he has been mostly associated with the NY avant-garde scene, because of his frequent collaborations with John Zorn, Elliott Sharp et al, but his albums draw from a much broader palette. All his albums on the Gramavision label are highly recommended, particularly 'Empty Suits', although his later records with his "Bump the Renaissance" band (featuring Steve Swallow on bass) 'Just Add Water' and 'Counterclockwise' are also excellent.

Antoine Fafard - "Proto Mundi"

Hiromi - "Spark", "Alive", "Move", "Voice"

Big Big Train - "English Electric Part One"

Thieves' Kitchen - "The Clockwork Universe"

Steely Dan - "Aja" and all other albums