PDA

View Full Version : What are you listening to? Classical tips & reviews

PeterG
12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Tell us what classical music you are currently enjoying, or regularly listen to, give us tips and short reviews.

I'm currently going through a period of listening to modern classical organ music. The more gothic and scary the better.

Louis Vierne (1870-1917) - Trois Pieces de Fantasie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsa6TXBiIn4

Leon Boellmann (1862-1897) - 1. Suite Gothique 2. Elevation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QmtOLqhoo (if you recognise a bit of Barry Manilow in there around the 1.30 - 2.15 mark you won't be alone)

Both of these are on the one LP, being played by Piere Cochereau aux Grand Orgues de Notre Dame de Paris.

Very gothic, very modern, very scary in parts.

And extra points if you're listening on old vinyl.

PeterG
12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Also listening a lot to the modern Americans. I've got one old LP recorded in 1976 that I really like, from the M.I.T. Symphony Orchestra, David Epstein, conductor.
1. Aaron Copland - Dance Symphony
2. Walter Piston - Suite from the Ballet "The Incredible Flutist"

Q: Does the M.I.T. SO still exist?

PeterG
12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Wow! No classical fans here?

gregory
12-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Paul Hindemith Violin Concerto - BBC Philarmonic under Yan Pascal Tortelier, Leonidas Kavakos violin
Joseph Haydn Piano Trios nos 25-27 Patrick Cohen, Erich Hobarth, Christophe Coin
--my today's (or yesterday's) classical menu. Hindemith is one of my very favorite composers, I love most of his works. Violin Concero I have in several interpretations, this one I've mentioned isn't the best I have( the orchestra is thin), but also deserves attention.

walt
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm immersing myself in Glenn Gould- A State Of Wonder-The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 &1981.Exquisite.

Zeuhlmate
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
The last days:
John Dowland (Julian Bream)
Fauré: Requiem
Ravel: Daphne & Chloé.
Dvorak: American Quartet

Reid
12-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Lots of piano music.
Ravel by Louis Lortie on Chandos
Debussy by Paul Crossley on Sony
Prokofiev by Matti Raekallio on Ondine
Scriabin by Ruth Laredo, Glenn Gould
Beethoven Eroica Variations/Bagatelles by Glenn Gould

Bach Organ works by E. Power Biggs, and Marie Claire Alain

Also getting into some 20th century opera.

Alban Berg-Lulu Tate on EMI
Debussy-Pelleas et Melisande Claudio Abaddo on DG
Schoenberg-Moses und Aaron Pierre Boulez on Sony

gregory
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Schoenberg-Moses und Aaron Pierre Boulez on Sony
How'd you like it? IMO it was a torture. Boulez is different - could be perfect, and next time he's awful - even in lighter Shoenberg's stuff, like Chamber Symphony No.2.

Jymbot
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
That Walter Piston piece is a fine one!

Last thing I listened to was Fredrick Converse "The Mystic Trumpeter".

Yes, on vinyl...and maybe even MONO!

Reid
12-04-2012, 11:38 PM
How'd you like it? IMO it was a torture. Boulez is different - could be perfect, and next time he's awful - even in lighter Shoenberg's stuff, like Chamber Symphony No.2.

It's kind of an eerie piece. Especially the singing. And it conjures up creepy imagery of lewd bible stories about debauchery and idol worship. I have this on the Pierre Boulez Edition 6 CD set. It's a lot of Schoenberg vocal music. I wish it included Book Of Hanging Gardens.

As far as the chamber symphonies, I prefer no. 1. For some reason Sony included no. 2 on the all vocal Boulez set.

Whatever you do, don't buy Von Karajan's orchestral CD of Verklart Nacht. It's the biggest pile of mush I've ever heard.

I like this 2 CD set on EMI.
http://www.emiclassics.com/pack_image.php?icpn=5099920678524&size=190

Reach
12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I've been digging into the turn of the (previous) century British scene. I usually listen to a lot of Americans (yeah, Piston is fine) such as David Diamond, Howard Hanson, Samuel Barber and Aaron Copland. But lately I've been enjoying the likes of Parry, Stanford, Howells, Vaughan-Williams, Bliss, Bax, Alwyn, Rubbra, Ireland, Bridge, Holst, etc...Especially their tone poems and symphonies. There is such a rich, distintive heritage in the British scene. I love that drive toward cosmopolitan modernism tempered by the pastoral and timeless.

I've also been digging into the work conductor Charles Munch did with the Boston Symphony in the late '50's/early '60's--classic Romantic works. He tends to take it very crisp and brisk-- very engaging. And mostly very good sound on the remastered RCA CD series.

ChrisXymphonia
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy Von Karajan's orchestral CD of Verklart Nacht. It's the biggest pile of mush I've ever heard.

Well, that disc will always have a special place as it was my introduction into Schoenberg. Yep, it is quite a Romantic interpretation but you could argue that Verklarte Nacht is a hyperromantic piece just as his Pelleas And Mellisande. I also have a new (live) recording made by Janine Jansen and friends of the original chamber version which I still have to listen to but what I have heard about it it seems to be a very strong performance.

ChrisXymphonia
12-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I've been digging into the turn of the (previous) century British scene. I usually listen to a lot of Americans (yeah, Piston is fine) such as David Diamond, Howard Hanson, Samuel Barber and Aaron Copland. But lately I've been enjoying the likes of Parry, Stanford, Howells, Vaughan-Williams, Bliss, Bax, Alwyn, Rubbra, Ireland, Bridge, Holst, etc...Especially their tone poems and symphonies. There is such a rich, distintive heritage in the British scene. I love that drive toward cosmopolitan modernism tempered by the pastoral and timeless.

Make sure you don't miss out on Malcolm Arnold's symphonies and concertos (all them are availabe in stellar performances helmed by Vernon Handley, in the case of the symphonies). That particular drive you mention is very much apparent in Arnold's music but with one great addition: the man knew how to write stellar tunes as well.

walt
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
I've been digging into the turn of the (previous) century British scene. I usually listen to a lot of Americans (yeah, Piston is fine) such as David Diamond, Howard Hanson, Samuel Barber and Aaron Copland. But lately I've been enjoying the likes of Parry, Stanford, Howells, Vaughan-Williams, Bliss, Bax, Alwyn, Rubbra, Ireland, Bridge, Holst, etc...Especially their tone poems and symphonies. .

You might like the String Quartets of E.J.Moeran(1894-1950)British composer who lived in Ireland most of his life.I have a Naxos cd of his String Quartets and they're fine stuff.

Progmatic
12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
I always liked the music of the "old" masters and yes, it includes operas. However I have re-discovered recently modern composers like Arto Part, Philip Glass, Henryk Gorecki, Steve Roach, György Ligeti and I like it a lot...

rcarlberg
12-05-2012, 02:28 PM
And extra points if you're listening on old vinyl.Why? Where is the fairy dust in surface noise, rumble, clicks and pops?

Jymbot
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM

So very, very true.
You have garnered a Prog Masterman's respect, sir.

walt
12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Here's a YT clip of one of E.J.Moeran's String Quartets.Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-lGNP6QALE

Reach
12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I am familiar with Arnold and Moeran. I like them too. My tastes have usually run toward that kind of modernism; but what surprises me is how I've lately been enjoying the more 'stuffy' music of Stanford and Parry-- practical Brahmsian icons of the establishment. I'd like to think my tastes are just expanding :-)

walt
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I've been enjoying a Naxos cd of Trio Sonatas by Dietrich Buxtehude (1637-1707),who is best known for his organ compositions.These pieces are scored for violin, viola da gamba and keyboard(harpsichord/organ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iU96KG9eA

walt
12-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry, can't help myself.Here's another Trio Sonata-Violin Sonata No. 2 by Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber(1644-1704),scored for baroque violin,theorbo(a type of lute),and organ/harpsichord.What can i say, i like this stuff.Performed by Trio Romanesca from a great 2cd set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BYT4olll-g

Reid
12-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I just received this diverse collection (4-CD) featuring some obscure piano music in addition to music by Scriabin, Prokofiev, Berg, and Schumann. These 2012 re-issues are more affordable than the earlier Glenn Gould Editions, and feature extensive liner notes. Recommended over those cheap Sony cardboard box sets with no info.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51N1NSm7ksL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

simon moon
12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I tend to only enjoy 20th Century and beyond stuff lately.

Elliot Carter
Joseph Schwantner
Ersnt Krenek
Joan Tower
Olivier Messiaen
Xenakis
Wourinen
Webern
Schnitke
Ligeti
Penderecki

To name a few off the top of my head.

Love chamber works as well as symphonic works. 12tone, atonal, tonal...

I haven't been able to listen to anything written before about 1910 for a long time.

Fracktured
12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Alan Hovanness
Ralph Vaughan Williams

PeterG
12-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I've been digging into the turn of the (previous) century British scene........... Vaughan-Williams, Bliss, Bax, Alwyn, Rubbra, Ireland, Bridge, Holst, etc...Especially their tone poems and symphonies. There is such a rich, distintive heritage in the British scene. I love that drive toward cosmopolitan modernism tempered by the pastoral and timeless.

That is also my favourite period , especially the pieces that use old folk music and my favourite composer is Vaughan-Williams. If you haven't done so yet have a listen to Percy Grainger, Hamilton Harty, Gerald Finzi , Thomas Pitfield, Rebecca Clarke, George Butterworth.

gregory
12-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I am familiar with Arnold and Moeran. I like them too. My tastes have usually run toward that kind of modernism; but what surprises me is how I've lately been enjoying the more 'stuffy' music of Stanford and Parry-- practical Brahmsian icons of the establishment. I'd like to think my tastes are just expanding :-)
You have very distinctive taste, Reach! I wish I'd be as well informed as you in English classics. Arnold I like very much, I have his Piano Concerto on CD, good, imaginative music.

Dodie
12-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Well, I find something of interest in most periods, but the stuff I love most is late Renaissance through to late baroque. So, from Lassus to Handel via Gabrieli, Monteverdi, Schutz, Purcell, Bach, Vivaldi and Rameau. I actually listen to a lot more of this range of stuff day-in, day-out, than I listen to prog.

Fracktured
12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
With the Christmas season upon us I usually listen to several works of classic. Most notably would be Bach's Christmas Oratorio. Never cared much for Handel's Messiah, but I'd spin it once. There's Vaughan Williams Fantasia on Christmas Carols and Hodie. Britten's Christ's Nativity. There's many more.

Rick

Finn_McCool
12-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Rebecca Clarke is a really interesting and obscure composer whom I like a lot. Frederick Delius is another British composer who spent time in America whose output I really enjoy. I love his operas, chamber works, vocal works, choral works, tone pomes, etc. A vastly underrated composer.

Dodie
12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
With the Christmas season upon us I usually listen to several works of classic. Most notably would be Bach's Christmas Oratorio. Never cared much for Handel's Messiah, but I'd spin it once. There's Vaughan Williams Fantasia on Christmas Carols and Hodie. Britten's Christ's Nativity.

Ironically, Handel's Messiah isn't a Christmas work; it was designed for (and always performed by Handel) during Lent, and leading up to Easter; sometimes he gave charity performances a few weeks later in mid-May. I adore Handel for lots of reasons, but I tend to avoid Messiah at Christmas like the plague. It only became associated with the Christmas season posthumously, during the 19th century, particularly in the USA at first, but then quickly all over the western world.

I actually enjoy Bach's Christmas cantatas more than the Christmas Oratorio, which was designed to be performed on six different days during the Christmas period. In one sitting, it doesn't quite hang together and hold my interest. But BWV 63 (a Christmas Day cantata written during the earlier Weimar years) is a knock-out. Other great baroque Christmas music: Corelli's Op. 6 No. 8, Praetorius motets, bits and pieces by Alessandro Scarlatti, Schutz, etc.

And I absolutely agree about Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on Christmas Carols. In fact, I've been known to listen to it when it isn't even Christmas. The first 7 minutes or so are right up there with my absolute favourite music.

Today I was listening to song cycles by Leighton and Britten sung by the tenor James Gilchrist. Wonderful stuff.